What if class wrestling....

Will you be able to sleep at night if we don't have a "true" state champion?  Will you lie awake at night wondering who the best 160lber in the state is Andrew Howe or Ryan Baker?  Will you wonder aloud whether Ian Hinton can beat Chad Friend?

Actually this has happened before and I was involved, of course it was just intramural football, but it happened. I was on a "scrub" team and we demolished our league not realiaing we would be good. Well we wondered if we were the best team overall. The same thought was also on the mind of the "pro" team whish won the pro league. It acutally bothered both teams so much that we had to play eachother in a pick up game later on that year. So yes, it would bother me if i were the small school state champ and thought I was better than the guy from the bigger school.... I know I would want to prove it.

and who is Ryan Pribble?

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ok Y2 so you are a state champion from another state and you are sitting around shooting the breeze with some guys later in life... you tell them I was a state champion wrestler in class 1A (small school). Then someone asks you if you were the best wrestler in the state in your weight class, what do you say then?

Being a state champion under the class system is different from being the best wrestler in the state, i like the current system where the best wrestler in the state is the state champion

You know what?  When I talk to my friends from college that wrestled in class wrestling states, they don't mention the class they were in unless asked.  My friends that were state champions don't say, "I was a DIII state champion," they say "I was a state champion."  You know why?  Its because they consider themselves the state champion or the 4th best kid in the state.  Just like the kids from Sheridan or Jimtown in football, they consider themselves the best in the state.

but you dont think that in the back of their mind they havent thought "could i have really beaten the other guy?" "was i truly the best in state?"

i guess it just comes to certain ppl

if  i won state in a class system, i wouldnt care if i wasnt truly the "best" in state

all i cared is that i had a title that i had gained

so its two sided. i guess it just depends on who you are

So if you placed in a two class system you would throw your medal in the trash and not want it because you couldn't consider yourself the best in the state?  

Kids in classed states know who the best wrestlers are amongst all divisions.  Just as we know who the best football team in the state is amongst all divisions.  Its no different, we can compare results against common opponents or at the national level or if you're lucky head to head.  

pin2win1,

So you don't consider Jimtown the state champion last year in football?  

Ryan Pribble.  End of discussion.

How is that the end of the discussion?  How come you can only name one small school state champion?  Why can't you mention more?

Brandon Wright

Cashe Quiroga

Josh Harper

Tom Churchard

Sean McMurray

Steven Sandefer

Brennen Cosgrove

Kyle Ullrey

Cooper Samuels

Steve Stahl

Chico Adams

End of Discussion

*Just a side note, I am the only one that can end the discussion :)

y2, I do consider Jimtown the state champs of their class, but I don't consider them as being the best team in the state and personally I want the champs to be the best teams in the state!

I should not that football is one exception because the only way for everyone to compete in the tourney like every other sport is by using a class system

Also yeah now I agree Ryan Pribble ends the discussion  ;)

personally i think if you win state in a class, you are the "2A State Champ" or "D2 State Champ" or whatever

I dont think you are truly the "Indiana State Champion"

Go tell that to a Jimtown football player that they aren't an Indiana state champion.  Go tell that to a basketball player from Triton that they aren't state champions. 

y2, I do consider Jimtown the state champs of their class, but I don't consider them as being the best team in the state and personally I want the champs to be the best teams in the state!

I should not that football is one exception because the only way for everyone to compete in the tourney like every other sport is by using a class system

Also yeah now I agree Ryan Pribble ends the discussion  ;)

How come you can only name one state champion from a small school?  You have to be kidding that there aren't more state champions from small schools aren't there? 

Geeze if one small school has a state champion, they must all have them, huh? 

Lets have a contest, you name one state champion from a small school, I will list 10 from a big school.  Lets see who wins, ok?

y2, i think you are missing the point to Naco and my statment that Jimtown is the champion of their class..... the point is that they aren't the state champion, but that they are the 2A State champ or whatever they are, just as the 5A state champ is not the state champion, they are instead the 5A state champion.

personally i think if you win state in a class, you are the "2A State Champ" or "D2 State Champ" or whatever

I dont think you are truly the "Indiana State Champion"

Go tell that to a Jimtown football player that they aren't an Indiana state champion.  Go tell that to a basketball player from Triton that they aren't state champions. 

so you think Jimtown is the best at what they do or did?

if you mean the '97 Jimtown team, i think Penn, Bishop Chartard, Griffith, and Pioneer would have something to say about who really is "the best in Indiana"

Y2.... i would take you on that if i knew who the "small schools" were off hand, but i don;t have the time, nor do i want to look at which schools are small.... hahaha but i could give you a good fight since I get mater dei ;-) hahahahaha

They aren't the state champions, but why does that trophy say state champions?  Geeze I bet those kids threw their medals in the trash didn't they?  I bet they didn't have a big assembly celebrating that meaningless win huh?  I bet there isn't a banner in the gym saying 2006 State Champions, now is there?  I bet those kids lie awake every night wondering if they can beat Warren Central or Penn.  

The point is, they aren't concerned about the prefix that states "2A."  They consider themselves state champions and they worked hard for that title, it was NOT given to them.  

Y2.... i would take you on that if i knew who the "small schools" were off hand, but i don;t have the time, nor do i want to look at which schools are small.... hahaha but i could give you a good fight since I get mater dei ;-) hahahahaha

lol thats a good one

They aren't the state champions, but why does that trophy say state champions?  Geeze I bet those kids threw their medals in the trash didn't they?  I bet they didn't have a big assembly celebrating that meaningless win huh?  I bet there isn't a banner in the gym saying 2006 State Champions, now is there?  I bet those kids lie awake every night wondering if they can beat Warren Central or Penn.  

The point is, they aren't concerned about the prefix that states "2A."  They consider themselves state champions and they worked hard for that title, it was NOT given to them.  

thats just it, the title DOES SAY "5A State Champions"

of course yeah SOME may not care, but SOME do

i live in South Bend. And two years about when Washington won the title for girls basketball, the whole city was proud, there was a celebration, it was good times. The Title said 4A state champs

And would ya know it i think Plymouth High School won it that year as well for 3A

and i dont think they played each other at all....i wonder who woulda won......?

Actually to me that is the magic about Indiana High School Wrestling.  Someone from one of the smallest competing schools in the state can walk into Conseco and whip everyone.  Ryan was an inspiration to everyone in that building on that night. The vast majority of everyone there was cheering for him.  Tspray mentioned Milan......yea that is kinda what I meant.  You rememebered the name didn't ya.  I think the worst thing that could have happened to Indiana Basketball was classes.........and it happened.....and lost some of the Indiana Basketball Glamour.  I hope that my son someday can compete against the best in Indiana Wrestling without any potential *'s.

So that is 25 state champions, I'll take these schools

66 Bloomington South (Bloomington)

27 Hammond

25 Southport

23 *South Bend Central

19 Lawrence North

18 *Indianapolis Shortridge

17 Delta

16 *East Chicago Roosevelt

15 Decatur Central

15 Franklin Central

15 Griffith

15 Indianapolis Arsenal Technical

15 Indianapolis Cathedral

14 Kokomo

14 Mishawaka

14 Muncie Central

13 *East Chicago Washington

13 Bloomington North

13 Lafayette Jefferson

13 Warren Central

12 Bellmont

12 Ben Davis

12 Portage

11 Hammond Clark

10 Carmel

10 Merrillville

10 North Central (Indianapolis)

9 *Bedford

9 *Hammond Technical

9 Anderson

9 Hobart

8 Elkhart Memorial

8 Indianapolis Broad Ripple

8 Logansport

517 champs

Actually to me that is the magic about Indiana High School Wrestling.  Someone from one of the smallest competing schools in the state can walk into Conseco and whip everyone.  Ryan was an inspiration to everyone in that building on that night. The vast majority of everyone there was cheering for him.  Tspray mentioned Milan......yea that is kinda what I meant.  You rememebered the name didn't ya.  I think the worst thing that could have happened to Indiana Basketball was classes.........and it happened.....and lost some of the Indiana Basketball Glamour.  I hope that my son someday can compete against the best in Indiana Wrestling without any potential *'s.

Time warp back to 1954

You do realize Milan was in 1954 right?  Segregation was the norm back then too.  Women at home raising children was the norm too.  

I understand that this is a Hot topic for you Y2.  I saw enough of those posts from the other site.  I'm just giving you my point of view.  I love no class wrestling and will continue to until the day I Die.  Kinda like you with the class thing.  lol

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.