4th place out of regional

anchorwrestler

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While I don't see many 4th place people haveing an effect in semi-state it would make a wonderful story if a few end up advancing all the way to state.  The 4th place guys wins by saying he's a semi-state qualifier and a chance to upset the field there.  The 1st place regional person wins out because they get a quality match before stepping up for a tough the ticket round.  As with most I'd love to see wrestle backs established, but this at least  could help in some aspects of the sport.

Its ridiculous, this is watering down semi-state and what it means to be a semi-state qualifier.  Some kids work their butts off to be just a semi-state qualifier, now we are adding 56 more and it will mean less to be a semi-state qualifier.

:)

You think if anything it would bring up the point that their isn't as much to regionals.  Two sectionals meet in a regional and all you have to do is win one match to make it to semi-state.  Would that mean the people saying semi-state is way to watered down now should really be saying the current regional set up is actually to easy to advance past?

Consider this...

It DOES get 56 more kids on the mat at least one more time.

Personally I have never been a fan of giving the Regional Champ a free pass into the next round right off the bat.  Sure there is the whole argument of "To the victor comes the spoils" and all that, but let's face it, wrestling is meant to HAPPEN,  not to be pushed through based on passed accomplishments.  If you are the #1 from one regional, you should be expected to given some showing of your abilities just like those looking to defeat you.  It's the core principle of our sport - COMPETITION.

I am ust waiting for the day SOMEONE decides the sectionals should be a Round Robin Team event.  Then the bickering will REALLY start.  Of course it is totally impractical to have it this way, but we currently start our Team Tourney out in an individual format...so the difference is a bit blurry really.

Let the #4's wrestle...Maybe they just might fool ya!

I would bet on the 4th place wrestler at 112 in the Jay County Regional to go to state, whomever that may be.

That being said, I hate it and it DOES water down the the accomplishment of being a Semi-state qualifier. 

The 3rd-4th place matches at Regionals used to be some of the best matches you'd ever see.  Now they won't mean as much.

How many times have you seen a really good wrestler come down with sickness week of regionals. Or tweeks an ankle in sectionals. Maybe that kid deserves to be at semi-state just as bad but an unfortunate situation arised. It will not hurt SS. Look at your own regional. And when you see that one weight class where you say " Man that weight is stacked any of those kids could make it to state." You now have a chance to find out. How about this, ask the WRESTLERS who are wrestling what they think. Id venture to say they like having a chance to fight back for the dream of state. Its for the wrestlers, not to entertain the fans.

Its funny how adding 224 more semi-state qualifiers is being praised by everyone, yet if you advocate adding 224 more state qualifiers people think its a travesty and ruining everything.

I don't want to make this a class discussion since we've already been down that road. But I do like the idea of the State Finals having 32-man weight classes. The issue is, how would you go about getting in all that extra wrestling at Conseco? With only 4 mats, 2 days, and what would be double the number of matches. That sounds like it could be problematic, even if there was a 2-class system.

I don't see many 4th placer's making a big impact at semi state, but the few that do qualify for the STATE will have earned it.  I like the fact the reg. champions don't get a pass in the first round, and it is better in the finals that the wrestlers have wrestled the same amount of matches.

Even if a #4 never wins it gives that #1 guy a chance to wrestle and get the butterflies out of the way. By missing the first round some of the kids do not wrestle the first time until 1:00 or so in the afternoon. 4-5 hours of sitting around after weigh ins isn't a good thing.

Its funny how adding 224 more semi-state qualifiers is being praised by everyone, yet if you advocate adding 224 more state qualifiers people think its a travesty and ruining everything.

It wouldn't be bad to have a 32 man bracket at state. That's the way a lot of states do it.

It wouldn't be bad to have a 32 man bracket at state. That's the way a lot of states do it.

What states do that other than California?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.