Preparing for High School at the youth level

Jacob

I have decided to put this poll on here to have a clear understanding of what you think as a whole. These are just some of the answers I have heard over the years. I personally feel that All kids want to win. I feel that it is important to them. I have been told by some that nothing matters until they get into high school. I think that it is most important to teach sound fundamentals of wrestling and good sportsmanship. I feel that by doing this we are teaching an invaluable life lesson.

I have seen some parents and coaches that it is the most important thing to win at any cost. They push young kids to the extreme. These particular kids are being pushed harder than many high school teams. I have also seen the other end of the spectrum as well.  They trained these young kids very successfully with out making them hate the sport. I am not saying the kids don`t train hard because they do. These coaches  allow the kids to understand that it is OK to lose if you learn from the loss and come back later wrestling better. The kids work very hard on drill and technique and they understand the importance of cardio.

My opinions are the same as some and differant than others. This does not make me right and them wrong or vice-versa.

These are simply opinions, that is all. If the poll questions don`t reflect your views, please elaborate.

Thanks

Elementary and Middle School coaches, what you need to remember is that it is a marathon not a sprint.  We have had young talented studs at the elementary level not pan out due to extreme pressure at a young age and we have had several kids in the last few years not wrestle until their freshman year and place at state and even a few went on to wrestle on some financial assistance in college.

Whats right often depends on the kid and what he/she feels.  More important than winning is teaching techniques that will win at the next level.  That could mean many things.  Some kids are funky wrestlers-then develop it.  Some are basic wrestlers-then reinforce it. 

We have a motto we try to live by and its simple-Do what you are coached to do and do it to the best of your ability and you never have to look at the scoreboard. 

This is a very emotional, grinding sport.  I hope to see all these little kids around when the dust clears.

This poll is scheduled to run for ten days. I will start a new one after it is done. PM me and let me know the ideas you have about the seperation. I think that would be interesting to see the differances that poll would produce. If you don`t want to wait on me, go ahead. I think it is a great Idea. I would like to see the coaches identify themselves along with their opinions.

I also believe that fundamentals and sportsmanship are the most important things that need to be taught at the youth level. Too many times you see a parent burn a kid out too soon by putting pressure and grinding a kid to win. In the grand scheme of things if you win how many state medals or titles in the youth division and quit that is only winning the battle and losing the war. The key is keeping them interested while teaching them the basics so that they dont need to pick them up at the next level when they get there.

This is a subject talked about all the time. And their is no easy answer as each wrestler is different. And that is how it should be handled. But I have noticed with hard work their is sucess in some form or another. It is how you measure it.

I have also noticed there is not an option tin the poll that has anything to do with school work. I have made many friends through wrestling and these same parents that do push their kids in wrestling also  pushed  their kids in school as well. 

This is a subject talked about all the time. And their is no easy answer as each wrestler is different. And that is how it should be handled. But I have noticed with hard work their is sucess in some form or another. It is how you measure it.

I have also noticed there is not an option tin the poll that has anything to do with school work. I have made many friends through wrestling and these same parents that do push their kids in wrestling also  pushed  their kids in school as well. 

I absolutely agree with you coach. School work should be first and foremost in participation in any sport. If you don`t pass, you don`t play. Our son is not a rocket scientist but did manage to make the A-B honor roll this period. Second time in six and a half years. Close on almost all of them. Usually would have one C.

Great point.

A classic example of getting prepared for high school and learning the fundementals first is the stories (legends and/or myths) that I have heard about Blake Maurer from Mater Dei.  I don't know how true they are but as the stories go, the young Blake did not have an impressive youth record.  He kept at it, went to every tournament possible, and ended up a 4 time state champ.  I would love to have a more accurate description of this, so any MD fans can add truth to the myth.

Remember, this has to be fun for the kids, or they will not stick with it long. Winning is important, and they need to have some level of success, but parents need to make sure they measure that success in progress, not just wins and losses. Not every kid is going to be a stud, and sometimes getting into the second period, or scoring offensive points is an improvment, and needs to be acknowledged as such. The other thing I would say to you parents, make sure that you have fun as well. You are going to meet some great people through your son or daughters wrestling. Some of the people I talk to more then anyone are from the wrestling community.

Another thing I would suggest, you are going to be spending alot of quality time with your kids on the way to and from wrestling events, make sure that wrestling is not the only thing that you talk about during these trips. Your child is on the path to being an adult, and they are facing several issues, that dont involve wrestling and you can discuss these on the road.

Most importantly is to relax, have fun, and rememeber it is just a sport, it keeps them off the streets, and allowes you to know where they are most of the time. You dont want to be the parent that all the refs and table help knows for the wrong resons. In the end, if you keep it fun for them, they will learn lessons that they take with them their entire life.

I recommend getting in the habit of establishing just a few goals for each tournament that your child wrestles.  And don't just spout off these goals yourself, ask your youth wrestler what their ideas are for some goals.  First and foremost should ALWAYS be (in my mind) to try hard/hustle.  Right up there with hustle is good sportsmanship.  If they do nothing else but try their hardest, I could never be disappointed with whatever the results may be.  If they win the entire tournament but wrestle sluggishly or show poor sportsmanship, I will be disappointed.  Get this through to them early on.

If your wrestler is a beginner, make the goals revolve around improving -- not necessarily winning their match.  Maybe the goal should be just to score some points, or get 3 takedowns, or (for the really nonagressive wrestlers) just for them to take the initiative and make the first attempt at a takedown.  Whether or not they get the takedown, who cares, it may be a huge jump for some kids just to get the feel of "going for it".  Over time, the goals you set along with your wrestler will become more and more ***NO NO NO***ious.

Base

You are 100% right on this one.  My son is just staring his second year in wrestling.

We always set goals before each tournament.  Some examples from last year were.

1)  Give 100% effort every match

2)  Not to be intimidated by more advanced wrestlers

3)  Make it threw and open tournament without getting pined

4)  Win or lose with class

5)  Win 50% of his matches for the season.

Some for me were

1)  Keep calm. ( it help having another dad beside me during matches to remind me)

2)  Not to over coach during matches 

A classic example of getting prepared for high school and learning the fundementals first is the stories (legends and/or myths) that I have heard about Blake Maurer from Mater Dei.  I don't know how true they are but as the stories go, the young Blake did not have an impressive youth record.  He kept at it, went to every tournament possible, and ended up a 4 time state champ.  I would love to have a more accurate description of this, so any MD fans can add truth to the myth.

In this case, the legend and/or myths, have the ring of truth.  Blake did not have a stellar record as a youth wrestler, but he is one of the most determined young men you will ever meet. 

I think that learning the fundamentals is THE MOST IMPORTANT thing for youth wrestlers to learn.  Winning is good...but becoming a technically sound wrestler is KEY.  I think about how many kids I see using the headlock at these tourneys and getting wins when a kid doesn't know how to counter.  The headlock will only work for so long...once you hit the high school level you better know a heck of a lot more.

As parents, the most important thing we can teach our kids are a) fundamentals, B) good sprotsmanship, c) self-confidence and d) unconditional love.  Those are the building blocks for future success...in everything...wrestling included!

Base

You are 100% right on this one.  My son is just staring his second year in wrestling.

5)   Win 50% of his matches for the season.

Some for me were

1)  Keep calm. ( it help having another dad beside me during matches to remind me)

Great post, the only thing I would add, is if you have trouble keeping calm, then do as you do, and keep someone close to remind you, or failing that, move to a section of the gym where you can see, but you also know that your shouts will not be heard and then it is easier to keep yourself under more control.

Well, except for the person sitting next to you that thinks your crazy with all the moving you are doing as he is on the mat, and you try to do the moves with him..... ;D

While I certainly agree with most of you, a few things to keep in mnd as well, we are there for the kids, not ourselves. As I tell them first and foremost they are student athletes and their grades are most important. I would rather see them bring in their books to practice and finish their school work. As a parent and or coach our actions and emotions affect our kids, they read into this and sometimes feed from it. We have all seen from time to time a parent or coach yelling or cursing at this little kid who just tried his heart out and came up short, he/she is already disappointed at the loss and now has this madman screaming at the top of his lungs at them. Keep it fun and positive, and take the time and patience to correct their mistakes.

Base

5)   Win 50% of his matches for the season.

Some for me were

Great post, the only thing I would add, is if you have trouble keeping calm, then do as you do, and keep someone close to remind you, or failing that, move to a section of the gym where you can see, but you also know that your shouts will not be heard and then it is easier to keep yourself under more control.

Well, except for the person sitting next to you that thinks your crazy with all the moving you are doing as he is on the mat, and you try to do the moves with him..... ;D

Mr. Odom, I will look for you in the farthest corner of Perry's gym this weekend. ;D  Good Luck Saturday.

After fourteen days we have had 56 people vote on this. I would like to thank everyone who took the time to respond. I think the results speek for themselves. Our parents for the most part are interested in making our kids better wrestlers and raising them to be good citizens. What I meen by this is, sportsmanship and preparing yourself for later in life is the most important thing. Just because you are not winning every match now, does not necessarily meen you will not win a lot of them later. Hard work does pay off.

Winning at any cost may work now, but will it help later in prison because the kids were taught to win by any meens necessary? I wonder if berny Madoff was taught that winning is the only thing that matters.

Thanks for voting.

I think it's most important to teach them the fundamentals, make them learn from each match, and give them the basics. If they enjoy the sport and learn something every time they step on the mat they will continue to learn and love the sport. Sportsmanship is crucial too, I always wonder when I see unsportsmanlike conduct in high school if that was a concern for the coaches in middle school and below.

Over the past 25 years or so I have refereed all levels of competitions from the youth level to the Olympic Games. I could write an entire book on what I have seen parents do and say  at youth level events.

Kids will often take the lead from their parents. In other words, they often take the same approach or attitude towards others as their parents display. If a parent displays good sportsmanship, so will the kids. If the parents take a win at all costs approach, so will the kids.

I often hear and read on this board complaints about tournament operations, officiating, problems with oraganizations, etc... My question is how many of those people who are making the complaints are willing to be a part of the solution? And, just to take it a step further, what are you teaching your child when you make all of these complaints and you aren't willing to do anything about it?

Rick Warren talks in his book, The Purpose Driven Life, about the many times he has been with people on their deathbed and not once has anyone asked "bring me my possessions, my trophies, my medals". They want their families surrounding them. Youth wrestling should and could be a positive experience for everyone. Do you think it will really matter to you or your child 20 or 30 years from now if they won the XYZ club tournament?

Tom Clark

Over the past 25 years or so I have refereed all levels of competitions from the youth level to the Olympic Games. I could write an entire book on what I have seen parents do and say  at youth level events.

Kids will often take the lead from their parents. In other words, they often take the same approach or attitude towards others as their parents display. If a parent displays good sportsmanship, so will the kids. If the parents take a win at all costs approach, so will the kids.

I often hear and read on this board complaints about tournament operations, officiating, problems with oraganizations, etc... My question is how many of those people who are making the complaints are willing to be a part of the solution? And, just to take it a step further, what are you teaching your child when you make all of these complaints and you aren't willing to do anything about it?

Rick Warren talks in his book, The Purpose Driven Life, about the many times he has been with people on their deathbed and not once has anyone asked "bring me my possessions, my trophies, my medals". They want their families surrounding them. Youth wrestling should and could be a positive experience for everyone. Do you think it will really matter to you or your child 20 or 30 years from now if they won the XYZ club tournament?

Tom Clark

I am not sure that I know you, but I do agree with you on these issues. I at times have been guilty os some of the issues you have posed, and other times I have not been. I think most people at some level have been.

My wife and I try to raise our son to be respectful to  all people. It does not matter how he feels about them.  We have told him that if you know a kid who is a trouble maker, chances are he does not have the direction at home that he needs. He may have a situation that people do not know about that is causing his behavior. Like you said, it could be as simple as mimicking what they see. Long story short. We teach ours to lead by example. Do not follow the crowd because it is the popular thing to do. The popular thing is not always the right thing.

I have posted in the past about both tournaments that have been ran in my opinion, poorly and those that have been ran very efficiently. While doing this, on a few occasions have stepped on a few toes. I would usually explain why my opinions reflected good or bad. We have many people that are new to youth wrestling each year. They do not know which tournaments would leave you waiting for hours for your first match.

I also have posted about officiating, again both good and bad. When the officiating is done by youngsters, I would not say anything, simply because they are volunteers and learning. My negative concerne with experienced officials would be when no two make the  call the same. There would be no consistancy with a call. I have asked a question respectfully to officials about a call and had them jump on my case becausae who am I to question them. I have praised officials when they call matches consistantly, wether we win or not. Why, because it is fair to the kids, not just mine.

My wife and I also did the study through church, " The Purpose Driven Life." We also did the Other study that was very popular in the church`s. I believe it was "The Purpose Driven Church." Both of these studies give great life lessons. These are life lessons that all could better themselves in all aspects of life.

I would like to thank you for your post. I certainly am not perfect and I reflected back on my past on this board and the previous board. My posts have not always been the popular ones. They have also been taken out of context at times. There have been some people, that I know that assumed that I was talking about them when I was speaking in generalities.

Thanks again

Tom Clark

I my experience, 30 minutes after you leave the gym is about all it takes to forget a tournament.  Anything more than that and you risk being too focused on winning and not on improving.  There have been tournaments that 5th place was a better indicator of improvement than 1st place.  The biggest challenge at the youth level is to get kids focused on improving vs. winning.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.