Wrestling movie info

bdolly

I was just wondering for everyone's opinions on their favorite and least favorite aspects of wrestling movies they have seen? Also, what would you like to see be put into a wrestling movie and what are the things you would not like to see in a wrestling movie. Anyone's input would be greatly appreciated as well as very helpful for the initial development of a new film.

Thanks

Vision Quest is always a classic, but aside from an underdog striving to beat the stud it didn't have a lot.  The rest of the story wasn't that great which is probably why it doesn't get much attention from the none wrestling world.  

Reversal took on some darker wrestling issues, which may or may not have been that great for highlight what the sport really was.  It did have some decent parts, but over all the rest of the story just doesn't do much for the none wrestling view.

One More Shot I never got around to watching, but the word I have got is that it was another underdeveloped wrestling movie. 

If people don't get the studio backing and quality writers on the movie I don't think any wrestling related movie will end up being as good as it could have been.  You don't have to have the biggest star names to get a wrestling movie to get the mainstream publics attention.  However, you will need to hav ea film crew, a director willing to understand wrestling, and a well written human drama story with wrestling being the avenue that story is delivered through.

I guess if someone wanted a little more mainstream viewer to also take interest they would have to find some quality writers that can tell a great human struggle story and package it around that human being connected with wrestling.   Just telling a wrestling story in general wont do much for the mainstream viewer .  On the same wavelenght just telling a human stuggle with just bits of wrestling isn't enough either since you could plug any sport into that an make it feel the same (ie most sports movie they try to make).  A person would have to find the perfect mix of the human drama story and weave the aspects of wrestling that make it unique to all other sports. 

This could also be done in a documentary style film instead if thats someone goal.  It just takes finding the right kid or program and knowing how to edit all the hours of footage into a great human stuggle story.

I thought of a decent wrestling film while in school, but then the movie The Rookie (Dennis Quad) took the basic idea of it.  A former stud wrestlers on track to be an Olympic hopeful gets hurt in college and ends his career.  He finishes out school and turns into a teacher and coach for a rough local high school with a struggleing program.  He is able to mentor his team that had no direction and focus.  They stay out of trouble and on the right track on their way to several notworthy wins.  He ends up getting back into wrestling shape  in his mid-30's after practicing with his state bound high school stud which no one else in the room can even hang with.  Somehow he gets talked back into competing in a regional competition and starts lightly training with some former teammates and friends.  He wins the competition which is a qualifier for the Olympic trials.  He then kicks up the training more as the school, town, and former college team gets behind him.  The the underdog climbs his way through the competition edging out wins over the competition.  He re-injurys himself on one match but guts out the match and wins.  With a laging injury he eventually faces either an old college rival whose already won an Olympic medal or some famous young stud who suppose to be the choosen one for the Olympics.  He may or may not win the match in the end.  If he lost he would leave the shoes in the middle of the match and get a huge ovation from the crowd who knows the entire story.   

Sounded like a good idea until The Rookie "stole my thunder.

Y2, We can always throw Nick in as the famous young stud he faces at the end of the movie.

Actually you stole the rookies thunder because that was a true story, I think that is a cool movie idea though, wahoo to you

Technically his thunder came after my movie ideas though it was a different sport.  I came up with that movie idea after watching Vision Quest in high school during the mid-1990's.  The guy Quad portrayed didn't accomplish his moment until the very end of the 1990's.   It's still an inspirational story and a great feel good movie none the less.  I still wouldn't mind seeing a movie like my idea made though since it would be a step up from most wrestling movies the mainstream public may have seen before.

How about  a life story of a kid that his parents are told by the doctors at Rilley Hospital that he'll never be able to do sports or anything like that!!

Oh, wait a minute, that is a true story bout Dylan "nut" Hall!!

But really, just a good story about a kid try'n to be the best he can be at a sport that he loves!!!

Acually..not the best wrestling movie BUT i just got done watching Mr. Woodcock and there was a sweeet wrestling scence towards the end!!

Didn't know Billy Bob was such an animal. ;D

LOL!!!!!!    Wahoo for that one!!

I all seriousness, I am having a hard time someone in Hollywood hasn't developed a story based on "The Kid" Dan Gables career!

The man brought USA Wrestling to International Attention...

I actually wrote a couple of reports on him and I think even non-wrestlling fans would eat it up.  Considering what happenened to his sister, having his only loss being in his final collegiate match, giving up zero points at the Olympics.  That's not even including the details of each event and others, plus his coaching career.  The perfect "human struggle" if you ask me.

I all seriousness, I am having a hard time someone in Hollywood hasn't developed a story based on "The Kid" Dan Gables career!

The man brought USA Wrestling to International Attention...

I actually wrote a couple of reports on him and I think even non-wrestlling fans would eat it up.  Considering what happenened to his sister, having his only loss being in his final collegiate match, giving up zero points at the Olympics.  That's not even including the details of each event and others, plus his coaching career.  The perfect "human struggle" if you ask me.

I agree!  The story of his going rom Cyclone to Hawkeye would be drama enough to get Hollywood interested! 

There was a movie in the early 80's about a guy that is forced to teach misfit kids to wrestle, even though he knows nothing about it. He starts reading books and starts turning the kids around, but I cannot remember the name of it.

I also heard they were looking at trying to do a Kyle Maynard movie, it would be very inspiring if done right

There was a movie in the early 80's about a guy that is forced to teach misfit kids to wrestle, even though he knows nothing about it. He starts reading books and starts turning the kids around, but I cannot remember the name of it.

I also heard they were looking at trying to do a Kyle Maynard movie, it would be very inspiring if done right

I believe the movie your thinking of was called "Takedown" with Lorenzo Lamas!! I have it on vhs but can't find it on dvd!!

A movie should be made about that kid with no arms and legs from Ohio.  If you haven't seen it, someone here probably knows the link.  I can't remember what his name is.

That would be great!!!

I'm up for any wrestling movie that is...

a) realistic (actors who actually know how to do wrestling moves...hell, why not hire a bunch of ACTUAL wrestlers)

B) inspiring

c) shows wrestling in a positive light

I understand that there are some negative connotations about wrestling, and some are very real dangers, however, the movies that have attempted to show the "darker side" have completely left out the positives.  With the right people at the helm, it is possible to make a serious wrestling movie that shows both sides.

When I think of the kind of "wrestling movie" I want my son to watch, I want a story about overcoming obstacles, facing fears, hard work, and leaving it all on the mat.  Wrestling builds character, perhaps more than any other sport, do to the uniquely "dual" nature of the sport.  It's the one sport where truly, the whole is only as good as the sum of its parts.  If someone could really show that, I think they'd have a box office hit.

A movie should be made about that kid with no arms and legs from Ohio.  If you haven't seen it, someone here probably knows the link.  I can't remember what his name is.

IF i am thinking of the same person as you his name is Kyle Maynard and is from Collins Hill HIgh School in Georgia. HE has been on a lot of talk shows and had abio done on him by HBO.

Takedown with Lorenzo Lamas as the highschool athlete and first year wrestler with an attitude.

My roommate in college had Vision Quest and we watched it all the time. Anyone know where you can find this now, I've never had any luck?

MY dad found copie at wal-mart like 2 years ago and everytime i go in there i see it so you might try there

What city? I've checked Rochester, Fort Wayne, West Lafayette, Wabash, Warsaw, Muncie, and Decatur (I travel around a lot).

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.