Question on Forfieting Weight at sectionals

ENoblewrestling

If you forfiet a weight class at sectionals, and win the sectional as a team can you later have someone wrestle in that weight for the team regional.  For example if your 215 has a skin rash and cannot compete in the individual tournament, but is cleared to wrestle before the team regional that Wed. is he aloud to wrestle or is it a forfiet for the entire tournament.  I may be crazy but I thought that I had heard a rule like this before? 

This is what I found on the IHSAA web site, it does not specifically discuss your situation. I would say that it comes close with section G. if that section applies, then they would be required to FF that weigh the rest of the team tourney.

VI ELIGIBILITY OF PARTICIPANTS

A. To enter in his/her weight class he/she must have achieved a minimum of 6

qualified weigh-ins throughout the regular season as prescribed in the 2008-09

Weigh-In Regulations that can be found at www.ihsaa.org or www.ihsaa.net.

NOTE: A weigh-in at a multiple dual or tournament shall be counted as 1 weighin

of the required six even if the tournament contains more than 1 day of

wrestling.

B. The above requirements shall not be reduced without expressed written consent

of the IHSAA. NOTE: Additional team members in each weight class may be

weighed in at meets for the purpose of meeting minimum weight classification

requirements for the state tournament series.

C. In order to wrestle at any level of the team tournament, each participant?s name

must be entered on the Official Entry List that was filed with the Commissioner

NO LATER THAN 4:00 P.M. on Tuesday, January 20, 2009.

D. Each team may weigh in a maximum of 24 wrestlers at each level of the team

tournament.

E. Participants in the team tournament will receive an additional one pound allowance

at the team regional and the team semi state events only. This additional

allowance is not valid for any portion of the individual tournament.

F. Wrestlers must be ready to report to the scorers table immediately when called

by the referee. The wrestler to be sent to the scorers table first, who then cannot

be withdrawn or replaced, will be determined by the pre-meet coin toss.

G. If a school submits an entry for a weight class prior to the start of a match and

subsequently forfeits that weight class, that weight class shall be forfeited throughout

the rest of the team tournament series.

Note: A wrestler does not have to wrestle in the sectional in order to be eligible to

compete at other levels of the tournament. Likewise, a participant is not required

to wrestle at the same weight class for each match of the team tournament

series.

Didn't this happen the LN last year at the 160 class but it wasn't a situation liked you described with a skin related problem? I would think that would fall in the same category as an injury or treated as if the kid wasn't submitted into the lineup, I would say let 'em wrestle but I don't that call. I do like your question and hope we get an answer to it.

Last year Lawrence North tried bumping up a wrestler to 160lbs I believe.  The issue was that the wrestler wasn't eligible for the 160lbs weight class, because he weighed 145.0 or less.  Therefore LN was forced to forfeit the weight in that meet and in subsequent matches since they originally had a wrestler there.

Didn't this happen the LN last year at the 160 class but it wasn't a situation liked you described with a skin related problem? I would think that would fall in the same category as an injury or treated as if the kid wasn't submitted into the lineup, I would say let 'em wrestle but I don't that call. I do like your question and hope we get an answer to it.

I was thinking about that as well, but I dont know for sure when they had to FF the match, if it was at sectionals, or if it happend at team regionals for them. This is just one of the problems created by having and individule tourney set up the team tourney.

This situation happened to Carmel last year.  Injury and mis-entered wrestler at sectionals had them forfeiting 145 at sectionals.  I don't remember if they had to forfeit the weight at team regionals.  I couldn't find the detailed results from North Montgomery Team Regional.

Does anyone remember?  Or can anyone find those results?  That should give an idea of the interpretation that was used.

SOUTHMONT 30, CARMEL 28

103: J.B. Cremer © d. Bryce Allgood (S) decision 8-3

112: Evan Ackerman © d. Steven Simpson (S) decision 6-4

119: Nathaniel Borden (S) d. Christian Morris © decision 4-1

125: Nick Settineri © d. Jeremiah Anderson (S) decision 4-0

130: Will Mascaro © d. Travis Haslam (S) Fall, 3:28

135: Nathan Whitlow (S) d. Dan Frascella © Fall, 2:50

140: Chris VanCleave (S) d. Chris Mascaro © decision 9-2

145: Ryan Chism (S) d. Nathan Ziems © Fall, :36

152: Brandon Krieger © d. Jake Moore (S) decision 7-5 OT

160: Aaron Cravens (S) d. Nolan Pachciarz © decision 7-3

171: Derrek Day (S) d. Andrew Molin © decision 6-2

189: Nick Hodges (S) d. Josh Yoder © Fall, 3:57

215: Eric Courter © d. Tyler Bridge (S) Maj. dec. 10-1

285: Jessie Hollander © d. Wade Dove (S) injury, default.

G. If a school submits an entry for a weight class prior to the start of a match and

subsequently forfeits that weight class, that weight class shall be forfeited throughout

the rest of the team tournament series.

Note: A wrestler does not have to wrestle in the sectional in order to be eligible to

compete at other levels of the tournament. Likewise, a participant is not required

to wrestle at the same weight class for each match of the team tournament

series.

This rule takes effect at the team regional moving forward.  As stated in the "Note", "A wrestler does not have to wrestle in the sectional in order to be eligible to compete at other levels of the tournament".  An entry is not considered to be officially submitted until the wrestler reports as described in section F. Wrestlers must be ready to report to the scorers table immediately when called by the referee. The wrestler to be sent to the scorers table first, who then cannot be withdrawn or replaced, will be determined by the pre-meet coin toss.

If I understand the situation with LN correctly, they entered an inelegible wrestler for a weight class which led to a subsequent forfiet (they were not permitted to replace the wrestler after he reported) and therefor, per section G, they were required to forfiet that weight throughout the remainder of the team tournament series.  Again, this is assuming that I understand the LN situation correctly.

So to answer the original question, "If you forfiet a weight class at sectionals, and win the sectional as a team can you later have someone wrestle in that weight for the team regional?"  The answer is, yes, see Note in Section G.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.