Lovejoy vs Nix

1oldwrestler

Lovejoy was dominating on his feet, but was frustrated from the mat against Nix.  Nix was out there to not get pinned, and was doing a good job at it.  Lovejoy lost his head and hit Nix with 3 close-fisted crossfaces.  On the 3rd one, the referee hit him with a flagrant misconduct.

Lovejoy was dominating on his feet, but was frustrated from the mat against Nix.  Nix was out there to not get pinned, and was doing a good job at it.  Lovejoy lost his head and hit Nix with 3 close-fisted crossfaces.  On the 3rd one, the referee hit him with a flagrant misconduct.

Isnt it every wrestlers job to not get pinned?

I thought that saving team points was a good thing? 

Did the ref warn him before he hit him with the flagrant call, or did it happen to quickly?

Is this going to have any ramifications for Tony and the sectional, or does the fact that it happened during the match mean that the punishment stays within the match and getting dq'd is the only result.

The shame of it is that the video clearly shows his hand was open on both cases at best his fingers were slightly curled but definately not close fisted.  And there were only two cross faces not three.  The other call (the second) was when Lovejoy was trying to pull his wrist free (as Karl states Nix was holding on with both hands from bottom.)  Nix was holding on and Lovejoy lowered his shoulder as he pulled his arm free and Nix hit is face on the mat.  The ref walked all the way around the wrestlers and looked at Nix then stopped the match for blood and hit Lovejoy with a penalty.  There was no cross face.  If you listen to the broadcast it is clear the announcers had no idea what the call was from the broadcast.  And Lovejoy was not told about it either.

I have talked to Lovejoy and he was definately not frustrated with Nix.  I do not know how anyone who actually saw him would think he was.  (The only point of frustration was when Nix laid flat on his belly and refused to wrestle and Lovejoy asked Bopp to make him wrestle and he hit Lovejoy with an unbelievable stalling warning.)  He was wrestling hard no more no less.  Just like he has been taught.  But this ref did not like it and Lovejoy knows now that he needed to back off.

Anyone that has seen him wrestle (with the exception of one or two people at the Dwenger match) knows that he wrestles hard, but not cheap.  Whether he is wrestling Nix or Quiroga he will give it his all.

I have talked to people that were there on both sides and those that were there thought they were very hard cross faces.  It is only those that listened to the broadcast on the radio that thought that there was anything wrong.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.