So Close to the Perfect System!

That1Guy

Sectional:

By cutting 64 Sectionals down to 32 and allowing wrestle backs the IHSAA has created the perfect Sectional Level.

Regional:

The Regional needs to be run just like the Sectional bracket!  By allowing all 8 wrestlers a chance to wrestle back you will create the

perfect Regional!!!!!!

Semi-State:

Although the addition of the Regional 4th place finisher is nice! Wrestlebacks from the second round would create the perfect Semi-

State format!

State:

Friday Night is Perfect as is!

Saturday needs to have a true wrestleback to 3rd place!

That is the Perfect System.  It takes away screwing kids with blind draws and forces everyone to decide it on the mat!

Perfect by whos standards? i Think the blind draws make or break ya step up and deliver if you want to win.

I'm sorry Fabio, but I hate this elitist attitude. There are only so many state qualifying spots for kids to "step up and deliver." Hypothetically, you could have the #1 and #3 kids wrestle in the ticket round. Only one can "step up and deliver," as you say. I believe that it's only logical to have a wrestleback from the ticket round forth.

I'm a little hesitant on the sectional part, your talking 20-24 teams...long day if not 2 days.

The regionals on I agree.

ff

The sectional round has 32 sectionals now. They cut it down from 64 sectionals back around the 2001-2002 season. He was saying that the sectionals are good the way they are now.

I don't think we need to make sectionals any larger than they currently are though it would allow for regional to be cut and a jump straight to a semi-state.  I currently feel the regional event with two sectionals combining and one win allows you to advance is a little simplistic in its current form.  My solution would be finding a better way to organized regionals from its current form.

I'm a little hesitant on the sectional part, your talking 20-24 teams...long day if not 2 days.

The regionals on I agree.

ff

The sectional round has 32 sectionals now. They cut it down from 64 sectionals back around the 2001-2002 season. He was saying that the sectionals are good the way they are now.

Went right over my head...I'm tired.

ff

I just wish they would allow location changes.....more offten, allow the location of the Sectional & Regional rotate, or allow schools with the means to bid on the event. 

I would not know what it is like to go to the same gym twice for a sectional. my sons 1st year as varsity, we went to Franklin Central, the 2nd year we went to Shelbyville, and this year it was held at Warren. One thing that is not good about it, is you dont ever get to establish a routine. On the other hand, if that routine did not work for you then it might be a good thing.

Here are 2 systems I'd like to throw out there.

System #1

Sectionals

16 sites

roughly 20 teams per over 2 days - full wrestlebacks

top 4 advance to Ind. Regionals (Semi-State)

top 4 teams advance to Team Regionals

Regionals (Semi-State)

4 sites

wrestlebacks from ticket-round forth

top 4 advance to Ind. State

State

Just the way it is now

This next system is for the Y2's of the world who want more state qualifiers (minus the class system). Not very probable with the IHSAA, but I like entertaining ideas.

System #2

Sectionals

32 sites

ran just the way it is now

top 4 advance to Ind. Regionals (Semi-State)

top 2 teams advance to Team Regionals

Regionals (Semi-State)

8 sites - 16 wrestler weight classes

wrestlebacks from the ticket round forth

top 4 advance to Ind. State

State

32 wrestler weight classes

single-elimination to the quarter-finals then wrestled like it is now

The reason why I'm cutting out a week is so that we can put Team Regionals in on a Saturday after the individual series. Both systems would be wrestled over the same 5 week span as the current system, so I think the IHSAA would be willing to listen. I'd think it would be beneficial to have eight 8-team regional tournaments, then have Team State the following week.

I just wish they would allow location changes.....more offten, allow the location of the Sectional & Regional rotate, or allow schools with the means to bid on the event. 

I would not know what it is like to go to the same gym twice for a sectional. my sons 1st year as varsity, we went to Franklin Central, the 2nd year we went to Shelbyville, and this year it was held at Warren. One thing that is not good about it, is you dont ever get to establish a routine. On the other hand, if that routine did not work for you then it might be a good thing.

We have gone to Jay County for Sectional and for Regional for the past five years.......I am not knocking Jay County's ability to run these events......I just think others schools should get an oppertunity once in awhile.

The biggest issue is finding a school that is willing, adequate in size, and also capable of running the event smoothly.  If a few school that meet those specifications volunteer it wouldn't be to hard to actually have the coaches and ADs of that area vote on where they would want to have the sectional or regional for the following year.  Then in the event of a close vote (one or two votes seperating each school) they could agree to easily alternate between the two sites.   But that would mean some schools giving up their long standing stronghold on the event and that would ruffle a few feathers to say the least.

Those of us that have been going to Carroll for years, realize adequate size has nothing to do with it!

I'm pretty sure that has more to do with the pull of a certain former Carroll coach by the name of Ed Fox.  Definitely not the best available facility.  IMO Carroll should have lost their regional instead of Snider when they went to super sectionals.

Everyone knows that it takes a lot of organization, a lot of volunteers, some folks with a wrestling background, and an administration that WANTS to host and cares about doing a good job.  If you have all of those things at your school and your tourney host does not, you need to apply to the IHSAA to host.  Rochester High School got the Regional tourney this year because no one else in our regional area wanted to host and the former host lost their Athletic Director, who had done a great job for a number of years.  Some people enjoy hosting tourneys for the IHSAA  -- but believe me when I say that it is a lot of work and you make little or NO money when you host an event for the state. 

As far as the current tournament, it is not perfect but it is much better than any system that we have had in the past in Indiana.  You are always going to have examples of a wrestler that was in a tough weight class in his sectional or regional or that got a bad draw at the semi-state.  We could be swimmers where only the Sectional Champ in a 15 team sectional goes onto the State Meet --- no second or third chances to have a bad day/bad match.  Or you could be in the football Sectional with FW Luers and Jimtown - no second chances there either.     

The one change I would like to see is wrestlebacks at semi-state from quarterfinals on.  I think the greatest flaw in the system has always been state-placers getting knocked out in the semi-state ticket round (Jankowski etc...).  I feel adding the 4th place regional qualifier adds very little to the sport.  It just makes semi-state longer.  Adding the 4th place regional qualifer makes semi-state longer by the length of one dual meet.  Adding wrestlebacks from the quarterfinals on would add the length of half a dual meet to the day.

So my system would only advance three from regional and have semi-state wrestlebacks from the quarters on.

I love wcs145's system 2.  The one add on I would make is have full wrestlebacks to 3rd for all 32 wrestlers.  This would make state a full two day event but how great would that be?

The one change I would like to see is wrestlebacks at semi-state from quarterfinals on.  I think the greatest flaw in the system has always been state-placers getting knocked out in the semi-state ticket round (Jankowski etc...).  I feel adding the 4th place regional qualifier adds very little to the sport.  It just makes semi-state longer.  Adding the 4th place regional qualifer makes semi-state longer by the length of one dual meet.  Adding wrestlebacks from the quarterfinals on would add the length of half a dual meet to the day.

So my system would only advance three from regional and have semi-state wrestlebacks from the quarters on.

I love wcs145's system 2.  The one add on I would make is have full wrestlebacks to 3rd for all 32 wrestlers.  This would make state a full two day event but how great would that be?

The biggest issue with system #2 is getting the IHSAA to expand State to 32 wrestler weight classes.  With doubling the number of state qualifiers, you're almost doubling the number of matches.  From what I understand, Conseco is rented out for State.  Obviously Conseco would need to be rented out longer with this system, so it's going to cost more money for the IHSAA.  I'm going to go out on a limb and say that they'd be resistant to that.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.