Sectionals?

Central321

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not confident in a lot of schools being in, we have 13 inches and lots of wind here, plus the county doesn't have the money to salt the roads this year. I live by the highway and I've heard sirens all day. We have a 2 hour delay so far, but I'll bet it gets called if the wind keeps up. I can't imagine them canceling sectional unless there's a power loss though.

I'm in Delaware County right now. It made the Decatur papers when the county said they couldn't afford salt, so it would just be the major roads getting salted.

What's the new rule state on the weight allowance for missed days?

This was sent out today...

To:                   IHSAA Sectional Wrestling Officials

RE:                   Interpretation of Rule 4-5-5 in Regard to IHSAA Wrestling Sectionals

Good morning.  With the challenging weather we are experiencing currently, many schools have contacted our office with regard to Rule 4-5-5 of the NFHS wrestling rules book.  This rule speaks to the granting of a one-pound additional allowance for consecutive days of wrestling.  Additionally, the rule was amended this year to include a provision regarding competitions and/or practices which are cancelled by local schools due to reasons beyond the control of the participating schools.  I have reprinted Rule 4-5-5 of the wrestling rules book for your reference below:

Art. 5 ? When there are consecutive days of team competition, there shall be a 1-pound additional allowance granted each day for all wrestlers up to a maximum of two pounds.  In order to be granted this 1-pound additional allowance, a minimum of 48 hours advanced notice is required for the opponent(s).  The acceptable person(s) to receive that notice shall be the head coach, principal or athletic director.  Competitions that are postponed for one calendar day or more, for reasons beyond the control of the participating school(s), or practices that cannot be held in these situations due to school policy shall be treated the same as competitions when there are consecutive days of competition in terms of the 1-pound allowance, with the exception of the required 48-hour notice.

The IHSAA wrestling sectional is primarily an individual tournament yet this tournament determines a team champion that will advance into the team wrestling regional the following Wednesday.  Having said that, the IHSAA interpretation of Rule 4-5-5 shall be administered as follows:

1. If any school in your sectional is not in session on Friday or any school cannot conduct practice by school corporation mandate on Friday, all wrestlers shall be granted a 1-pound additional allowance on Saturday as allowed by rule.

2. If any single school in your sectional misses BOTH Thursday and Friday under the same circumstances as described above, all wrestlers shall be granted 2 additional pounds on Saturday as allowed by rule.

3. The maximum additional allowance provided under Rule 4-5-5 is two pounds given the proper circumstances as described above.

Bobby Cox

Assistant Commissioner

Indiana High School Athletic Association, Inc.

I'm in Delaware County right now. It made the Decatur papers when the county said they couldn't afford salt, so it would just be the major roads getting salted.

What's the new rule state on the weight allowance for missed days?

Can't all the residents in the county get together and salt the roads with their saltshakers?

ff

so if they go to school friday they dont get the extra pound. Am I reading that right?

The IHSAA interpretation of Rule 4-5-5 shall be administered as follows:

1. If any school in your sectional is not in session on Friday or any school cannot conduct practice by school corporation mandate on Friday, all wrestlers shall be granted a 1-pound additional allowance on Saturday as allowed by rule.

2. If any single school in your sectional misses BOTH Thursday and Friday under the same circumstances as described above, all wrestlers shall be granted 2 additional pounds on Saturday as allowed by rule.

3. The maximum additional allowance provided under Rule 4-5-5 is two pounds given the proper circumstances as described above.

It just takes one school in your sectional to fall into this criteria for all schools in that sectional

to receive the allowance (1 or 2 lbs. accordingly).

Just to throw in a curveball to make sure everyone doesn't get caught off guard by a rule issue.  Team regional hopefuls would have to be aware they still would technically have to follow the weight lose plan.  With that being noted the lightest weights may not techically be able to take advantage of the full extra 2 pounds (if that sectional give it to them) since they will have to make weight with only one extra pound that Wednesday and then back to normal weight the following Saturday.  I'm not sure how exactly this would effect someone, but its worth making a point of with your coach so no one gets called out for it.

Guest renegade

so the rule that jlittlejohn posted confuses me

it says maximum two pound allowance

but it also says we get 1 extra pound if any school in our sectional does not practice

if this occurs would we get 3 pounds?

You either get 1 lb. for no school or practice on Friday or you get 2 lbs. for no school or practice on Thursday & Friday.

Guest renegade

ok .. i was misunderstood than .. you can get an allowance of 4 pounds (after jan 2)

thanks for clearing it up jlittlejohn

wahoo to you

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.