Reinoehl Reinstatement - IHSAA Hypocrisy

With the Trent  Reinoehl regaining eligibility from the IHSAA through a loophole, I think it is an incredible injustice to the integrity of Team State. A few givens to start off this topic:

1. I know there is another thread on this, but I didn't want to attack the kid, I want to challenge the system.

2. If Cathedral didn't advance to face Mishawaka, I would have let this die. Yes, I am being a little selfish.

3. I am a little hungover, surly, and feel like picking a fight.

4. The lovefest from the parents and Mishawaka nation in regards to this coup is a little nauseating.

So, the public school gets the transfer eligibility waved by the IHSAA through a loophole for a student that couldn't have been caught more red-handed leaving his home in one school district to get an education and compete athletically in another.

Being a Cathedral fan/graduate, I have to cry foul. After enduring years and years of persecution on this and the Indiana Football Gridiron Digest about recruiting accusations, unfair admittance, and everything else that the private/parochial/catholics do to get an advantage, I can not let this die. Cathedral/Evansville Mater Dei/etc. endures pot shot after pot shot.

Because a State Finalist 135 pounder has a significant added value to the the defending champs,

Because the IHSAA has mandated Cathedral implement an Admissions Transfer Officer to comply with every potential student applying to Cathedral and do a "CIA audit" of their background,

Because the IHSAA doesn't hold the the public schools to the same regard in this area,

Because Mishawaka/Lawrence North/etc have been doing this for years with little regulation,

Because if the Department of Education can so easily squash an IHSAA ineligibility mandate,

Why does the IHSAA regulate anything in regards to student enrollment?

The hypocrisy is tragic. We will get our run with the Caveman and it is going to be a very close battle. If you think I am crying sour grapes because we are disadvantaged from this, you are wrong. I just can't stand the double standard that the IHSAA allows in instances like the Reinoehl reinstatement.

Y2 and the other 800lb gorillas, give this topic a run, please.

This is a no win discussion, sort of like the Catholic school discussion. Which makes wonder why you even brought it up.

Anyways, Cathedral has a GREAT team and it should be a great match.  Let's give this match the respect it deserves.

X2  ;D

I'd like to know what "loophole" you are referring to? Procedure that the IHSAA has in place for these kind of cases was followed.  Results may not be what you or anyone else like BUT his eligibility was reinstated.  Case closed.  Let's move on and let the kids and the teams they wrestle for get the attenetion they deserve.  This is old news.  The team state tourney will be exciting enough, can't wait!!!

TnTdad,

Old News? Perhaps. Until the situation is done affecting competitive outcomes, it is very relevant.

Loophole = When the State of Indiana's governing body for athletics rules a student athlete ineligible. School then takes the case to the Staties that have little exposure to eligibility cases other than what they are lobbied. 

And, let me just say, I am fairly impressed with the craftiness of the Mishawaka athletic department/legal team.

MD85,

Thanks for understanding the point. Never again should we hear the nonsense. 

Trent is not a returning state qualifier. MHS' crafty AD Dept and 'legal' team consist of Ben and Cindy Reinoehl.  Neither have a legal background, but in this economy I'm sure they would be willing to litigate for you with a nice retainer!

I know Trent wasn't a qualifier last year, but I don't think anyone doubts his attendance at Conseco this year. 

I am sure there were no conversations between the Reinoehl's and Mishawaka during this process? Considering they had another kid on the team, I am sure they never mentioned an approach to regain eligibility with Snyder, the athletic department, or any legal counsel.

Like I said, I am very, very impressed. But, I don't think any of us are dumb enough to think they circumvented the IHSAA, found a way to make a pitch to the Department of Education, and individually influenced the Education's Commission as solely the Ben and Cindy show. Nothing with this much bureaucracy can be tackled so easily despite what our friends from the North might contend.

All this said, you are missing the point of my post.

Mr. WrestlingGuy,

At the hearing were three people representing the Reinoehl family, Trent, his father and his grandfather.  They went up against Blake Ress and the IHSAA lawyer, it definitely did not look good in their favor to start out.  They had to go up and present their case to a panel of eight and had to get a vote from five of the eight to win their case.  It was no small task to do what they did.  The family did what they could and did nothing illegal in pursuing this to the highest degree.  I don't fault any parents for fighting for their children and hope that every parent would do the same for their kids.  

Just like in criminal law our justice system allows appeals to the decisions of the jury, the IHSAA allows appeals to their rulings also.  Its how our judicial system is supposed to work.