Logansport Regional

DelphiHWT

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The way its going now, the sport will die.  How many other sports does Tsirtsis play?

Why because you haven't started a youth program?????  ???  And not sure about the Tsirtsis kid

I have coached varsity football, high school wrestling, middle school wrestling and track since 1993.  Never have coached fewer then 3 sport seasons in 16 years and have done 4 seasons for about 8 of those years.  Teaching and coaching is 365 for many small school coaches.  You don't need to pat me on the back but please don't say I'm not working hard.

The way its going now, the sport will die. How many other sports does Tsirtsis play?

Why because you haven't started a youth program????? ??? And not sure about the Tsirtsis kid

I have coached varsity football, high school wrestling, middle school wrestling and track since 1993. Never have coached fewer then 3 sport seasons in 16 years and have done 4 seasons for about 8 of those years. Teaching and coaching is 365 for many small school coaches. You don't need to pat me on the back but please don't say I'm not working hard.

Exactly! Small school coaches have to work 2-3x as hard and typically don't have as many assistants either. You're forced to become the master of  doing more with less.

The way its going now, the sport will die.  How many other sports does Tsirtsis play?

Why because you haven't started a youth program?????  ???  And not sure about the Tsirtsis kid

I have coached varsity football, high school wrestling, middle school wrestling and track since 1993.  Never have coached fewer then 3 sport seasons in 16 years and have done 4 seasons for about 8 of those years.  Teaching and coaching is 365 for many small school coaches.  You don't need to pat me on the back but please don't say I'm not working hard.

Not saying you aren't!!!!  ;)  You just made the comment that the sport was going to die!!!  ::)  In which I don't believe it will  ;D

Glad you see it my way.  No one would consider MD in any way typical or representative.

Why don't you enlighten us about whats not typical or representative about 3A Mater Dei??? 

Graduation Rate: 99%

Daily Attendance Rate: 98%

Graduate Information:

4-year college-university: 81%

2-year college: 14%

Military: less than 1%

Job Entry: 4%

Show me a public school with those numbers.

I am not sure who is on whose side here but just for informational purposes Porras is a DB on the football team.

Thanks...I honestly don't know about the individuals but I do know the number of 2 and 3 sport athletes at small schools is FAR more then at big schools.

Glad you see it my way.  No one would consider MD in any way typical or representative.

Why don't you enlighten us about whats not typical or representative about 3A Mater Dei??? 

1. ISTEP passing rate 20-25% above the state norm

2. 1% free, 1% reduced lunch.

3. 20% more students receiving honors diploma then state norm.

For those opposed to wrestling being classed, should we not class football?  Isn't it still 11 guys on each side of the ball?  If big school throttles the small school is it still because the big school works harder?  I know that wrestling is an individual sport, but a lot of what happens on a football field still comes down to how you handle the guy across from you. 

At Garrett, we have had eight state qualifiers in the past six years.  One was a one sport athlete, two were two sport athletes, five were three sport athletes.  Go survey Crown Point and their state qualifiers and see if 87% of their state qualifiers are multi-sport athletes.

Each kid has to decide what is best for himself/herself.  If a kid wants to be a multi-sport star at thier school that is great or if a kid wants to specialize in a particular sport then that's great also.  I understand the pressures to participate in multiple sports and that is not exclusive to kids at small schools.  Every sports team trys to get the best athletes in thier school to participate regardless of the size of the school.  Ultimately, each kid has to decide what is best for themself.

We have approximately 125 kids in the school that are athletes total. We cannot have kids that are one sport athletes or we'll have a soccer team with 10 kids, cross country team with 6, football team with 25, wrestling team with 15, basketball team with 20, track team with 20, golf team with 8, and baseball team with 15. In order for the athletic programs to survive at the small school level, the athletes MUST be shared or programs will be cut. Personally, I think we need to have as many extracurricular activities as possible, I guess you would be all for just having football, basketball and baseball at most small schools.

We have maybe 20 kids in the athletic program that specialize in one sport and that honestly is a high estimate.

Look I have coached at Pioneer for 9 years I have seen it first hand.  When I earned my 5th place medal I gave up baseball and football after my junior year to focus soley on wrestling.  Wrestling is not just an individual sport anymore its team champion is determined on team format of duals... and btw this country is going to to hell in a handbasket because OF DEMOCRATS!!! ;D

At Garrett, we have had eight state qualifiers in the past six years.  One was a one sport athlete, two were two sport athletes, five were three sport athletes.  Go survey Crown Point and their state qualifiers and see if 87% of their state qualifiers are multi-sport athletes.

Each kid has to decide what is best for himself/herself.  If a kid wants to be a multi-sport star at thier school that is great or if a kid wants to specialize in a particular sport then that's great also.  I understand the pressures to participate in multiple sports and that is not exclusive to kids at small schools.  Every sports team trys to get the best athletes in thier school to participate regardless of the size of the school.  Ultimately, each kid has to decide what is best for themself.

At a small school it is NOT great if a kid wants to specialize.  If this gets started at a small school, it snow balls and all programs suffer mightily.  Or as Galagore said, the sport dies.  It has happened to tennis and x-country in the past at the school I am at and it very nearly took out football about 6 years back when a group of kids thought they were the next fab 5 for basketball.

We have approximately 125 kids in the school that are athletes total.  We cannot have kids that are one sport athletes or we'll have a soccer team with 10 kids, cross country team with 6, football team with 25, wrestling team with 15, basketball team with 20, track team with 20, golf team with 8, and baseball team with 15.  In order for the athletic programs to survive at the small school level, the athletes MUST be shared or programs will be cut.  Personally, I think we need to have as many extracurricular activities as possible, I guess you would be all for just having football, basketball and baseball at most small schools.

We have maybe 20 kids in the athletic program that specialize in one sport and that honestly is a high estimate.

There are advantages and disadvantages.  In large schools a kid might want to participate in another sport but isn't good enough.  Does that mean he should move to a small school district to be able to participate.  No, he/she makes the best choice for themself.

I completely understand the difference in large and small schools and that is why I am in favor of having classes in TEAM sports including the TEAM portion of the state wrestling tournament.

There are advantages and disadvantages.  In large schools a kid might want to participate in another sport but isn't good enough.  Does that mean he should move to a small school district to be able to participate.  No, he/she makes the best choice for themself.

I completely understand the difference in large and small schools and that is why I am in favor of having classes in TEAM sports including the TEAM portion of the state wrestling tournament.

If the kid really wants to compete in 3 sports but can't at a large school, he or she could easily transfer to a small school to do that now with open transfers.  In the same respect, a kid that wants to focus on one sport can now transfer to a big school. 

The first option I don't see happening but the second one is a huge concern.  Will the best wrestlers at Bremen or LaVille now transfer to Mishawaka, will the best kids at Indian Creek now transfer to Center Grove or Franklin?  Will the rich get richer?  Will the IHSAA still be stuck in the 1950s?

We have approximately 125 kids in the school that are athletes total.  We cannot have kids that are one sport athletes or we'll have a soccer team with 10 kids, cross country team with 6, football team with 25, wrestling team with 15, basketball team with 20, track team with 20, golf team with 8, and baseball team with 15.  In order for the athletic programs to survive at the small school level, the athletes MUST be shared or programs will be cut.  Personally, I think we need to have as many extracurricular activities as possible, I guess you would be all for just having football, basketball and baseball at most small schools.

You do not understand the dynamics of a small school athletic program.  As a coach I cannot, nor will I ever tell a kid to not go out for another sport.  I have been approached in the past by kids asking if they should play baseball in the spring or wrestle.  I tell them to do both.  At CE, your coach can tell them to forget baseball and the baseball coach will be able to find another player in the hallways or at the tryouts that will be able to fill that spot that is equal or close to equal that kid.  At Garrett, the coach is SOL and will be lucky to find someone that is half as good.  Small school athletic programs have a drastically different look than big schools.  This affects both the TEAM and INDIVIDUAL.

You do not understand the dynamics of a small school athletic program.  As a coach I cannot, nor will I ever tell a kid to not go out for another sport.  I have been approached in the past by kids asking if they should play baseball in the spring or wrestle.  I tell them to do both.  At CE, your coach can tell them to forget baseball and the baseball coach will be able to find another player in the hallways or at the tryouts that will be able to fill that spot that is equal or close to equal that kid.  At Garrett, the coach is SOL and will be lucky to find someone that is half as good.  Small school athletic programs have a drastically different look than big schools.  This affects both the TEAM and INDIVIDUAL.

I do understand in helping a kid decide what is best for them.  I also would never tell a kid not to participate in another sport.  In fact I encourage it.  I wouldn't want a coach from another sport to tell a kid not to wrestle.  I don't think the coaches at CE are in the practice of discourging kids from participating in other sports.   I do however, strongly recomend our wrestlers participate in off season wrestling practices, tournaments, camps, etc....  For those multi sport athletes that means alot of extra time, but the best athletes seem to enjoy making that sacrifice.  You know as well as I do that most of the best wrestlers in the state spend the time in the offseason getting better.  This is true for kids from both large and small schools.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.