Young Head Coaches

74smack

LN Coaching Staff is pretty young.

Williams- 30 but when his little girl is around he is 5

Douglas- ??? I have known him for 9 years and still don't know his real age, but he thinks he is 23

Gondol- 3? but has a personality of a highly educated 19 year old teenager

Weimer- 28 but everyone tells me that my hair makes me look about 40?  I still don?t see it.

As a young head coach I haven't had any problems with refs.  If anything I think they have gone out of there way before matches to talk to me and answer any questions.  I think my biggest problem is numbers.  I don't work at the school so it's hard for me to bring guys up.  I visited every freshman gym class but had no luck. 

My problem this year is because of small numbers (and probably my young age) the kids think they can get away with more.  I'm in a bind because I don't want to kick kids off the team but at the same time if someone misses a lot of practices it is setting a bad example.  It doesn't help that the 2 kids giving me the most problems are seniors. 

Any advice?

As a young head coach I haven't had any problems with refs.  If anything I think they have gone out of there way before matches to talk to me and answer any questions.  I think my biggest problem is numbers.  I don't work at the school so it's hard for me to bring guys up.  I visited every freshman gym class but had no luck. 

My problem this year is because of small numbers (and probably my young age) the kids think they can get away with more.  I'm in a bind because I don't want to kick kids off the team but at the same time if someone misses a lot of practices it is setting a bad example.  It doesn't help that the 2 kids giving me the most problems are seniors.   

Any advice?

Start fresh. I have the same issue this year as I am in my first year as a head coach. I had a few seniors that decided not to come back out. At first it was hard and I really wanted them out on the team because of my low numbers.  But as a few weeks past I was totally fine with it.  I have guys on the team that do nothing but work hard for me and that's all I can ask for right now.  I have no problem with giving up 3-4 forfeits right now, cause when we do pick up dual wins it makes it even better.  You can't accomplish everything in your first year, it is just a stepping stone to what you will do with your program.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.