Sectionals?

Central321

LittleJohn or another information coach or ref

If you have time could you spell out how the 1.5% weight loss plan work for a wrestler.  According to C-Pink I have misinterpreted how the rule works and if so I would like to get that corrected.  

My belief is you can not even wrestle in the next weight class lower (112-103) for a meet until you have sucessfully lost the 1.5% per week in order to drop to that weight class (103).  If you ended up under the next lower weight class (103) but dropped way more than the 1.5% to do it you could still wrestle your regular weight (112) but just not the lower weight (103) yet.   That is to ensure the weight loss plan is folowed correctly from week to week.    I also am under the belief that the same 1.5% weight managment plan is still in effect during the state tournament series even with any weight allowances that could occur. 

C-Pink contention is that you can drop much more that that 1.5% in a week  say 10 pounds (112-103) and still wrestle in a meet at that lower weight class (103) for the meet without a problem.  However, it would not count towards your 6 quality weight ins since you did not make the weight class (103) per the 1.5% yet.   C-Pink claims losing much more than the 1.5% allowed and still getting to wrestle the lower weight class without any issue occurs often so my interpretation of the rule must be incorreect.  C-Pink also claims that this weight managment plan is no existant no matter what weight allowances occur once you get to the state tournament series since the qualification has already been met and your weight class is established.

Could you shed some light on this issue.  And if I am incorrect what would the point be in a weight managment plan if it still can promote careless and dangerous weight loss through the season.

The weight-control program is not something that officials concern theirselves with.  This is an administrative issue.  I am not qualified to offer an accurate interpretation of the plan. All I can say is that the term "Average" is included in the rule. I've heard varying arguments as to time-frame for which the weight-loss is being averaged. I, for one, am glad this is not a rule we, as officials, have to administer! :-X

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed that this should be something the ref shouldn't have to worry about, since you have enough to do.  But the coaches should make sure its done correctly since it would effect their wrestlers if not followed.

My idea of average would be that within the week you may drop a little more or a little less than the 1.5% from day to day, but by the end of the week it equals out to 1.5%.  If 1.5% or less ends up allowing you to drop a weight class then you are fine.  If not then you have to wait another week or two until it does.  Average if a decently cut and dry word.  If it said "about 1.5%" or "around 1.5%" instead of "an average of 1.5%" I could see where some people would try to wiggle around the rule as much as they could.

The "average of 1.5%" when it pertains to a meet a few days after your last one other than a full week is a little more open to interpretation on how to follow the rule though.  Since it is not spelled out prefectly for this senerio I know coaches have different approaches.  Some say you still can get the 1.5% for that entire week if the meet occurs in the middle of the week or not 1.5% weight loss is OK any time.  Ohers have commented you should follow the idea that a wrestler gets 0.21% a day for the week (1.5 divided by 7 days) so you can only drop what that equals out to from your last meet to the mid-week meet.

Just to throw in a curveball to make sure everyone doesn't get caught off guard by a rule issue.  Team regional hopefuls would have to be aware they still would technically have to follow the weight lose plan.  With that being noted the lightest weights may not techically be able to take advantage of the full extra 2 pounds (if that sectional give it to them) since they will have to make weight with only one extra pound that Wednesday and then back to normal weight the following Saturday.  I'm not sure how exactly this would effect someone, but its worth making a point of with your coach so no one gets called out for it.

There is no curveball to be thrown.  The weight loss plan is just a week by week basis.  It does not change or alternate after each weigh-in.  If people want to be really anal about this situation, then all coaches are guilty of not following the rule.  I guarantee almost every team has a guy coming in on Monday about 5 pounds overweight, thus meaning that they would be losing more than that 1.5% in that week to make weight.  All the wrestler has to do is stay above the minimum weight that is listed on the wrestler's weight loss plan.  It states absolutely nothing about competition to competition.  Follow what the paper says about the individual and what the individual can weigh and there is no problem.

Have any Sectionals been predicted to be cancelled?  I thought I saw in an earlier post that if even 1 school in the Sectional can't attend, then the Sectional would have to be postponed.  Who makes the decision if a team can travel/make it or not?  Also, if a Sectional would get cancelled, would the other Sectional(s) that feed into the same Regional be cancelled & made up at the same time? 

If a Sectional were cancelled & another Sectional that fed into the same Regional was held, then wouldn't it be an unfair advantage to the cancelled Sectional teams because they would know the "seeds" for the Regional before they even wrestled the Sectional?  ???

Have any Sectionals been predicted to be cancelled?  I thought I saw in an earlier post that if even 1 school in the Sectional can't attend, then the Sectional would have to be postponed.  Who makes the decision if a team can travel/make it or not?  Also, if a Sectional would get cancelled, would the other Sectional(s) that feed into the same Regional be cancelled & made up at the same time? 

If a Sectional were cancelled & another Sectional that fed into the same Regional was held, then wouldn't it be an unfair advantage to the cancelled Sectional teams because they would know the "seeds" for the Regional before they even wrestled the Sectional?  ???

A few years ago Mitchell was unable to attend the Southridge sectional due to a very light dusting of snow on the road. There was snow falling for maybe 15-30 minutes.The bus driver thought it would get worse and turned around. The snow melted in a few hours instead. The tournament director offered to wait and start a few hours late if they could make it then. Mitchell could not come latter and the IHSAA said to go ahead and have the sectional without Mitchell. That year the Mitchell coach and wrestlers wanted to come to the sectional and the bus driver made the call to end those kids season.

Chambers,

Wow, US Rednecks on the Westside would've have taken over the bus and made it to the sectional on time :o

What was sad about the whole thing was a bus from another school passed them on the way to the sectional and there coach on that bus said he wondered where they were going because they were going back towards Mitchell. He said the weather was the same in the Mitchell area as the weather at Southridge.

When could the sectional be made up? Because the next weekend is regionals.

I saw nothing on the ihsaa web site indicating they have an alternate plan. I doubt that they would not have one, but they have not made it available to the public.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.