starting kids late in school to have an advantage in sports.

D-train

I wouldnt say its ethical, but I sure wish my parents would of held me back another year. I know there are 17 year old seniors that wrestle 19 year old seniors at state. That 2 more years of experience and maturity that you give up. Its basically like a sophmore wrestling a senior.

Here we go!  I guess we need classless wrestling by school enrollment and by age/grade groups.

Also wrestlers should be allowed the option to subtract their weight at birth from their current weight so that only "Growth After Birth" counts as True Weight"  If witheld from school, weigh in is required and weight gained from that date to actual enrollment date in school is added to their actual weight and they must wrestle at or above that weight, unless a licensed Surgeon, approved by the IHSAA, certifies they were from a multiple birth, wherefore a 1 lb allowance is made for each additional birth occuring within a 24 hour period to that family within the chosen school district!

Contact any IHSAA Board Member for further clear and concise Gospel Rulings!

Respectfully,  Uncle Sam

i kno that there is a rule in the IHSAA that places an age maximum on athletes. im not sure, but it might be that they cannot be 19 before they start their season.

i realize that.  the hypothetical situation i propose is assuming all of the correct rules are being followed.  

i kno that there is a rule in the IHSAA that places an age maximum on athletes. im not sure, but it might be that they cannot be 19 before they start their season.

I think it's 20 before the start of the state finals of a sport.

is this really a problem...i would hate to think that at that age parents would be making a descision like that for a kid at such a young age in hopes of giving them a competitive edge their senior year of high school. i think that it is reasons like this that the ISWA has age divisions and not grade divisions. the jr age division discusses being in hs so that younger college students are wrestling hs kids. i think it would be horrible making a descision like that

Dtrain ,    you come up with some great topics keep it up

when

i was a senior there were juniors who were older than me.  Another year of wrestling for me wouldnt of hurt anything.  I voted yes.

I would not hold my kids back at any point strictly for athletic reasons. I don't think that this sends a good message to the kids. I know for a fact that several past and current wrestlers have done this in 8th grade.

Dtrain ,    you come up with some great topics keep it up

when

i was a senior there were juniors who were older than me.  Another year of wrestling for me wouldnt of hurt anything.  I voted yes.

thanks!  i will try. 

i voted yes as well, because i am also a big believer that it helps in other areas, not just athletics.  all things being equal, a kid being a year older is going to have an easier time academically, and socially.  an extra year of maturity, both physically and psycologically can only help a kid's confidence.  in those tough years, a little more confidence can go a long way, on and off the mat. 

I think it's 20 before the start of the state finals of a sport.

From the IHSAA By-laws

RULE 4 ? AGE

4-1

A student who is or shall be twenty (20) years of age prior to or on the scheduled date of the IHSAA state finals in a sport shall be ineligible for interschool athletic competition in that sport; a student who is nineteen (19) years of age on the scheduled date of the IHSAA state finals in a sport shall be eligible as to age for interschool athletic competition in that sport.

Q & A

Age Rule - Generally

Q. 4-1 Is a student eligible if the student turns twenty (20) years of age on the second day of a two-day state finals tournament or on the day of a state finals held over 2 weekends, i.e., wrestling?

A. No, if a student turns 20 years of age on any scheduled date of a state finals the student is ineligible. (Rule 4-1)

As with many philosophical/ethical questions they often can cut both ways.  I've seen kids benefit from this approach and also be hindered by it.  The biggest drawback I've seen in the athletic aspect has been when a kid nears or reaches junior high/middle school age, i.e., they are too old for the various youth leagues but not yet in junior high/middle school and are forced to sit out a year.  In situations like this the philosophy backfires and the risk of loss of interest or redirected interests occurs.

I've also seen situations whereas an older kid is dominant while playing against younger less developed kids and is not given adequate recognition or is ridiculed for being in this situation.  Then when faced with players of equal or greater age and/or ability become overwhelmed and fade away.  I've seen this a lot with middle school kids who excel at that level yet when they get to high school and are faced with playing against upperclassmen shy away, regress or disappear all together.

I would say if a parent was going to do this they had better have the kid?s best interest at heart and if this is the case most likely it will not be based on athletics but on more serious life and developmental issues.  Otherwise the parent is starting down the evil road of living vicariously through the child, something that stands to bring a great deal of disappointment to both parent and child as they grow.

IMHO

weather its ethical or not, its not against the rules, nor should it be anybodies business of the age a kid is enrolled in school should it be?

people here love to stir up controversy by diving in to each persons business, and yes if i think it would help my son when i am older i would do it, SUE ME! 

I don't  have a problem with it being in kindergarten. I do have a problem with it being in 7th or 8th grade and done for athletic purposes. I can see it being done  because of academic reasons or possibly even if the kid isn't emotionally ready and if thats the case I'd consider that none of our business.

weather its ethical or not, its not against the rules, nor should it be anybodies business of the age a kid is enrolled in school should it be?

people here love to stir up controversy by diving in to each persons business, and yes if i think it would help my son when i am older i would do it, SUE ME! 

Damn Fabio it was just a little conversation stimulator. Chill out dude. Ever since the whole thing with Rihonel(sp) the folks from mishawaka are up in arms about people being in their  personal busisness. sheesh

If you read the question and you have an ounce of sense you should answer no, if you are talking about wrestling. It is not a profession. It is high school sport. Are you serious thinking about gaining a competitive edge in kindergarten. I would be more concerned with my childs I.Q. There are legitimate reasons to hold a child back but those of you who use it as a loophole to gain a competitve edge, if that is  all you are considering, then it is unethical. I would say to those people : Get a grip on reality! Or is your son going to be the next " Dick the Bruiser" ??

If you read the question and you have an ounce of sense you should answer no, if you are talking about wrestling. It is not a profession. It is high school sport. Are you serious thinking about gaining a competitive edge in kindergarten. I would be more concerned with my childs I.Q. There are legitimate reasons to hold a child back but those of you who use it as a loophole to gain a competitve edge, if that is  all you are considering, then it is unethical. I would say to those people : Get a grip on reality! Or is your son going to be the next " Dick the Bruiser" ??

Cool you jets Turbo

I didn't turn 17 until June 22 after my senior season.  I finished 4th and would have loved to come back for one more year.  I decided to give that advantage to my son.  His birthdate is June 1.  I simply started him  when he was just turning 6.  I didn't know if he would ever be a wrestler.  However, I knew that I was a very late physical maturing young man.  It ended up working out for him.  He was an average football player as a 15 and 16 year old kid.  He ended up hitting puberty during his 17 year old summer.  He finished 4th in the state as a junior.  I remeber him telling me he placed as high as me as junior.  I reminded him that we were the same age.  He came back as an 18 year old senior and placed second.  Losing only to Ian Hinton in OT.  It can sometimes be the difference between a D1 or a D2 scholarship.  It also gave him the opportunity to get stronger for football.  He had an advantage in the classroom as well.  Boys mature later than girls.  I coach 8th grade football and wrestling.  It seems to be that when I have a bunch of Cadet age 8th graders we are more successful on the football field and in the wrestling room.  PS. I believe it also helped him in the classroom.  He was always one of the top students in his class.  Why not give your kids the best advantange to be successful in life?  I guess I could have held him back one more year, but 19 turning 20 is a little bit much.

I didn't turn 17 until June 22 after my senior season.  I finished 4th and would have loved to come back for one more year.  I decided to give that advantage to my son.  His birthdate is June 1.  I simply started him  when he was just turning 6.  I didn't know if he would ever be a wrestler.  However, I knew that I was a very late physical maturing young man.  It ended up working out for him.  He was an average football player as a 15 and 16 year old kid.  He ended up hitting puberty during his 17 year old summer.  He finished 4th in the state as a junior.  I remeber him telling me he placed as high as me as junior.  I reminded him that we were the same age.  He came back as an 18 year old senior and placed second.  Losing only to Ian Hinton in OT.  It can sometimes be the difference between a D1 or a D2 scholarship.  It also gave him the opportunity to get stronger for football.  He had an advantage in the classroom as well.  Boys mature later than girls.  I coach 8th grade football and wrestling.  It seems to be that when I have a bunch of Cadet age 8th graders we are more successful on the football field and in the wrestling room.  PS. I believe it also helped him in the classroom.  He was always one of the top students in his class.  Why not give your kids the best advantange to be successful in life?  I guess I could have held him back one more year, but 19 turning 20 is a little bit much.

My son was born the 23 of June. We could have started him a year earlier and would have been the youngest kid in his grade. Because he was small (he was premature at birth) we started him the next year. Even if we held him back, he would still be eligible, that's crazy.

Navy80

Cut the macho crap and just respond to the question with you opinion and a reason for your opinion.

PM1981

Your point is well made. Is your son still in college and is he still wrestling? The answer to these questions should help make my point.

Oscar, He went to Eastern Illinois.  They dropped the program his freshman year.  Anothr program victim of title IX.  He is at Ball State.  He coaches at Muncie South HS.  He is also a member of the Indiana National Guard.  He joined the military and is a high school wrestling coach to help cover college expenses that parents now a days just can't afford.  He is majoring in Journalism.  I still haven't figured that one out?  Hopefully, he  can add an english teaching certificate to that.  He wants to be a helicopter pilot in the military.  PS.  I believe Muncie South has a meet with New Castle, possibly tonight?  I think AJ's Middle school will be wrestling before the high school match!  I would do the same thing all over again.  What you might find interesting is that I didn't start my daughters late.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.