ASK THE RANKINGS GUY..

RankingsGuy

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now that we are in the month of January, how much does LAST YEARS performance weigh on your decisions as to whether a wrestler should be ranked or not?

It is only used as a guideline, and as you see, several kids with no state experience in the rankings..  However, for a kid to go from say a 7-22 record last year to being ranked in the state this year is kind of far fetched, so it all depends on the situation.

Well top 16 isn't far fetched when the kid is 22-1 now (already avenging his only loss of the year, which was only by a point). Let alone he is #4 in the semi-state rankings behind 3 highly ranked wrestlers. Everyone in our sectional, regional, and semi-state graduated. And 15 of the 16 state qualifiers graduated. He lost to lots of seniors last year weighing only 180 pounds!

Well I think of guys like Kinser and P. Young that didn't even wrestle varsity as freshman. They were ranked their sophomore years!  8)

What about a bad loss.  By bad loss I mean a loss that really should not have happened, but did.  I know a 215 that had a bad loss, and dropped completely out and has not sniffed the rankings since even though in my humble opinion should be ranked over many of those in the rankings .  So my question is, do you lose trust in a wrestler if he happens to have a bad match early in the season.  This may go back to the discussion about a wrestler having an extremely better season than the previous year record wise.

What about a bad loss.  By bad loss I mean a loss that really should not have happened, but did.  I know a 215 that had a bad loss, and dropped completely out and has not sniffed the rankings since even though in my humble opinion should be ranked over many of those in the rankings .  So my question is, do you lose trust in a wrestler if he happens to have a bad match early in the season.  This may go back to the discussion about a wrestler having an extremely better season than the previous year record wise.

A big win can always move a kid who is not on the watch list onto it, and from the watch list into the rankings.  I think I know which situation you are talking about, and he has had a pretty disappointing season this year after his semi state appearance last season.

THERANKINGSGUY  and I don't alway see eye to eye on things. But we do talk about alot of guys who I have ranked that he doesn't have ranked but I think he does a great Job. Also Cadet130 you do a great job by getting your kids names out there.

ontherise (of merrillville semi state and specifically da region fame) and I, as well as several sworn to secrecy regional reps from around the state, talk on a regular basis, and i take their input into consideration as ontherise pointed out

THERANKINGSGUY  and I don't alway see eye to eye on things. But we do talk about alot of guys who I have ranked that he doesn't have ranked but I think he does a great Job. Also Cadet130 you do a great job by getting your kids names out there.

Well I appreciate that. The kid is well-deserving. I know that as a coach, the rankings really mean nothing to ME. However, even when I was in high school, being in the rankings was a big deal. Some kids look at it as being recognized for their hard work. I was the same way in high school, so it's understandable.

I just feel as if in this case, last years results and here-say from those who have seen him wrestle VERY minimal times (if at all) are weighing heavy.

Lookin at da rankins $$$$ has beaten just about everybody

At first i was tinkin date 140 was da toughest/ 119 looks pretty god awfull too

it almost dat time soon I can be dreamin of da ice

By da way it is pretty darn nasty out here by da lake front/ it gonna be a rough ride down Cline tonight !!!

Have you ever been to a Britney Spears concert and if yes what was your favorite song?

never been unfortunately

Then you are not a real man!  ;D

Oops I did it again!

Lookin at da rankins $$$$ has beaten just about everybody

At first i was tinkin date 140 was da toughest/ 119 looks pretty god awfull too

it almost dat time soon I can be dreamin of da ice

By da way it is pretty darn nasty out here by da lake front/ it gonna be a rough ride down Cline tonight !!!

not sure that was a question but hope the roads are safe on the way to the keebler cookie plant, rat...i mean steel mill  :o

A big win can always move a kid who is not on the watch list onto it, and from the watch list into the rankings.  I think I know which situation you are talking about, and he has had a pretty disappointing season this year after his semi state appearance last season.

He has only had 1 loss and was actually names a MOW of a tournament.  

Oh well, you can't get them all right.  ;)

Either way, Rankingsguy, you do a fantastic job. You put a ton of time in to these and I can't imagine having to sort through the million emails you get. There's only one list that counts and that's the list that goes on the IHSAA website that says "State Finals Results!"

Thanks for all you do for the wrestling community. Like someone else mentioned, you can't win them all!

Be honest, are even a little bit biased towards your area of the state????????  It is a human characteristic.

the dominance that the merrillville semi state has showed at the state tournament and the futility of the fort wayne semi state definitely shows in the rankings, i think quite accurately.  my goal is not to predict the 16 guys that will make it to state, but rather to rank the 16 best kids regardless of geographic location..

Do you ever need to dig for information (newspapers/other wrestling sites) or do you depend on information sent to you?

if i only depended on information sent to me, my rankings would look like the ihswca's.  i do extensive digging and searching on my own in local papers, past state series results from the sectionals, regionals, and semi-states, etc.

and the futility of the fort wayne semi state definitely shows in the rankings

and the RankingsGuy lands a swiff uppercut to the jaw of the ft. wayne semistate. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.