One last shot for Trent Reinoehl

pin2win1

his first meet wont be at the Mishawaka Sectional.

he has to make scratch weight, at whatever weight that is, first before sectionals

and isnt the rule like you have to have 6 weigh ins?

He prolly made those 6 weigh-ins and the scratch weigh-in when he was out for all this time so all he has to do is have his hearing and see what happens.  Good luck Trent, hope to see you wrestling in the sectional.

hes actually allowed to do that? hmmm....

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I assure you, I do not base anything solely on information from this bored! HA

You are correct there is a ?thing? called reasonable doubt. However, that is reserved for criminal court proceedings. This, as you may know, is not a criminal case.

For example: In a civil court case, (no, before you attack me, I am not saying this is a civil court issue, I am using it as an example) you only need the preponderance of evidence.  

I would say there is a preponderance of evidence supporting he broke the rules set forth by the IHSAA.

he has to make scratch weight, at whatever weight that is, first before sectionals

He prolly made those 6 weigh-ins and the scratch weigh-in when he was out for all this time so all he has to do is have his hearing and see what happens.  Good luck Trent, hope to see you wrestling in the sectional.

Ya prolly, for example, say you got hurt and you couldn't come back towards the end of the season, wouldn't you want to make your six weigh-ins and have your one scratch weight so you are ready to compete.

-On another note, I honestly don't know, but if he is currently ineligible, which he is, why would his weigh-ins be counted. Why would he even be allowed in the weigh-in area, if he is not an eligible wrestler?

-If you are injured you are still an eligible wrestler.  Those situations are not the same

Kid broke the rules, got caught, got punished. System Worked.

Don't make excuses for it. This is a great lesson to think about yourself, and teach your kids. Those who try to cheat the system run the risk of being caught and punished. 

-On another note, I honestly don't know, but if he is currently ineligible, which he is, why would his weigh-ins be counted. Why would he even be allowed in the weigh-in area, if he is not an eligible wrestler?

His weigh-ins would be counted because the rules do specifically allow a ineligible wrestler to weigh-in for the purpose of getting enough weigh-ins in before the sectional in case he latter becomes eligible.

-If you are injured you are still an eligible wrestler.  Those situations are not the same

When I got hurt last year I got some weigh-ins for myself so I could possiblly come back at the end of the season.

By your standards, no-one would ever be guilty of anything in this country as it is impossible to get inside someone?s brain to find out what they were thinking. What i can do is look at the situation, and figure it out.

seems like you compared it to a criminal court case to begin with... not me.. all i did was refute the fact that before i point a finger at a kid I am going to have to be 100 percent sure he did something wrong. Seems to me like that is a hard thing to do. Last I heard, the Reinoehl family had the purchase of the new house pending the sale of the old house and that the IHSAA said it was ok at first, but now they are unhappy that such transactions have not taken place. With the housing markets the way they are at this point it seems highly likely that they would be having a hard time to sell their house, as I have known a couple people trying to sell in this market and they are not even getting people to come look at their house. So in my mind, it sounds like both stories are probable, and it sounds like the father's story carries alot of weight.

Ya prolly, for example, say you got hurt and you couldn't come back towards the end of the season, wouldn't you want to make your six weigh-ins and have your one scratch weight so you are ready to compete.

This makes no sense...If you're ineligable then you're ineligable, that includes weighing in. Trent has no weigh-ins this season...He is allowed to be in the weigh in room and wrestling room because he's a volunteer coach during this time (and a damn good one too).

or he could just make things real easy and wrestle for the school in the district which he lives... THE PENN KINGSMEN  :o  no remorse for this situation whatsoever.  what's good for the goose is good for the gander.  follow the rules and the privelage of participating in extracurricular activities won't be taken away.

...Agreed!

By your standards, no-one would ever be guilty of anything in this country as it is impossible to get inside someone?s brain to find out what they were thinking. What i can do is look at the situation, and figure it out.

seems like you compared it to a criminal court case to begin with... not me.. all i did was refute the fact that before i point a finger at a kid I am going to have to be 100 percent sure he did something wrong. Seems to me like that is a hard thing to do. Last I heard, the Reinoehl family had the purchase of the new house pending the sale of the old house and that the IHSAA said it was ok at first, but now they are unhappy that such transactions have not taken place. With the housing markets the way they are at this point it seems highly likely that they would be having a hard time to sell their house, as I have known a couple people trying to sell in this market and they are not even getting people to come look at their house. So in my mind, it sounds like both stories are probable, and it sounds like the father's story carries alot of weight.

Most school disticts in Indiana require proof of residence in order to enroll. In order to show proof of residence, you have to show that you have purchased a home or rent in the district, not intend to purchase one.

Someone else mentioned him living with his grandmother earlier in this thread.  If so, have his parents given up parental rights?

This makes no sense...If you're ineligable then you're ineligable, that includes weighing in. Trent has no weigh-ins this season...He is allowed to be in the weigh in room and wrestling room because he's a volunteer coach during this time (and a damn good one too).

CombatSpeed, his weigh-ins would be counted because the rules do specifically allow a ineligible wrestler to weigh-in for the purpose of getting enough weigh-ins in before the sectional in case he latter becomes eligible. The IHSAA by-laws do allow an ineligable wrestler to weigh-in. See by-law 60-9.

Stay with me here as I don't have a dog in the fight, but I find the entire issue interesting . . .

Perhaps the issue is whether the family ever actually intended to buy the house to begin with.  Normally when you enter into a purchase agreement to buy a house the builder doesn't let you out of it.  Certainly two house payments at once would be brutal, I know from experience.  How did they extract themselves from the purchase agreement?  Was a loan already taken out?  Normally you would have a construction loan when building a new house.  If so, how was the loan terminated?  That must be one nice builder.  Is he connected with the athletic program and are they getting special treatment.  One would hope such evidence would have been used by the IHSAA.  If their ruling was based upon some screwball magnum pi and his kodak moment, then I would say it is a pretty bad decision.  If the family never really intended to move then they got what they deserved.  As it stands now, the family could probably have destroyed the IHSAA in court.  They probably should have started in that direction.  It is amazing what one letter from a lawyer can do to an inflexible review board.

mtv,

Apparently the builder and the family have worked out a deal where the home will be used as a model home until the family can move in. Also I do believe that sometimes sales of homes can be officially done under the terms "pending the sale of the buyers home"

According to the newspaper article, the family does not have the financial resources to go to court.

What is real and what is not? Well I have no idea, but i don't think it is right to pass judgement on this family (especially the child) without knowing all the facts.

Thank you Chambers, I'm knew someone would know the rule for sure.

SB had a good point. You cannot enroll in a school unless you can show you have purchased a home or rent it. They obviously did not purchase it, so...

Yes, you can write in a contract that your purchase agreement is contingent on the sale of your house, however, i have never heard of this in regards to building a new house, it is almost always in purhcasing an existing home.

Everything about this smells fishy. I didn't pass judgement, the IHSAA did. I just agreed.

When is this subject going to end already? It's old news and should be over. PERIOD!!!

In my OPINION he did not get screwed by the IHSAA his family didn't follow the rules and the IHSAA simply followed their own by-laws.

Even if he were to become eligible to wrestle, can someone tell me how he was able to get 6 weight ins?

I'm still not sure how a wrestler can get 6 weight ins if they are ineligble to wrestle due to grades.  I would think ineligible mean eneligible.

If the young man really wants to wrestle this season, I as his father would encourage my son to wrestle for his district school come the state tournament.

My feeling also is, it sucks for the kid that he may replace that's been part of a great team this year, another words screw the wrestler that's helped the team all season. Is high school sports supposed to be about winning at all cost?

The whole situation leaves a bad taste in my mouth about wrestling, looks like we have taken a page from basketball politics.

Even if he were to become eligible to wrestle, can someone tell me how he was able to get 6 weight ins?

I'm still not sure how a wrestler can get 6 weight ins if they are ineligble to wrestle due to grades.  I would think ineligible mean eneligible.

Because a wrestler ineligible due to grades is unable to compete, but can still weigh in with the team...As someone said earlier in the post, this is due to the idea that if he were able to pull his grades up and become eligible, he would have enough weigh ins to wrestle....This is similar to Trent's situation...

When is this subject going to end already? It's old news and should be over. PERIOD!!!

In my OPINION he did not get screwed by the IHSAA his family didn't follow the rules and the IHSAA simply followed their own by-laws.

If the young man really wants to wrestle this season, I as his father would encourage my son to wrestle for his district school come the state tournament.

My feeling also is, it sucks for the kid that he may replace that's been part of a great team this year, another words screw the wrestler that's helped the team all season. Is high school sports supposed to be about winning at all cost?

The whole situation leaves a bad taste in my mouth about wrestling, looks like we have taken a page from basketball politics.

groundhog, as I already posted, the IHSAA by-law 60-9 allows a wrestler that is ineligible (to wrestle)to weigh-in with his team so that if he latter becomes eligible he would then have enough weigh-ins for the sectional. The by-laws are online if you want to see them for yourself.

the IHSAA does not investigate, they do what the school the student left wants. a friend of mine went through this with a child and the director said as much at the two hearing, IHSAA and the panel. only when he went to court did anyone actually look into the circumstances. too bad, if it was investigated by the IHSAA it may resolve these issue earlier, but unless you go to court IHSAA does not investigate.

groundhog, as I already posted, the IHSAA by-law 60-9 allows a wrestler that is ineligible (to wrestle)to weigh-in with his team so that if he latter becomes eligible he would then have enough weigh-ins for the sectional. The by-laws are online if you want to see them for yourself.

Why would an organization want to have their by-laws online?  That is completely ridiculous. :)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.