state champs getting beat at state the next year.

D-train

this is probably my favorite:  in 1990, at 189 the 3/4th place match was a rematch of the previous years finals.  jason greer of princeton pinned dan wicliffe of muncie southside.  the previous year in the finals greer pulled out a close 9-8 dec.  greer went on to win state for a second time the following year, he had one loss that year.    

In 1990, I thought Wickliffe lost to Locke of Delta in the finals at 189?  Also, earlier that year, Tim Clark of Beech Grove beat Greer and Locke in the same day at the Greenwood Holiday Classic but ended up losing to Wickliffe Friday night at MSA.

according to the infamous book, "echoes of the elder", wickliffe was pinned in the semi's by shwartzengraber of prarie heights, who then lost to locke 8-1.

wickliffe had 7 losses each season, which kind of stood out to me.  did he wrestle someone and lose multiple times each year?

I wouldn't necessarily call Galka's senior year a "slump."  A lot of kids dream to be in the state finals, and a runner-up to McMurray is nothing to hang your head about, although Galka handled him at semi-state.  Also, my heart breaks for a kid like Brandon Wright who takes second as a freshman, 1st as a sophomore, and then wins at Fargo, only to come back this year and have to wrestle with the likes of Tsirtsis and Quiroga.  He has already lost to both of these guys, but still has a chance at redemption. 

Dwone Williams Gary Wirt was a Champ at 103 then nothing as a Senior

I had a few whippings at the hands of Dwone! He was a heck of nice guy, I thought he was a senior when he won it. We grappled a few times in freestyle as well. One other that comes to mind for me for losses was Rob Pavletic from Hobart, won state then the next year he didn't get out of the first day at Mishawaka.

note: I did find an old newspaper article mentioning not being able to wrestle as senior, but it said he had to repeat 1st and 4th grade.  Math seems fuzzy.. that would make him 20?  No wonder he pounded me! :)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.