Toughest Semi-State

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

!m-VILLE!! EXAMPLE; LAST YEARS 140 WEIGHT CLASS: TOP FOUR ALL PLACED IN STATE; DILLION, WARD, SANDEFUR, AND MILLER.  AND ELVIDGE, RANKED FIRST ALL YEAR, WAS BEAT OUT BY DILLION! TOUGHEST SEMI-STATE FOR SURE, AT LEAST THAT WEIGHT CLASS LAST YEAR.

M'Ville SS produces state champs that dont even win semi state.. its pretty nice to see 2nd places and 3rd places at semi state to turn around and win the big show....

135 last year McMurray lost to galka in semi state then returned the favor the next week under the lights...

145 (2006) Biddle losses to lawrence then takes 3rd in semi state and wins the show the next week.

in 2006 McGill vs. Walters was a constant battle all year. they were in the finals in SS and under the lights in Conseco wrestlin for the title...

now these are just a few cases i am familiar with....probably more than this  too.....

I just crunched some numbers,and based on the number of top 10 and top 3 ranked individuals feeding in I have the following:

#1 - New Castle (46)

#2 - Merrillville (33)

#3 - Evansville (30)

#4 - Woodlan (28)

I grew up always going to Merrillville, and I think that it usually has the best depth and is the strongest, but this is a year that has a lot of very good wrestlers around Indianapolis. I have to throw my vote to New Castle this year (for once).

I also have data for regionals and sectionals if anyone is interested.

I just crunched some numbers,and based on the number of top 10 and top 3 ranked individuals feeding in I have the following:

#1 - New Castle (46)

#2 - Merrillville (33)

#3 - Evansville (30)

#4 - Woodlan (28)

I grew up always going to Merrillville, and I think that it usually has the best depth and is the strongest, but this is a year that has a lot of very good wrestlers around Indianapolis. I have to throw my vote to New Castle this year (for once).

I also have data for regionals and sectionals if anyone is interested.

Based off of this and the other number crunching that WCS145 did in the other thread, it seems the top two should be Merrillville and New Castle. WCS145 showed the following as far as how many kids placed at State last year:

Merrillville: 36 placers - 6 champions

New Castle: 30 placers - 4 champions

Evansville Reitz: 24 placers - 2 champions

Woodlan: 22 placers - 2 champions

Merrillville.  You've got the Region and Mishawaka, enough said.

The same can be said about any ranked team....not just the state champs. If it's based off of last year's state champs then Evansville has been tops throughout (Bloomington South in the early years and MD for almost 2 decades). I think a more interesting "theme" to look at is the different styles that come out of each SS. I see Merrillville as having the more "flashy" styles. Most of their quali's are slick on their feet and have high octane offense. Being from So. IN I feel the Evansville SS advances more blue collar wrestlers. They are not experts at any one area, but are tough and all around hard working kids. Just a thought.......

dont mean to sound like a noob...but whats the Region?

sry ???

"Region" is short for Calumet Region, which is named for both the prominent Indian tribe who lived in these areas of Indiana, which also gave its name to the Little Calumet and Grand Calumet Rivers that many of the cites in Lake, Porter and southern Cook County in Illinois adjoin.  The region is probably more named for these rivers than the tribe.  They also call this area Illiana, but that usage has been minor.

Side note:  "calumet" is also a name for the peace pipe, which is very befitting from the times I have spent over in that area.

sry ???

OK, I am hoping that you have not been in Indiana for very long, And while I dont know the exact geographical boundries, the "region" is in the northwest corner of the state up near Chicago.

sry ???

OK, I am hoping that you have not been in Indiana for very long, And while I dont know the exact geographical boundries, the "region" is in the northwest corner of the state up near Chicago.

Gotta love that even Wikipedia has a write up on it when you type in The Region.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Region

sry ???

Gotta love that even Wikipedia has a write up on it when you type in The Region.

Not really since anyone can add anything to Wikipedia. If I wanted I could add Switzerland county to the Region.

ff

sry ???

Not really since anyone can add anything to Wikipedia. If I wanted I could add Switzerland county to the Region.

ff

Do it.  You know you want to.  :)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.