Lowest Individual Winning Percentage To Win State

RunningTrails

I did a little research to find out what the lowest winning percentage for an individual state champion was. Back in the 1988-1989 season, Pete Knecht from Huntington North, wrestling at 145, won state with a 32-6 record, which is a winning percentage of .842. He also has the most losses for a state champion, with six. The won/lost records only go back to the 1968-1969 season. So it's very possible that someone had a lower winning percentage or more losses. Maybe some the old timers on this forum can provide additional information on this topic.

Pete Knecht won state @145 in 1993-1994    his record was 33-6

You are correct about him wrestling during the 1993-1994 season, but according to the ISHAA, his record was 32-6. Obviously, I have no idea which is correct. If it was 33-6, then his winning percentage was .846, not .842.

Mike Mossbrucker of Bloomington North.

155 lbs in 1976.

22-6 = .785

The Imperial Potentate and Grand Poobah of Classless wrestling in Indiana.

I wear my Fez with pride.

www.theancientelder.net

Thanks for the update. That information wasn't listed on the ISHAA site.

What about the lowest winning percentage to make it to the championship match?

The few names that come to mind are Danny Creasap in 2001 (42-7) and Steven Minton had 5 or 6 losses (all to Rosbottom) in 2000.

Someone needs to help me out with the old days though...80's and earlier.

I believe John Gillespie from Bloomington South would hold this record. He was close to a .500 record (if not a losing record). Can TAE correct me if I'm wrong?

John was a State Champ in 1971 (145lbs) and his regular season record was 16 - 18.

What about the lowest winning percentage to make it to the championship match?

The few names that come to mind are Danny Creasap in 2001 (42-7) and Steven Minton had 5 or 6 losses (all to Rosbottom) in 2000.

Someone needs to help me out with the old days though...80's and earlier.

One of Stevie's losses was To Jankowski that year in the finals at the MD Classic, by Tech Fall I believe.

I believe John Gillespie from Bloomington South would hold this record. He was close to a .500 record (if not a losing record). Can TAE correct me if I'm wrong?

John was a State Champ in 1971 (145lbs) and his regular season record was 16 - 18.

That is amazing.  Is he that big old referee named Gillespie?

Yes

Yes

I am not sure what's more amazing, The fact he won, or the fact he could see well enough to find the mat at state!    ;)

Yes

I am not sure what's more amazing, The fact he won, or the fact he could see well enough to find the mat at state!    ;)

He always seems to see well enough to find the mat.  It's just seeing everything after that seems to be the problem. ::)

Yes

He always seems to see well enough to find the mat.  It's just seeing everything after that seems to be the problem. ::)

Of course imagining him at 145 is a bit of a mind boggler also! 

He always sees well enough to watch the other matches going on. When the Pton 215 lber was hurt on mat 2, we were wrestling Kercher on mat 3. He spent more time watching what was happening on mat 2. Kercher and my kid were in a scramble on the out-of-bounds line, then out-of-bounds, then back-in-bounds...finally they went out stopped, got up and headed back center....the whistle had never blown!!! Some times you just have to laugh. I was still waiting for him to call a pin from his feet by stomping the mat ;D ala. the late Don Henry.

JB

I was still waiting for him to call a pin from his feet by stomping the mat ;D ala. the late Don Henry.

JB

I was just talking about this at practice the other day.  I never would have believed it if I didn't see it myself.  I had no idea this guy passed.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.