Sectionals?

Central321

you guys need to watch the movie the intrepreter cuz yall got no skill

here is an example (might need to  take some notes)

103 lb weight class, after jan 2 becomes 105 lb weight class

if any single school cannot practice on neither thursday nor friday the week of sectionals,

then the wrestlers of that sectional are granted an ADDITIONAL 2 lbs for weigh ins

we can thus infer that the 105 lb weight class under special circumstances will be 107 lbs on the day of sectionals and that day only

if only a friday is missed then only 1 ADDITIONAL lb is allowed making it 106 lbs

now time for my questions.

weight loss plans are to get legal weigh ins to be elligible for sectionals, if one already has their 6 legal weigh ins by sectionals then it does not matter what his weight loss is there after, correct?

now think about it, a wrestler can drop a weight class and have a few unqualifying weigh ins but he is not penalized for them, just not rewarded.all that matters is if he gets his 6 in by sectionals, and lets say he does, those 6 carry him all the way to the state finals, he cannot be penalized for not having a legal weigh-in in the state series just as he is not penalized for the "illegal" weigh ins in the regular season.he has his 6, he can wrestle

question number two (which is more like a wish)

how cool would it be if we got 2 lbs if one school didnt practice on thursday but did on friday and another school practiced on friday but not on thursday (both schools are in the same sectional of course)

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Question 1

From my understanding of the rule and how others have discussed it over the last two years.  You still have to follow the weight requirement when dropping the the weight class if its during the season or during the tournament.  For instance if you started at 112 and dropped too much weight to end up 101 you are under the 103 weight class but you could not wrestle in the 103 weight class that time.  This is because you did not make the 102 weight class according to your weight managment plan yet.  However, you did meet the ones of 112 and still could wrestle that weight class.  From my understanding it works the same way in the tournament series.  You are only able to drop 1.5% per week.  So if you are to much over 105 (like 107 with the extra 2 pounds added) in your previous weigh in and then drop to 105 you would not have followed the 1.5%. This has very little effect on anyone during this time aside from the very light weights that get an extra allowance for the team tournament because percentage wise they can not drop the entire weight according to the rules set in place if they take advantage of the entire weight allowance.

Question 2

The rules is made for at least one school being out two consecutive days (if I read it right) in order to get 2 pounds for sectionals.  If only one school is out Thursday and only one different school is out Friday that would equal just the one pound allowance.

Not sure that ends up happening to much, but I would say the FF since thats connected with an actual school.  Though no advancement points should be earned by the school since you do not earn advancements points against a Bye.

the forfeit moves on mudd

MattM--> if that is so then why are wrestlers allowed to compete in the regular season if they have too low of a weigh in for that week in their weight loss program

Your not breaking a rule and disqualified for cutting more than allowed.  Unless I am thinking about the rule incorrectly you can compete but just not in that weight class you dropped to until you have meet the weight lose plan requirments to be in that weight class.  However, since you have meet the requirement for the next weight class you should still be able to compete at that weight.

A 112 dropping to 103 could not wrestle 103 until the 112 guy dropped the 1.5% per week according to his plan to make it to 103 per the rules.  Until that point he can still wrestle but must remain in the 112 weight class.  He may weigh below 103 for that meet but since he did not follow the weight loss program correctly he would not be eligable to compete at 103 yet.  Once the 2 pound growth allowance is given if the former 112 wrestler who follows the weight loss plan can wrestle 105 at a meet.  However, he must still follow the wieght loss plan and make 103 scratch weight at some point after that to wrestle 103 in sectionals.  He would need to make 6 weigh ins at any weight before sectionals to qualify to wrestle in sectinonals.  These weigh ins can be at any weight so 112 or 103 is fine.  But to wrestle 103 in sectionals he must have at least one weigh in at scratch weight 103 before the start of sectionals reguarless of if its before or after the 2 pound growth allowance.

First off why would we have school Saturday and secondly 2 pounds is the max allowance

no

rules state that is school isnt in session day before a meet, an extra pound will be added

and yes it happened at the NIC meet

we didnt have school friday, and we got that other pound

so got a 3 lb allowance

Some of the weight allowance issue is coming from a wording problem.    When thinking about the rule and how much weight you will get for sectionals make sure you know the difference between the 2 pound growth allowance everyone recieved in January and the extra 1 or 2 pounds some sectionals may recieve because of weather issues that prevented school or practice from occuring.  Everyone will get and continue to get the 2 pound growth allowance but only certain sectionals may allow for an extra 1 or 2 pounds on top of that due to those weather issues.

the forfeit moves on mudd

MattM--> if that is so then why are wrestlers allowed to compete in the regular season if they have too low of a weigh in for that week in their weight loss program

Your not breaking a rule and disqualified for cutting more than allowed.  Unless I am thinking about the rule incorrectly you can compete but just not in that weight class you dropped to until you have meet the weight lose plan requirments to be in that weight class.  However, since you have meet the requirement for the next weight class you should still be able to compete at that weight.

A 112 dropping to 103 could not wrestle 103 until the 112 guy dropped the 1.5% per week according to his plan to make it to 103 per the rules.  Until that point he can still wrestle but must remain in the 112 weight class.  He would need to make 6 weigh ins at any weight before sectionals to qualify to wrestle in sectinonals.  These weigh ins can be at any weight so 112 or 103 is fine.  But to wrestle 103 in sectionals he must have at least one weigh in at scratch weight 103 before the start of sectionals reguarless of if its before or after the 2 pound growth allowance.

sorry but you are miserably WRONG

if a 112 wrestler drops to 103 in just a weeks period and weighs in at 103 for that day of wrestling then he is allowed to wrestle 103 even if his weigh in is illegal, it happens ALL THE TIME

and also, lets say there is a 2 day tournament, friday and saturday, so on saturday the 103 wrestlers weighs in at 104, now lets say on wednesday of the following week there is a dual meet, the wrestler makes weight at 103 and just because it wasnt within the 1.5% does not mean that they have to forfeit that weight class,the wrestler still gets to wrestle but just doesnt count as a legal weighn

thats a stunmper on the double forfeit

Not sure that ends up happening to much, but I would say the FF since thats connected with an actual school.  Though no advancement points should be earned by the school since you do not earn advancements points against a Bye.

you need to read your rule book better man, its embarrassing

if team A gets a bye, then he gets to advancement points and the outcome of his next match will determine that, if he wins his next match then he gets 2 advancement poiints from that plus bonus points for how he won PLUS 2 additional points for the bye

who is this mudd kid you guys are talking about i have never heard of him  ???

first off you have heard of mudd, just look at your jeff sectional picks, you have him winning third at 215

so you obviously know who he is...looks like you let your secret identity slip

It doesn't matter which school's forfeit advances on a double forfeit.  Forfeits cannot score points.  This may need to be adjusted if the tournament is using a computer program for team points.  At our conference tournament, this happened and the results page showed a -4 team points deduction for one school.  These weren't penalties; they were an adjustment for the double forfeit.

The questions was about a FF and a Bye.  Not wrestler A and a Bye.  C-Pink Please don't attack me on the rules if you are going to change the senerio presented from when I made my statement.  I said that the FF moves on but does not directly recieve advancement points by moving on.   Since the FF would then not win his next match he would not move on getting any more advancement points, bonus points, or anything else.   FF can not recieve any team points, and that is following the rule book.   Besides you do not automatically recieve advancement point for a wrestlers getting a bye until the next match is concluded.  So based on your changed senerio I am still correct in saying you would move passed the bye and no advancements points would be rewarded.  If you gain them later by winning your next match that is later not right when you recieve the bye because it is unclear what would happen in the next match at that point.

As for the weight loss issue I guess you should check with someone else on that one since you believe I am apparently incorrect on the iterpretation of it.  All I know is their have been a few cases in the past year where people have been called out on the rule and school penalized as a result of not following it correctly.  While their have been very few of these issue it has happened before.  I just go by the information on the issue that has been presented over the last several years by different coaches.  While their is much confusion on the issue I know by at least following my guidelines we are within the letter of the rule for why the weight plan was established in the first place.  That is to ensure healthy weight loss for the wrestlers.  Because of that our method would have not problem correctly complying with the managment plan.   If as you said this dramatic weight cutting "happens all the time" where a wrestler does lose more that 1.5% and wrestle a lower wieght class that doesn't necessarily mean everything is correct.  Their is a chance they could have followed the rule incorrectly, but since its the coaches job to check it and no one elses it got overlooked.  It is up to each coach to correctly follow the rules set in place, and they are in chage of following the weight managment plan.  So reguardless of the weight loss issue and who is right and wrong on our parts for the wrestlers sake I hope the coaches are following the rule correctly.  Maybe I am wrong on the exact interpretation of how the 1.5% works but at least by using my interpretation of the rules I know we have still legally followed the weight loss plan with each of our wrestlers anyway.

So if only one school in the sectional cant get to school and hold a practice the entire sectional gets the extra 1 lb. weight adjustment, since it would not be fair to give it to one team and not the rest?

So if only one school in the sectional cant get to school and hold a practice the entire sectional gets the extra 1 lb. weight adjustment, since it would not be fair to give it to one team and not the rest?

If one school is given the weight allowance all the school in that sectional would receive the same allowance. 

I found my own answer in another thread. Nevermind.

littlevito

Semi-State Qualifier

Cool Points: 2

[wahoo] [boo]

I just said that...

Re: Practice this week

? Reply #12 on: Today at 09:42:37 AM ? Quote 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote from: STARSMAN on Today at 12:40:08 AM

We arent going to be able to get on the mats until thursday atleast...and the AD isnt budging. Well i have a question, i know that they redid the weather cancellation and weight allowance section in the rules, so is there anything that says how much weight is given for the week of cancellations or the day before. Is there any weight that is going to be given?

There is only a 1 lb. allowance if one team is unable to practice the DAY BEFORE a competition.  And the Coach or AD must notify the host school's AD or Coach to let them know that they were unable to practice and that the 1 lb. allowance is in effect.  It does not matter if the whole week is cancelled, just the day before the competition.  So therefore this week the only practice that matters to the rule is Friday's practice.

Report to moderator    Logged 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Brandon Razo

IndianaMat.com Moderator

Bluffton High School Head Coach

Super Fun Guy to Hang Out With

Quick like a Mongoose

Stellar Broom Usage

LittleJohn or another information coach or ref

If you have time could you spell out how the 1.5% weight loss plan work for a wrestler.  According to C-Pink I have misinterpreted how the rule works and if so I would like to get that corrected.  

My belief is you can not even wrestle in the next weight class lower (112-103) for a meet until you have sucessfully lost the 1.5% per week in order to drop to that weight class (103).  If you ended up under the next lower weight class (103) but dropped way more than the 1.5% to do it you could still wrestle your regular weight (112) but just not the lower weight (103) yet.   That is to ensure the weight loss plan is folowed correctly from week to week.    I also am under the belief that the same 1.5% weight managment plan is still in effect during the state tournament series even with any weight allowances that could occur. 

C-Pink contention is that you can drop much more that that 1.5% in a week  say 10 pounds (112-103) and still wrestle in a meet at that lower weight class (103) for the meet without a problem.  However, it would not count towards your 6 quality weight ins since you did not make the weight class (103) per the 1.5% yet.   C-Pink claims losing much more than the 1.5% allowed and still getting to wrestle the lower weight class without any issue occurs often so my interpretation of the rule must be incorreect.  C-Pink also claims that this weight managment plan is no existant no matter what weight allowances occur once you get to the state tournament series since the qualification has already been met and your weight class is established.  If I am wrong on your interpretation C-Pink please correct me so I can get your interpretation correct too.

Could  someone shed some light on this issue.  And if I am incorrect what would the point be in a weight managment plan if it still can promote careless and dangerous weight loss through the season.

MattM you are right...it is by the book illegal. does it happen like c-pink says? yes again because there is not the time nor the resources to check all of the weigh-ins in such a manner to check if a wrestler has lost too much weight. It normally only comes to light when a wrestler cuts a noticeable amount of weight or when people are waiting one someone to slip up and get fat...

MattM you are right...it is by the book illegal. does it happen like c-pink says? yes again because there is not the time nor the resources to check all of the weigh-ins in such a manner to check if a wrestler has lost too much weight. It normally only comes to light when a wrestler cuts a noticeable amount of weight or when people are waiting one someone to slip up and get fat...

Thank you.  I knew my interpretation did follow the rules set out, however C-Pink was very adamant that her interpretation was also correct.  I many not know every rule by heart, but I try to follow those type of rule issues as perfectly as possible since they can effect the wrestler.  

If you and thus I am correct I hope that the teams and coaches that C-Pink says "do this all the time" get correctly informed of the rules so that they do not jeopardize a wrestlers chance to compete.  The correct information, while a little confusing, does need to be spelled and taught very clearly so that can be implemented correctly.  I would hate for something as basic as a weight managment plan followed incorrectly to end up costing a wrestler a match or even a spot in the state tournament series. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.