Class Wrestling?????

devildog47959

I know this will be a heated debate. This is my opinion on class wrestling, I want to know how others feel.

You can't compare Class Football too Class wrestling.!!! In football the size of the school matters the more students you have the higher probability u have of getting bigger athletes. For example schools like WC or Ben Davis are always going to have that 6-3 250LBS O-line and those 6-4 Receivers.. And schools like Sheridan and Seeger might be lucky to have a handful of those guys. The bigger the school the bigger the pot is to pick your athletes from.  So it makes sense to have classes so the playing field is equal. Now in wrestling it doesn?t matter how big your school is because everything is weight based. If your 125 that means you?re going to wrestled other 125lbs.  So the playing level is already equal. 125 lbs is 125lbs no matter if you?re from a student body of 70 or from a student body of 3000. Compared to football where your line average is about 190-200 lbs at the 1A & 2A level compared to 250+ in 3, 4, & 5A.  So yea there is no way you can compare class football to class wrestling. The only way you could have 1 class in football and make it equal is to make rules for each position. For example make every school have the same O and D-line averages. So WC and BD would have to adjust there lines to the size of the 1 and 2A. But that is never going to happen. Class football is fair and just. But to make wrestling a class sport would be a disaster. There is no need to divide by class. The field is already equal.  To know that you are a SQ means your 1 of 16 wrestlers left at your weight class in the entire state. And that really means something. It gives guys from smaller school that chance to prove that they are just as good as athletes as guys from big schools. And it gives u such pride and motivation to know that you will have the chance to wrestle/beat every guy at your weight class in the entire state no matter what size his school is. So yea I would hate to see the day that is IHSAA divides wrestling into classes....  no need to try and fix something that isn't broken.  Indiana High School wrestling is great because of the way it is run. 16 finalist 1 true champion.  I can't imagine it being any other way.

• Replies 712
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I want a yes or no answer to this question. Do bigger schools have a distinct advantage over small schools due to the size of their student body?

I am confused as you stated in one sentence that they do, but in another one, state that they do not.

Yes bigger schools do have the advantage in sports like football, but not in wrestling.  Wrestling is broken down by weight classes, therefore there is no adavantage to any school of any size.

So having more athletes in the room doesn't help kids?  Having more practice partners and having a greater quality of practice partner isn't a distinct advantage?

Well why is wrestling broken down into weight classes then?  Shouldn't a 110lbs kid be able to wrestle with a 200lbs kid.  Size shouldn't matter, right?

So having more athletes in the room doesn't help kids?  Having more practice partners and having a greater quality of practice partner isn't a distinct advantage?

Well why is wrestling broken down into weight classes then?  Shouldn't a 110lbs kid be able to wrestle with a 200lbs kid.  Size shouldn't matter, right?

Now your just getting ridiculous...... Size of enrolement should not matter when it comes to wrestling. The only reason it matters in football is to level the playing field. But dividing wrestling into weight classes is the leveling of the playinf field. Therefore there os no reason to divide wrestling into classes based on enrolment

Now your just getting ridiculous...... Size of enrolement should not matter when it comes to wrestling. The only reason it matters in football is to level the playing field. But dividing wrestling into weight classes is the leveling of the playinf field. Therefore there os no reason to divide wrestling into classes based on enrolment

You didnt answer the questions posed.  Enrollment clearly does matter and all data collected has shown this to be true. 

More kids=more coaches...which I know most small schools would not get. I will take 22 kids in the room with a lot more one on one instruction. I'll be honest if I had 50 kids in my room:

1) I would have troubles getting enough coaches to get a good coach to wrestler ratio

2) They would not fit

WoW! Please read: http://www.indianamat.com/where-are-they-now-with-jeremy-hart/2009/01/

then go down to: Views on Class Wrestling (A big debate within the State of Indiana, I just want to get your perspective since you were a part of both sides):

Baaaaa Humbug....what does he know

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.