State of Indiana Wrestling

NickS

I think the girl you are refering you is C.C. Weber, and if you are, she's definately no slouch and I'd be willing to bet she would go to state in Indiana too.  She comes from a great wrestling family, her brother Mark was a 4x state champion in Michigan and currently wrestles for the Michigan Wolverines.  So for you to base a states competetive rank among other states on a girl going to state there is a joke, and a distasteful one at that.  Women's wrestling has come a long way in the past decade.  Have fun telling Terry Steiner his girls can't hang with anyone at a competitive level.

I'm not going to talk trash about girls wrestling i was just saying that you can't base the quality of michigan on there state qualifiers because that have 4 times as many state qualifiers as Indiana. I support girls wrestling and think that there should be more states with high school girls wrestling. I go to the University of the Cumberlands(has a great girls wrestling team) most of the girls come from Texas and Cali(both have high school girls wrestling) the are also girls from Ohio and Mich. I will say the the girls on the team are dedicated and I like that.

actually they'll say what they placed pause then say but it was div what ever. Most of my team mates would have rather one div. My roomate last year was a 3x AA in NAIA and never placed in Ohio D1(their big school div) but he beat placers in other div. and even beat the D3(smallest div.) State champ. my friend from Michigan who is a 2 time state champ wished it was 1 div because people said that he wouldn't have won state at all in 1 div.

I can elaborate on my postion...

now to get you to understand my perspective can be very skewed ha

i have not seen a lot of  Indiana Wrestling sadly, which that alone makes my opinion worthless ha

but im saying  i feel th the overall skill has decreased.

which after thinking more deeply in to it i also think back to  tsirtis,  angel, andre, reece, and even howe.

which is kind of unfair as they are probably the best bunch in a while out come out.  Indiana may not have that caliber of wrestler but they have a ton of "half angels" if you will making the depth of the state better

which makes me now want to say that the "DEPTH" of Indiana is on the rise, while the "Strict Talent" may be lower than in years prior.

if that doesn't make sense its not your fault, im very hard to understand at times.

ALSO

i did what Y2 asked and surveyed some Ohio and Michigan and even PA placers

zero of them stated the class they succeeded in

example Matt Clum was a 215lb State Champ. (i had to ask him what division he won D2 btw)

Michal Lybarger was a 2x State Runner-up (this year i finally learned it was in D1)

Derrick Hill took 3rd place (just asked him, divison3)

not one of these kids stated i was a Div x Blah blah and then end it with a  pouty face and say it was meaningless, all of them said it with pride and a feeling of accomplishment..

Just to plays devils advicate with Fabio and Y2's conversation.  What was the reasoning for not saying what division they were in when the questions was asked.  That is a hard one to assess.  Was it a total sense of pride reguardless of division as Y2 is implies?  Or does saying it that way sound more impressive to the general persion than adding a division title to it as others may assume?  Especially if it was in a smaller school division which is usually labeled the weaker of the divisions by others in their state.  I guess it depends on how each of the wrsetlers really feel about the situation as a whole when they answer  the question.  By the way I'm sure all of them to feel some type of pride and a sense of accomplishment for placing high in any division in a tough wrestling states as anyone would.  The amount pride in the divison they were in or the pride in that it was done within any type of divison at all is what is hard determine.

Either way I'm not sure this type of survey really helps in evaluating the need for class wrestling in Indiana. It just shows how a few state placers feel about their accomplishments in their particular classed tournament in their own home state.

As for the original topic I believe our state as a whole is on the rise in wrestling.  The difficult thing to assess is if we are rising faster than the other top states around us.  If so we are slowly gaining ground as far as overall national talent.  If not we are improving our state, but other state are also improveing at the same rate if not more.   Individual talent wise we are starting to make an impact on the national scene and people are taking notice.  As a total group though we are not making small advances, but still not in the same league as several other state who have a much longer history of overall developement of the youth age on up.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.