Parents of seniors-Catch 22

fearless fly

Actually FF I'm the complete opposite.  My little man is 2 and I'm currently wondering when the proper time to introduce him to the sport is.  He attended the Purdue Duals with me earlier this season but his only interest was seeing how much dirt he could attract from Lambert Fieldhouse.....it was really bad. 

I definately don't want to be "that dad".

Thanks for your response wildcat.  I have no intention to ever move  my children for athletic gains. 

I'm more concerned with being that Dad that wants his son to accomplish what he wished he had in school....given the correct opportunity of course ...lol.

Is that crazy? 

FF, I am not feeling it now, I am enjoying his senior season, however when the tourney gets here and every match could be his last it will be gut wrenching. Unless he makes it to saturday at state, then I will be able to sit back and watch, knowing he has done what he set out to do, but until that time comes I will be on pins an needles.

FF, I am not feeling it now, I am enjoying his senior season, however when the tourney gets here and every match could be his last it will be gut wrenching. Unless he makes it to saturday at state, then I will be able to sit back and watch, knowing he has done what he set out to do, but until that time comes I will be on pins an needles.

I agree wholeheartedly.  BUT, I do have to say that wrestling nearing the end is tougher for me than when football was for a couple of reasons.  After football I knew we still had wrestling.  He doesn't have a sport he participates in after wrestling, so this is it for his high school career.  Second, I really like football, but I LOVE to watch wrestling.  Who knows if he will compete after this?  I hope so and think so, but don't know for sure.  So, to think that I may never have the chance to watch my son compete again, THAT is the gut-wrenching part.   :-\

One of the ledgedary Maldonado fathers said to me, I as I entered my boys in their kid club.  He said, more than likely you the parent will burn out before your kids do in this sport.  All I can say is that he was absouletly correct.  However, I also can say that it's  been worth it.  Traveling to all the different clubs to practice, the kiddie tournaments locally to the state and national tournaments it's been an exhausting road though it's been a fun ride. 

As they entered HS I cut the umbilicale chord (very hard to do but necessay) and let my sons figure it out and let the coaches do their thing.  I figured out that I couldn't keep up the pace as I did in the kiddie days, so hands off was the best policy for my situation. 

The regualar HS seasons have always been fun but to be honest, once the state tournament starts it's an emotional roller coaster ride for the parent more so than for the kid.  The most gut wrencing is ticket round at Semi-State...after that it's all gravey as you can sit watch great matches and relax.

The only advise I would suggest to parents is the " hands off policy" works, enjoy the little time you have  while you can and leave the pressure on the wrestler and coaches.  :)

It's hard to believe. Just the other year I was taking him to tourneys wrestling in the bantam, midget, novice, schoolboy, and even the cadet divisions. :o If you had told me it would go this fast four years ago,  I would've never believed you. Yea, it's hard to imagine how I'll react about the possibilty of watching his last match of high school in the up and coming weeks. Hopefully its under the lights ;D

Freshman year, wrestled 1/2 of year, injured didn't get to wrestle in sectionals.

Sophmore year, missed middle of year, injury, came back, injured in last match before sectionals.

Junior year, wrestled full year no injuries, Friday night at Conseco, in awe of where he's at, loses.

Senior year, slight injury, will be back for sectionals, every match on the edge of my seat with a lump in my throat.

Remembering, lots of time, lots of work, lots of sweat, lots of love.

To all you bantam, midget, schoolboy and middle school parents out there, trust me, it took forever for high school to get here, and as soon as it got here, it has gone by in a flash. Stop yelling and screaming at the refs, quit complaining about the coaches, sit back cheer him on, and enjoy the time, it does fly by once it is here. It was just yesterday I was excited and scared because my little boy was going into such a large high school, and now in a short time he will be leaving that same high school with a degree as a man, and moving away to a school in some far off place and I will only get to see him on a few weekends, holidays and during the summer, and then he is gone. It does not last, so enjoy it while it does.

To all you bantam, midget, schoolboy and middle school parents out there, trust me, it took forever for high school to get here, and as soon as it got here, it has gone by in a flash. Stop yelling and screaming at the refs, quit complaining about the coaches, sit back cheer him on, and enjoy the time, it does fly by once it is here. It was just yesterday I was excited and scared because my little boy was going into such a large high school, and now in a short time he will be leaving that same high school with a degree as a man, and moving away to a school in some far off place and I will only get to see him on a few weekends, holidays and during the summer, and then he is gone. It does not last, so enjoy it while it does.

Wahoo for that!

You guys are really bumming me out. It was hard enough when his manager sister graduated, now this being his last year, it's been pretty tough. I'm personally trying to block it out until banquet, or until the very last match, whenever that may be.

Did everyone make it through their Sr. Night without breaking down?

One thing to remember.....grandchildren come along sometime, and then hopefully it starts all over again!

I am having a very hard time dealing with my son being a Senior in wrestling, football didnt bother me at all I was kinda glad to see that over with. Wrestling while I love this sport and sure am gonna miss it. Senior night was really hard in wrestling, yes i broke down but not infront of him. Knowing the end is coming around the corner is hard, no more wrestling, and looking back at when he was in 3rd grade and what he has accomplished all these years, graduation is coming up, then he is wanting to go into the service. Man, time slow down. I am a proud mother of my senior and no matter what I am thrilled to see his accomplishments he has made in life, win or lose he is my champion. :'(

It is definately a roller-coaster of emotions.  I really enjoyed my son's career and especially enjoyed his senior year.  That last match of his career in the individual tournament (fortunately it was at Conseco, unfortunately it was Friday night)and then the last match of his career at team state were two emotional matches.  It is not easy to comfort an 18 year old when everything he worked so hard for comes to an end.  I still remeber his emotional words after his last match, "I can't believe it's over Dad."  It is definately the best sport to build character for young men.  Enjoy these times they come and go way too fast.

I gave all of you parents of seniors a wahoo. Reading this post made me sad all over again and I think I just stopped crying after Thanksgiving.

Thanks, It is sad but you also have to remember all the positives. He has given me so many joys to remember I can't begin to thank him.

:) I want to thank all the Madison wrestling coach from before and present if it wasnt for your hard work, time, and effort you all put into the sport our kids would not be where they are at today. You help them set their goals not only in wrestling but also in life. apploud everyone of you. THANK YOU FOR THE BEST WRESTLING YEARS WE HAVE HAD HERE IN MADISON.

The Whalen family

One of the ledgedary Maldonado fathers said to me, I as I entered my boys in their kid club.  He said, more than likely you the parent will burn out before your kids do in this sport.  All I can say is that he was absouletly correct.  However, I also can say that it's  been worth it.  Traveling to all the different clubs to practice, the kiddie tournaments locally to the state and national tournaments it's been an exhausting road though it's been a fun ride. 

As they entered HS I cut the umbilicale chord (very hard to do but necessay) and let my sons figure it out and let the coaches do their thing.  I figured out that I couldn't keep up the pace as I did in the kiddie days, so hands off was the best policy for my situation. 

The regualar HS seasons have always been fun but to be honest, once the state tournament starts it's an emotional roller coaster ride for the parent more so than for the kid.  The most gut wrencing is ticket round at Semi-State...after that it's all gravey as you can sit watch great matches and relax.

The only advise I would suggest to parents is the " hands off policy" works, enjoy the little time you have  while you can and leave the pressure on the wrestler and coaches.   :)

Right on daregionrat !!  Tons of great memories and the beauty of it is - they are all stored in our minds.  You can think back and replay the matches,  enjoy the friendships etc in that video camera in your mind and enjoy it anytime you want ! 

Well said Warrendad, another wahoo for you!!!

This is extemely difficult for me and I think will continue to get tougher as this season moves along. I can remember like it was yesterday taking my son to his first wrestling practice as kindegartner. I can remember all of the practice sessions at home, all of the tournaments, camps, long drives, and really long days in gym.

Warrendad - You are exactly right enjoy every minute of it, because it will end ever so quickly.

I wonder sometimes what he's taken away from these experiences and how that will benefit him in his future. I wonder sometimes has he taught me more than I taught him?

I hope I taught him:

Life is a series of problems: Either you are in one now, you're just coming

out of one, or you're getting ready to go into another one.

The reason for this is that God is more interested in your character than your

comfort.

::)To open up and trust himself - You've done the work in practice, traveling, you name it, you've earned the right to be on the mat, own it and make it your own. The next few weeks should NOT be filled with pressure, but an enthusiasm for what you love to do.

You've taught me:

How incredibly proud I am to call you son and to have been able, to be a small part of this journey with you.

As I type this I can't help but feel incredibly humbled and appreciative to all of the people that have helped thru the years. The old saying it takes village to raise a child I beleive it is true.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.