Semi State question...

gnome

What do people think about this new format?? i personally like it. I like the idea of the 1 seeds getting a match in before the ticket round. we always wreslted one anyway with a teammate if we didnt have a match in the first round...

really not a fan of this new set up, having a losing record at regionals and making it to semi-state just to face a number one seed, and espescially at merriville man that is gonna suck 56 more wrestlers, parents, and family memebers.....its going to be standing room only

really not a fan of this new set up, having a losing record at regionals and making it to semi-state just to face a number one seed, and espescially at merriville man that is gonna suck 56 more wrestlers, parents, and family memebers.....its going to be standing room only

The bigger crowd will suck, but the old format allowed you to have a losing record at semi-state and qualify for state.  How many good kids did not qualify for  semi-state in the old format because of being in a stacked weight class?  I am sure a 4 seed will upset a 1 seed somewhere this year.  I would prefer wrestle backs, but this is a step in the right direction I think.

yeah hopefully they will instate some wrestle backs in the coming years ....i would rather have a much longer day of good wrestle back wrestling than all those extra people but nothing we can do now except get to merriville by what like 630 in the a.m. to save some good seats 

It never made sense to me WHY, at the Semi State level, people did not have a first round match.

I am glad they plugged this in with the top 4.  More kids have a shot.

Look at it this way, If a kid is a Regional Champ, facing the #4 from another Region should be a doable task.  Granted there will be times one region is fully stocked at a weight class and their #4 would be a #1 in other regions, but this addresses those issues also...

It's really a win win.

I don't think the 1 vs 4 match will yield many change to the bracket, but at least it does give the #1 guy a decent match instead of starting out stale in the ticket round.  To me it seems a little odd that only two sectionals feed into a regional and then 4 of them move on to semi- state.    But then 4 regionals move into semi-state and 4 semi-states feed into state.  I can see one day someone making a move to consolidate the tournament series in some way to eliminate one step in the series all together.  If Y2 gets his class wrestling revolution completed (don't change thread subjects) I can see this consolidation easily occuring.    

It is great that they are adding 4 matches to each weight.  The only problem is they added them in the wrong place.  Adding wrestlebacks at least from the quarters on adds a total of 4 more matches.

Good call.

:D sucks to be you going to m-ville :'(

at least us merrillville ss people get to watch the toughest(superior) semi state :P

I won't go as far as saying we are superior (don't want us gettin swelled heads) but I think we have the toughest SS and many quality matches as well as the other three.  Fortunately for the other three they will enjoy comfort and not dealing with rude workers at their SS.  I'm just hopin that I'll be able to get in the gym doors, who knows maybe listen to the crowd.

I think its good to have 4 going.  I remember a few years ago 4 guys ranked top ten or very close were all in the same regional. DOnt remember all their names but lappe from MD Schmidt from castle and two others all were in teh same regional.  All were VERY good wrestlers and one didnt make it out of regionals and without a doubt I believe would have upset a 1 seed in semi state if it were the same format

but I think we [Merrillville] have the toughest SS. . .

Finding a seat, preferably without restricted viewing.  In that aspect, Merrillville has the other three semi-states trumped in spades!

Merrillville is going to be so incredibly overcrowded.  It was bad before, but I cannot imagine what it will be like this year.  Glad I am not going.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.