Young Head Coaches

74smack

I think more and more coaching wrestling is a young man's game. That is unless one is lucky enough to have a super-cool wife and zero kids... or perhaps one's own kid is part of the program. Factor in a mortgage and economy issues, and it is hard to create an adult life and continue coaching. To truly compete one has to coach year-round- all over the country- we all know that. Four years ago I went to see a financial planner to learn what I could do about saving some money.  After studying my background, schedule, etc... the first thing he told me to do was quit coaching. At first I was shocked, but then he broke down all the hours I spent in the spring (freestyle), summer (camps, open room, clinics), and fall (conditioning) and showed me my potential income if I took a simple job waiting tables, mowing yards (I live in florida now), or bar tending. Quite frankly it was staggering.

We often read about kids burning out, but it happens to coaches too. With the growing demands in the classroom collecting data, statewide testing, NCLB, and all the other educational mumbo jumbo, coaching simply became a burden that stressed my life, girlfriend, and wallet. I won't even go into issues with societal changes, kids who simply quit, screaming parents, etc... Ten years was enough. I dont know about Indiana, but in Florida more and more teams, good teams, are losing experienced coaches for such reasons. Many schools are now having a tough time assembling a staff- let alone finding experienced head coaches.

I, for one, am glad there are young coaches right out of college willing to take on this sport. I hope parents think about this next time get upset with their kid's coaching staff over a difference of philosophy. It takes a ton of energy, dedication, and patience to run a wrestling program, so I think the new young coaches are great as they have the tools to make solid programs. Hopefully they will find solid mentors to guide them through their first few years- be it supportive parents and/or an experienced coach. The late Dave May and Coach Goddard from Ben Davis made all the difference in the world for me. Teaching wrestling was the easy part, but running a program is freakin' tough. Too bad some schools don't remember this when they run their 24 year old coaches off the mat over something like a trivial discipline issue.

I guess it all depends on the quality of the program if it was a good choice bringing in a young head coach.  There are a few guys out there my age that I believe are highly capable of building and coaching a program.  I've also seen some young guns come in thinking they know everything, and it all just sort of blows up in their face.  In no way would I have been ready to run a team until this year.  The best thing I ever did was take the assistant job at Homestead and work with Coach Pursley, who was actually just getting into his second year of coaching there.  It allowed me to learn even more than what I learned growing up in the Bellmont wrestling room.  But I'd have to say that Coach Willmann (Lowell) and myself made the right jump at the right time for both of us heading up solid programs.

I know I am a tad bias, but Ryan Landis is 26 and is an excellent coach at Southern Wells.  He is hardworking, motivated, and simply loves coaching.  I believe this is his 5th or 6th year as head coach. 

I played basketball and tennis all through high school and college.  I never cared too much for wrestling.  Coach Landis is the biggest reason I have become interested in wrestling.  His enthusiasm and knowledge of the sport has rubbed off on me.  I am now a huge fan of high school wrestling and look forward to watching as many matches as I am able!

I think Winceshter's coaches are 23 and 19

I think Union City's coaches are 26 and 27

I think Richmond's has two coaches about 28 and 22.

Winchester so far with their two coaches have put up about 29 wins and 8 losses in two seasons

Union City's coaches with a small small squad have made a lot of improvement

Richmond looks good too with their new coaches as well...I think they have 10 wins or something like that

He did an amazing job last year at Tri leading the Titans to their best year...and a great 2nd place finish at TEC.

Good job young coaches in the TEC

I would like to make an observation regarding young coaches....I think the refs do a great job and obviously love the sport, but I have seen too many times when they don't show respect to the young coaches.  Just because they are young doesn't mean they aren't knowledgable about the sport.  Yes, they may have more to learn, but the refs demand respect and should give the young coaches the same.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.