What atributes make a great wrestler.

SlickRodz

I did not wrestle in HS (now I wish I did). My son is a Sophomore and loves this sport. I support him because he is my son and to be honest wrestling has really grown on me and I believe it will help to make good men.

Now for those of you that have been around wrestling for years, what ingredients make the perfect wrestler. Use the ingredients below and add your own as necessary. Please list in order of importance (1 most important....) describe why one attribute is more important than another.

Speed

Strength

Technique

Heart

Controlled Aggression/ mental toughness

Family support

Strong Coach

other.........

Good work out partners

Seeking out the toughest competition in or out of your area

Mental toughness

So off season work with RTC's, National tourney's and such are right up there in your mind?

Yes even if you go and get your head handed to you at the nationals, you need to find out where you are weak, and figure out what to do to fix it.

And the RTC's help you by getting a different coach, meeting new wrestlers, and finding new moves that work for or against your style.

Get the wrestler into a CIA, or something along those lines. I am partial to Ed Pendoski at CIA, he has helped my son every year he has been going to him.

This is from Ed in another post on the board. The rooms that he has are filled with some of the toughest kids in the state.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CIA Indy is now setting our spring sessions.  Our high school groups have filled the past 4 years.  There are over 50 wrestlers in this weekend's Semi-States that worked out with us last spring/summer.  Please don't wait if to contact us if you plan on training with us this spring/summer.

We will have two separate facilities starting this spring.

CIA Indy (new location at Cathedral HS's wrestling room)

Green Group (beginners) Sundays 2:00-3:00

Blue Group (7th grade and under) Sundays 3:15-4:45, Wednesdays 6:45-8:15

Orange Group (high school over 140 lbs) Sundays/Mondays 5:00-6:30

Red Group (high school under 140 lbs) Sundays/Mondays 6:45-8:15

CIA Zionsville (new location at Zionsville HS's wrestling room)

Middle school and under.  Thursdays 5:00-6:30

High School.  Thursdays 6:45-8:15

Please contact us if you are interested in getting in to workout with us or if you have any questions.  Our groups have filled the past years so please let us know as soon as possible.

ependoski@wrestlingcia.com

1. Willingness to listen to and learn from the coaching staff.

2. Positive work ethic (i.e. be at practice everyday, work your butt off, keep pushing yourself, etc.).

3. Willingness to improve your technique everyday.

4. An intense mental toughness.

5. An attitude that no one can beat you if you wrestle your best.

6. The ability to control your weight from day-to-day.

7. Wrestle tough one second, one minute, one period and one match at a time.

8. Out of season training (lifting, conditioning, freestyle, open gyms, etc.).

9. Minimize those things that will keep you from obtaining your goals (i.e. girls, parties, cars, alcohol, drugs, etc.).

Coach Vic

First, you have to define "great".  Not to be flipid, but I think the benefits of kids being involved in wrestling weigh heavier then their ultimate wrestling resume.  I know guys that have accomplished National recognition and others that were the "big fish in a small pond".....none of which matters when you are more then 18 years old for most of them.  It is the impact of the overall wrestling experience that lasts and makes them individuals that I want on my team as friends and co-workers.  All that said, if you want to measure "greatness" in the win column alone, my list is as follows in order of importance ;

MAT TIME

Quality work-out partners

MAT TIME

Quality coaching

MAT TIME

MAT TIME

MAT TIME

MAT TIME

MAT TIME

MAT TIME

Of course all of this causes a conundrum in "my world" as I am a firm believer in a kid getting the "full" benefit of his/her HS experience....aka. be involved and diversified in your interest.  I am old school in thinking that if a kid is 140lbs. plus walking the halls, he has something to contribute to the football team as well....If he is blessed with speed, he could probably help the track, soccer and/or cross country team...if he grew up playing ball in the back yard with his buddies, he might be the best baseball player in the school AND a wrestler.  Heck the kid may be comfortable and confident beyond any of his peers and be the perfect person to be involved in theatre or music (wrestling does build confidence!)

Of course all of the time spent doing these things means less time available for MAT TIME.  Kids that want to be basketball players can go to any park or driverway and shoot baskets, baseball players can go to the batting cages or play catch, football guys can play catch in the yard, go 7 on 7, or a pick-up game at the park.  Wrestlings equivalent is the open room or RTC and freestyle/greco tnmts.  Seldom have I been able to go to the local park and wrestle without sirens being involved at some point. ;D

First, you have to define "great".  Not to be flipid, but I think the benefits of kids being involved in wrestling weigh heavier then their ultimate resume.  I know guys that have accomplished National recognition and others that were the "big fish in a small pond".....none of which matters when you are more then 18 for most of them.  It is the impact of the experience that lasts and makes them individuals that I want on my team as friends and co-workers.  All that said, if you want to measure "greatness" in the win column alone, my list is as follows in order of importance ;

MAT TIME

Quality work-out partners

MAT TIME

Quality coaching

MAT TIME

MAT TIME

MAT TIME

MAT TIME

MAT TIME

MAT TIME

Of course all of this causes a conundrum in "my world" as I am a firm believer in a kid getting the "full" benefit of the HS experience....aka. be involved and diversified in your interest.  I am old school in thinking that if a kid is 140lbs. plus walking the halls, he has something to contribute to the football team as well....If he is blessed with speed, he could probably help the track and/or cross country team...if he grew up playing ball in the back yard with his buddies, he might be the best baseball player in the school AND a wrestler.  Heck the kid may be comfortable and confident beyond any of his peers and be the perfect person to be involved in theatre or music (wrestling does build confidence!)

Of course all of the time spent doing these things means less time available for MAT TIME.  Kids that want to be basketball players can go to any park and shoot baskets, baseball players can go to the batting cages or play catch, football guys can play catch in the yard or a pick-up game in the back yard.  Wrestlings equivalent is the open room or RTC and freestyle/greco tnmts.  Seldom have I been able to go to the local park and wrestle without sirens being involved at some point.

oh and dont forget mat time

Confidence, knowing that your going to go out there, and beat that guy. It's all in your head.

I equate Confidence to Mental Toughness. It's not all encompassing but it is not possible to be mentally tough without it. I also agree totally that wrestling is a mental sport (impossible to explain to a HS Soph) and the man who thinks he can win....usually does!

I think it takes technique (good coaching) first.  Then I would say wrestling intelligence (ability to comprehend how and why things work), and the ability to use that knowledge during a match.  Next would be speed/quickness.  Can't teach it and hard to defend against.  Next would be strength.  Strength can overcome deficencies in the other areas, but is not hard to defeat with good technique.

I think most good wrestlers have the physical and technical tools down pat.  But what separates the great wrestlers from the good is from the neck up.  Good wrestlers think they can win, while the great ones know they will.  It's a state of mind that can really only be reached through conditioning, experience, and quality of workouts in my opinion.

Flexibility is huge, but there is a wierd thing called "hips" that wrestlers need.  Some wrestlers just have them, others do not.  Some aspects of "hips" can be taught and learned through experience, but much of it seems to be natural,.

I would way "hips" are probably the most important physical part of wrestling.

You are correct, of course . . . and Elvis would have really kicked butt.

I am old school in thinking that if a kid is 140lbs. plus walking the halls, he has something to contribute to the football team as well..

140 pound football players here at warren are on the freshman team. They wont talk to you here unless you are over 180. ;D

Flexibility is huge, but there is a wierd thing called "hips" that wrestlers need.  Some wrestlers just have them, others do not.  Some aspects of "hips" can be taught and learned through experience, but much of it seems to be natural,.

I would way "hips" are probably the most important physical part of wrestling.

You are correct, of course . . . and Elvis would have really kicked butt.

Yeah I could really see him banging that right hip bone into someone's eye three or for times in row when they would shoot on him.

Yes we all know about Elvis the pelvis but don't forget about his brother Enis...

"There are two things in their lives they can control - their attitude and effort." ~Kelvin Sampson

Put that in your Signature and smoke it!  :D

Although true, I wouldn't want to go around quoting Kelvin Sampson, especially in this state.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.