state champs getting beat at state the next year.

D-train

this is a continuation from an earlier topic.  we sometimes take it for granted that when an underclassman wins state that he will be a multiple winner, but that is not always what happens.  if i'm not wrong, it happened 3 times just last year.  (eppert, galka and malone)  i even remember a couple of times when the state champ didn't even qualify for state the next year. 

152 -- Brad Harper, junior, Mishawaka, dec. Erik LeBeau, senior, Fort Wayne Concordia, 9-2.

160 -- Kevin Carr (41-0), senior, Wawasee, dec. Brad Harper (27-2), senior, Mishawaka, 2-1 (OT).

I think Harp has shook it off and done ok for himself since.   ;D  :P

had harper and lebeau wrestled each other earlier in that season?

Jon Lloyd from Warren Central- Champ at 103 as a junior, got beat in the semi's i believe as a senior

Stealing this one from groundhog in another post  :D, Josh Birge from frankfort.. Champ at 112 in 98' as a junior...... Got beat in the ticket round his senior year at the M ville semi-state state!!

this is probably my favorite:  in 1990, at 189 the 3/4th place match was a rematch of the previous years finals.  jason greer of princeton pinned dan wicliffe of muncie southside.  the previous year in the finals greer pulled out a close 9-8 dec.  greer went on to win state for a second time the following year, he had one loss that year.    

Chad Shepard Western was a Champ in 1991 and I didn't see anything about him as a Senior. Same with Dwone Williams Gary Wirt was a Champ at 103 then nothing as  a Senior. But the Question of returning Champs getting beat at State. David Maldonado EC Central was a Champ as a Jr and was beat as a Senior in the Finals. Also Tim Myers Bellmont was a 2x Champ going for his 3rd when he was beat in the finals By Hanover Centrals Greg Larsen And Nick Hull Lawrence Central Was a returning Champ and was beat in the finals by Vince Sessa Lake Central

Chad Shepard Western was a Champ in 1991 and I didn't see anything about him as a Senior. Same with Dwone Williams Gary Wirt was a Champ at 103 then nothing as  a Senior. But the Question of returning Champs getting beat at State. David Maldonado EC Central was a Champ as a Jr and was beat as a Senior in the Finals. Also Tim Myers Bellmont was a 2x Champ going for his 3rd when he was beat in the finals By Hanover Centrals Greg Larsen And Nick Hull Lawrence Central Was a returning Champ and was beat in the finals by Vince Sessa Lake Central

williams was, i beleive, too old to wrestle sr. season.  i knew him from open rooms back in the day. 

shepard from western was beat at regionals by steve henry from laporte, then beat again in the ticket round at merrillville by eric bothwell from crown point.  if i'm not mistaken it was the second time that year that bothwell beat shepard.

D-train you are correct about Williams from Wirt. That was before they change the age limit. Now some kids can come in as redshirt  freshman.

i couldn't remember exactly how old he was, but would he have been able to wrestle now under the new rules? 

my wife was watching a thing on t.v., (i think it was dr. phil) where a parent was on that had intentionally started his kid in school a year late so he would be better at football in high school.  i think that i'll make that a poll question. 

152 -- Brad Harper, junior, Mishawaka, dec. Erik LeBeau, senior, Fort Wayne Concordia, 9-2.

160 -- Kevin Carr (41-0), senior, Wawasee, dec. Brad Harper (27-2), senior, Mishawaka, 2-1 (OT).

Hadn't Harper broken his leg before his senior season started?

williams was, i beleive, too old to wrestle sr. season.  i knew him from open rooms back in the day. 

shepard from western was beat at regionals by steve henry from laporte, then beat again in the ticket round at merrillville by eric bothwell from crown point.  if i'm not mistaken it was the second time that year that bothwell beat shepard.

Shepherd was a 4x regional champ but fell to Douglas from Valpo in the ticket round at ss. He never wrestled Bothwell or Henry

this is probably my favorite:  in 1990, at 189 the 3/4th place match was a rematch of the previous years finals.  jason greer of princeton pinned dan wicliffe of muncie southside.  the previous year in the finals greer pulled out a close 9-8 dec.  greer went on to win state for a second time the following year, he had one loss that year.    

In 1990, I thought Wickliffe lost to Locke of Delta in the finals at 189?  Also, earlier that year, Tim Clark of Beech Grove beat Greer and Locke in the same day at the Greenwood Holiday Classic but ended up losing to Wickliffe Friday night at MSA.

Hadn't Harper broken his leg before his senior season started?

excuses...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.