What if class wrestling....

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Every time someone that is against class wrestling says, "just give everyone a ribbon then" it doesn't help the argument and is as good as me saying "lets just have one weight class."  Right now Indiana allows the least number of kids to advance to the state finals at 5.18% of the kids in the state earn a free ticket.  States like Iowa, Ohio, Michigan, and Wisconsin all have between 9-13% going to state.  Going to a two class system, which I would prefer, will not kill wrestling like everyone wants to think.  Those states are all surviving pretty well with classes wrestling and allowing double our state qualifiers to participate.  

See stats

http://garrettwrestling.com/statebreakdown.html

I personally am for a two class system and maybe three at most.  I am not for a system like Arizona where they have over 50% of their wrestlers go to state.  

damn...i never knew any of that

well maybe you have no choice

what if Garrett next year only have like 10 wrestlers come out and you could only fill 8 weight classes?

you gonna quit coaching em? you gonna quit helping out the few wrestlers that have a chance to make it far?

sometimes you cant help how large your team is

and i understand, i wouldnt wanna coach half a team. but if thats what i get, im gonna help the few wrestlers i have and take them as far as they can go

You missed the point, as a coach at a small school we have to work with the spring and fall sport coaches to get our athletes.  For our wrestling TEAM we need those athletes and for the track TEAM they need our athletes.  The coaches have built the program to a point where there will be solid numbers on the team each year.  Just about six years ago there were only six kids on the team.  I have seen what it is like to build a program from scratch and know the work it takes and the constant battles we face at a small school.

Also to add to it, I saw what its like at a school of 2000 kids too.  I saw that it was a lot easier to find an average to above average kid walking the hallways than it is at a small school.

Ok so let me ask you this Y2,

Most people will believe that the best wrestler in the state will come from the biggest class (atleast that is what I have heard from the class arguement). However, is that fair to a state champion from a smaller school if he was the best wrestler in the state? I personally like the format we have now because we  know who the best wrestler in the state is in each weightclass at the end of the year under the current system. I would not like the two class not because it would hurt wrestling, but because the champ truly is the state champ, that not state champ of schools with the enrollment between 1 and 1000 wrestlers.

Most people will believe that the best wrestler in the state will come from the biggest class (atleast that is what I have heard from the class arguement). However, is that fair to a state champion from a smaller school if he was the best wrestler in the state? I personally like the format we have now because we  know who the best wrestler in the state is in each weightclass at the end of the year under the current system. I would not like the two class not because it would hurt wrestling, but because the champ truly is the state champ, that not state champ of schools with the enrollment between 1 and 1000 wrestlers.

maybe we could have two classes and then a week later have a little super dual between the champs from each class to wrestle it off.

maybe then we would see who the true champ is?

maybe we could have two classes and then a week later have a little super dual between the champs from each class to wrestle it off.

Why don't they do that for football then?  Why not have a "true" state championship?

Why don't they do that for football then?  Why not have a "true" state championship?

idk!!!! lmao

i dont work for IHSAA

maybe costs?

lol idk dude, but yeah why dont they???

What if the IHSWCA hosted a tourney and invited the top 2 in each weight class from each class to come for a round robin tourney... of course there would not be able to be any school affiliation and wrestlers would have to come at their own expense... but hey, the IHSWCA might raise enough money to get their board back up ;-)

Do you think kids in Ohio, Illinois, Michigan, Pennsylvania all sit and worry that they aren't the "true" state champion?  They know who the best wrestler is, because they see eachother in regular season meets or in the offseason.  How many times have we seen matches between top guys in different weight classes at folkstyle or freestyle state?  The same thing happens in those states too, but with kids from different classes too.  

Does a Sheridan football player really care they aren't the "true" state champion?  Go ask a Sheridan kid if he thinks he was a part of the "true" state championship team.  He will look at you like you are speaking Chinese and say, yes we are the true state champions.

Tell me if these kids look disgusted that they aren't a "true" state champion?  Tell me if they are going to throw their medals away because they aren't a "true" state champion.  Tell me these kids haven't worked hard.  Tell me these kids aren't as happy as an Indiana state champion.

pic4.jpg

pic3.jpg

pic2.jpg

pic1.jpg

These kids aren't worried about a "true" championship.

Why don't they do that for football then?  Why not have a "true" state championship?

Naco i got you on this one.

We do not have 1 state champion in football because the IHSAA realized that to have all the schools participate in the tournament that Football would have to be classed. As a result we have 5 classes. Now why could they not play to find a true champion? I believe the IHSAA also states that you can only play one football game per so many days, therefore to find a true champion from 5 classes you would have to extend the season by atleast 3 weeks, and that would be bad for other sports.

Not to mention no one wants to see the 5A champion completely destroy the other schools ;-)

What if the IHSWCA hosted a tourney and invited the top 2 in each weight class from each class to come for a round robin tourney... of course there would not be able to be any school affiliation and wrestlers would have to come at their own expense... but hey, the IHSWCA might raise enough money to get their board back up ;-)

The top kids see eachother in many tournaments throughout the season and offseason.  

ok Y2 so you are a state champion from another state and you are sitting around shooting the breeze with some guys later in life... you tell them I was a state champion wrestler in class 1A (small school). Then someone asks you if you were the best wrestler in the state in your weight class, what do you say then?

Being a state champion under the class system is different from being the best wrestler in the state, i like the current system where the best wrestler in the state is the state champion

Why don't they do that for football then?  Why not have a "true" state championship?

Naco i got you on this one.

We do not have 1 state champion in football because the IHSAA realized that to have all the schools participate in the tournament that Football would have to be classed. As a result we have 5 classes. Now why could they not play to find a true champion? I believe the IHSAA also states that you can only play one football game per so many days, therefore to find a true champion from 5 classes you would have to extend the season by atleast 3 weeks, and that would be bad for other sports.

Not to mention no one wants to see the 5A champion completely destroy the other schools ;-)

The first state series for football only consisted of four teams in each class in three classes.  They could easily go back to having something similar with 8 or 16 teams in one single class.

ok Y2 so you are a state champion from another state and you are sitting around shooting the breeze with some guys later in life... you tell them I was a state champion wrestler in class 1A (small school). Then someone asks you if you were the best wrestler in the state in your weight class, what do you say then?

Being a state champion under the class system is different from being the best wrestler in the state, i like the current system where the best wrestler in the state is the state champion

You know what?  When I talk to my friends from college that wrestled in class wrestling states, they don't mention the class they were in unless asked.  My friends that were state champions don't say, "I was a DIII state champion," they say "I was a state champion."  You know why?  Its because they consider themselves the state champion or the 4th best kid in the state.  Just like the kids from Sheridan or Jimtown in football, they consider themselves the best in the state.

The top kids see eachother in many tournaments throughout the season and offseason.

How often under folkstyle rules? When I was in HS almost all tourneys were freestyle.

Will you be able to sleep at night if we don't have a "true" state champion?  Will you lie awake at night wondering who the best 160lber in the state is Andrew Howe or Ryan Baker?  Will you wonder aloud whether Ian Hinton can beat Chad Friend? 

You know what?  When I talk to my friends from college that wrestled in class wrestling states, they don't mention the class they were in unless asked.  My friends that were state champions don't say, "I was a DIII state champion," they say "I was a state champion."  You know why?  Its because they consider themselves the state champion or the 4th best kid in the state.  Just like the kids from Sheridan or Jimtown in football, they consider themselves the best in the state.

but you dont think that in the back of their mind they havent thought "could i have really beaten the other guy?" "was i truly the best in state?"

i guess it just comes to certain ppl

if  i won state in a class system, i wouldnt care if i wasnt truly the "best" in state

all i cared is that i had a title that i had gained

so its two sided. i guess it just depends on who you are

so its all about what makes the wrestler feel good it seems like. If they can claim to be a state champ and it makes them feel good, is that what matters? What about if they are really 10oth best in the state but won state because they were in a smaller school? Is it fair for the other 99 not to be able to claim state champions when they were better that the Indiana State champion in another class?

State Champ in my opinion should equal the best wrestler in the state.

so its all about what makes the wrestler feel good it seems like. If they can claim to be a state champ and it makes them feel good, is that what matters? What about if they are really 10oth best in the state but won state because they were in a smaller school? Is it fair for the other 99 not to be able to claim state champions when they were better that the Indiana State champion in another class?

State Champ in my opinion should equal the best wrestler in the state.

agreed

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.