Lowell quarterback takes leadership from field to mat

lpd096

BY NATE ULRICH

nate.ulrich@nwitimes.com

219.933.3374 | Wednesday, January 07, 2009 | No comments posted.

Lowell Quarterback takes leadership from the field to mat.

Lowell senior Kurt Monix is anything but a "pretty-boy quarterback" who isn't tough enough to take a hit and dish one out.

Just ask Monix's opponents during the winter sports season. All 17 of them have lost to the Red Devils wrestling captain in 2008-09.

"He does all the little things, which is what separates your good athletes from your great ones," first-year Lowell wrestling coach Joe Willmann said. "He's a kid who truthfully cares about everything he does. There's some kids that just do sports to do them, but he truly puts his heart and soul into things."

Monix's dedication has not only helped him lead one of the Region's most successful football teams during recent years, but it's also been the catalyst for his three semistate appearances as a wrestler. Monix, however, isn't satisfied with stopping short of a trip to the state tournament at Conseco Fieldhouse.

"I'm so sick of coming up short and something happening," Monix said. "I want to make it down there, but one match isn't good enough. I want to win."

So far this season, Monix (160 pounds, 17-0) seems to be destined for success.

http://nwi.com/articles/2009/01/07/sports/indiana_prep_sports/doc0a972d679910175686257536005eb73a.txt

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.