Coaches board

tskin

Joe,

You raise some good questions.  If you are not getting the mailings, that is a problem. I know the association does a good job of getting info to head coaches, but it sounds like they need to improve contact with other members.  As far as meetings go, yes, I do know that the officers meet regularly to discuss various issues.  Most clubs or organizations have "exectutive" or "board" meetings regularly. I personally have never felt like I was being left out, but perhaps we need to post the times and places of these meetings and open them up to all members. 

I know that JD announced at the fall clinic (and also has in past years) that we would be sponsoring the Scholastic Duals trip again. He opened it up to anyone interested and said to contact one of the officers if you are interested in joining the trip as a coach.  For the All Star duals, I believe the "Coach of the Year" award winner is the "honorary" coach, but any coach who has a wrestler participating is allowed and encouraged to coach him in the meet.  I probably just know some of this stuff from "hanging around" so long. The IHSWCA should probably make a point to publicize this information so our newer members are up to speed.  I will mention it to JD Minch the next time I see him.

CE

If you are not getting the mailings, that is a problem

For lay coaches (of which I am one), mailings should be sent to the residential address.  I don't know about other institutions, but anything sent to me at the high  school has a better than even chance of not seeing the light of day or I will get the letter long after the information is still relevent.

If you are not getting the mailings, that is a problem

For lay coaches (of which I am one), mailings should be sent to the residential address.  I don't know about other institutions, but anything sent to me at the high  school has a better than even chance of not seeing the light of day or I will get the letter long after the information is still relevent.

Insanoflex, you dont have a mailbox at your school?  We have mailboxes for all coaches in the teacher's lounge area....for both lay and school coaches....I'd request one! or goto walmart, buy a tray, put your name on it, and stick it in the high school office, next to the athletic directors tray! lol

Are there not really two separate problems with the coaches board?  The most glaring is the complete lack of technical ability to manage the board, but I think the more troubling problem is the almost total lack of information and publicity for their program.  It is almost as if some coaches enjoy the "wrestling gets no respect" routine.  I will make some stats up here, at least 80% of the coaches don't post any information about their program or results, etc.  The sport of wrestling will never grow much or gain a larger audience if the coaches are too protective of their program, embarrassed, or plain old lazy to promote their own team.  These boards are essentially free publicity and the effort level is next to nothing.  I am sure most programs have a booster club that could help out as well.

Insanoflex, you dont have a mailbox at your school?

I do, but that doesn't automatically guarantee items sent to me make it there in a timely fashion if at all.

There is a flaw in our system, no doubt.  However, I cannot be the only coach to have this sort of problem.

No matter how well any association is organized or participated in, it remains a futile effort for our sport with our state's athletic association. This site has run circles around the old site. Frankly, this site runs circles around the Indiana Gridiron Digest, which is widely acclaimed in the football community across the entire country.

The fact remains that the IHSAA won't gratify any organized endeavors for a sport they view as secondary to their revenue stream like wrestling. I am sure Rex and the IHSWCA.com crowd lost a little hope with the constant neglect from the IHSAA for their organized efforts for basic and critical improvements to the overall health of the sport such as wrestlebacks in the tournament. 

For an outlet for this great sport, IndianaMat.com is about as good of a site as we could hope for. However, I do not think we should be critical of the effort of those in the Coaches Association because they have tried their best to progress wrestling in Indiana. 

The discussion is great and some very good ideas have been offered.  I would like to add some thoughts for clarity if I may.  First of all, I have found this site to be very good and full of promise.  I have enjoyed reading the articles and features.  Secondly, it has been stated the the president of the IHSWCA has registered twice on this board.  Actually, my assistant registered first because we were trying to dind a team for the New Haven Invitational this weekend on short notice and  as you know the other website was down.  I liked what I saw on this site so I registered.  I am not sure where the feeling that the Association disproves this site, but it is not coming from the president.  Thirdly, I know the Association is not perfect and has it shortfalls but I think Coach Ervin adequately expressed some of the positive points.  This is my 39th year of coaching and I have seen a lot of things in Indiana Wrestling.  For all but four of those years I was on the outside like some of you may feel but I believe we have progressed since 1970.  As an officer for the past four years I would like to have seen more changes, such as Wrestle-Backs and taking 16 teams to the Team State Finals.  I know the IHSAA does not work as fast or always in the direction I would like them to go, but the stage is set for these developments in the future.  I will be supportive of the Association and you younger coaches who can make it happen, but we have to be supportive of what is best for Indiana Wrestling, not just what is good for me and my team.  Case in point, I favor the new State Team format, it does need tweaking.  But the New Haven Sectional Champion did not get a break to have to wrestle in the same Regional with Bellmont and Yorktown.  All of the best for Indiana Wrestling!

B. Humble

The wrestling coaches association should use a similar format as the football coaches association does in regards to communication.  I know there are regional reps in wrestling (does anyone know who they are), and I am assuming that they meet within their region (does anyone know when these meetings occur), then take recommendations and suggestions to a regional coaches meeting with all the officers present.  The officers then present what was suggested to the IHSAA (not what they believe, but what coaches in Indiana as a whole believes).

Every football coach knows about meetings, agendas, discussions, recommendations, etc...

The problem is clearly communication.  I don't believe it is intentional, and JD, Rex, Barry, etc... have done a lot for our sport, this should be acknowledged.  However, there is an obvious problems and Indiana coaches should have a voice as to how to improve things.  I'm certain Y2 would be more than happy to post regional meetings and agendas on this board to help with the communication.  I know Barry well enough to know he would listen to these suggestions and take them back to the other officers.  We have to work together to get this sport where we want it, it cant be young coaches vs veteran coaches. 

There has to be a fairly easy solution to communication issues in today's world.  Remember, as I heard suggested previously, sending letters through the US postal service is extremely expensive and very labor intensive.  There are better solutions then that. 

I have yet to hear of any regional meetings taking place anywhere.   Weren't these reps just used to gather rankings?

I think ace was suggesting that the association use these regional reps to distribute information to the membership.  I do think that regional reps should be nominated and voted for however.  I do not think that they are at this time.

The discussion is great and some very good ideas have been offered.  I would like to add some thoughts for clarity if I may.  First of all, I have found this site to be very good and full of promise.  I have enjoyed reading the articles and features.  Secondly, it has been stated the the president of the IHSWCA has registered twice on this board.  Actually, my assistant registered first because we were trying to dind a team for the New Haven Invitational this weekend on short notice and  as you know the other website was down.  I liked what I saw on this site so I registered.  I am not sure where the feeling that the Association disproves this site, but it is not coming from the president.  Thirdly, I know the Association is not perfect and has it shortfalls but I think Coach Ervin adequately expressed some of the positive points.  This is my 39th year of coaching and I have seen a lot of things in Indiana Wrestling.  For all but four of those years I was on the outside like some of you may feel but I believe we have progressed since 1970.  As an officer for the past four years I would like to have seen more changes, such as Wrestle-Backs and taking 16 teams to the Team State Finals.  I know the IHSAA does not work as fast or always in the direction I would like them to go, but the stage is set for these developments in the future.  I will be supportive of the Association and you younger coaches who can make it happen, but we have to be supportive of what is best for Indiana Wrestling, not just what is good for me and my team.  Case in point, I favor the new State Team format, it does need tweaking.  But the New Haven Sectional Champion did not get a break to have to wrestle in the same Regional with Bellmont and Yorktown.  All of the best for Indiana Wrestling!

B. Humble

Nice post Mr. Humble. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.