6minutes

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I totally agree with AJ on this one. 2 losses still doesn't change the fact that he is a 3x state champ. If anything this will make Harper even better. He should bounce off those 2 losses and make a better wrestler of himself. I still think he will dominate at state for his 4th title.

I totally agree with AJ on this one. 2 losses still doesn't change the fact that he is a 3x state champ. If anything this will make Harper even better. He should bounce off those 2 losses and make a better wrestler of himself. I still think he will dominate at state for his 4th title.

I agree with both AJ and PW here. What it does mean that 130 suddenly seems a lot more wide open and exciting then it did a month ago. And i think that is a good thing.

First off, I would like to say that 130 and 135 were the last weight classes that I ranked b/c I was going back and forth on them so much.. After much thought, I decided to put Spencer at #1 at 130 because to say the least I was very impressed with his ability to put 9 or 10 points on the board against Cashe' who is very tough to score on.  At 2, I hate to say that anything is a "fluke" and I know the reaction I would receive for putting Harper ahead of Cook, so against my better judgment, I put Sampson Cook at number 2.  Third I put the 3x returning state champion, and because of his previous career wins against Porras, I had to put him behind at 4th.

I double checked the list of 3x state champs...and I only see Harper listed?  Then I checked the list of state champs in general...Spencer? Nope.  Porras? Nope.  (Christopher) Quiroga?  Oh yeah he won one!  That's a great accomplishment..but it says he lost 3 matches?  I can't imagine that a guy could lose 3 matches and still be considered the best wrestler in the state?  ;D

Hey rankings guy, I get the feeling that some of these people think you should be in the BCS committee. You can take that anyway ya want. BTW, nice explaination on why you did what tyou did at 30 and 35. And as I have always said, these rankings have no meaning, the true rankings will come out after State, and those are the ones that matter. Thanks for all the hard work, no way would I do that only to get second guessed at every turn. If I want to be told how wrong I am, I will just talk to the wife.

good explanation RankingsGuy.  Nobody can really argue with that explanation.  I just would of thought if Spencer was going to move up in rankings he would of moved up right after his matches with  Cashe.  I see cook moving up because of his win over Harper,  and a hurt harper might not be the toughest 130lb. in the state.  Porras might be the toughest right now.  He has only 1 loss, and that is to who everyone else ahead of him has a loss to "Cashe".

I think RG did the right thing.  Rankings are for right now and how they are currently performing.  What they've done in the past or what they're going to do in the future shouldn't have any bearing on today.

nice job

awood1

I see your point on the matter, but let's remember those 3 Championships were in the past.  He is currently the defending State Champ at 125 not even 130, and that was last year.  I think the rankings have to reflect the current year.  Take nothing away from Harp, I still think he will be a force to be reckoned with come tourney time, but their seems to be some chinks in his armor this year.  I like the rankings guy rationale on this weight class.  Of course I would like to see Frankie #1 here, but that may be a little bias coming out in me. 

I have watched Josh Harper wrestle for many years now. Against others, my own son & in the practice room at Vega's & CIA. I did not see the match, but I know that I have never seen him make the same mistake twice. Whatever he did wrong he will correct. He is a very smart wrestler and knows how to win. My money is on him to be a 4Xer. Frankie is awesome and may have the best shot at upsetting Josh. Whatever happens, it's going to be fun to watch!

Just to be clear...I tottaly respect the rankings guy, his rationale and his choice.  I have an insane desire to compete...as I get old and slow (anyone else relating here? ;D) that desire reveals itself in a need to argue about something.  So if I have even a glimmer of a thought contrary to others, I will argue it to the death....nothing personal, disrespectful or unappreciative of the rankings guy.

That said, Harper could lose the rest of his matches and be out at sectionals and still have accomplished more than anyone else ranked above him even has the potential to do.  For that alone, I believe he deserves my respect....and that is why I would rank him #1.  :)

I double checked the list of 3x state champs...and I only see Harper listed?  Then I checked the list of state champs in general...Spencer? Nope.  Porras? Nope.  (Christopher) Quiroga?  Oh yeah he won one!  That's a great accomplishment..but it says he lost 3 matches?  I can't imagine that a guy could lose 3 matches and still be considered the best wrestler in the state?  ;D

I will wahoo you you every hour for the rest of my life because of this post  ;D haha

I will wahoo you you every hour for the rest of my life because of this post  ;D haha

I am gonna need them....[glow=red,3,400]I am losing cool points faster then I am losing hair![/glow]

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.