Great Series Between 2 Wrestlers

XCard

With some great wrestling completed already, holiday and conference tourneys upcoming.  I was wondering if anyone could remember some great series between two wrestlers.  Of course one I recall recently is the McGill/Cosgrove Series.  I believe I mentioned earlier that we have potential for a Quiorga/Wright series this year.  Maybe The Ancient Elder can help me with this question, what is the most two individuals have wrestled each other in one season?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Beleive it or not,

Hall

• as a 10th grader, has had to wrestle Weisjahn numerous times
  • as an 11th grader had Joey Smith a bunch
  • and this year will likely get heaping helpings of Sandefer

Is there anyone else in the state as battle-hardened?

haha Joe you are right there....it was hard to find a person ever on Zehr's side during a match...my favorite memory was at the ACAC tourney in 2004...it was at Adams Central and him and Dustin Mitchel wrestled in the finals...Mitchel ended up winning like 5-2 but during the match Zehr did something "typical" and the whole gym just erupted in boo's, there were old grandpas yelling obscenities at Zehr and he was yelling them right back....after the match Zehr and Adam Centrals AD (Minich) had to be separated....I know because I was the one separating them!!

this series wasn't between two outstanding wrestlers but i believe they wrestled 6 times over the course of the season..Carlo Martinez (merrillville) and Ben Williams (chesterton) 2 years ago wrestled at the Tom Cameron, Al Smith, Their Dual Meet, DAC Tourney, Team Semi-State, and then Individual Semi-State..i believe they were both 3-3 but Ben picked up the win when it mattered..like i said, not the best wrestlers but it was a fun match to watch

I wouldn't call it a great series but since were on the subject of how many time 2 wrestlers met up i thought I would add that I had 13 or 14 losses to Alex Tsirtsis in 2 seasons.  Those were just in high school matches not freestyle,  folkstyle,  or greco.  The outcome was never in my favor as you might guess  :'(

Tony Currie, AC assistant coach, had two good series.  He and Pete Knecht met 4 times Tony's Junior year in a dual, Regional championship, Semi-state championship, an State championship.  Pete won all 4 matches, but never by more than a regular decision, I think.

But the best matches were with TJ Hays.  Tony won the first few, but their Senior year TJ came out on fire in the dual and won by pin.  TJ won again in the Sectional final.  I'm not sure about regional, but Currie got his cradle going abd won by pin at Semi-state and state.  Of course this series was made better by the rabid fans for each side going nuts as soon as they stepped on the mat.

A few Cathedral classic battles:

Lance Ellis vs. Paul Sullivan (Beech Grove) - Sullivan inched closer every time almost upending Lance at tech his senior year. I think it was 7 matches.

Jason Terry vs. Marlin Stewart (Brebeuf) - Marlin only won once, but it was always a battle from sectional on I believe for 2 years. Stewart won it the next year after jason graduated. More than 10 mathces.

Matt Hasbrook vs. Nick Hardwick (Lawrence North)

Brandon Wright vs. Camden Eppert (Anderson Highland) - I think they are 3 - 3 now against each other 

Brian Funk vs. Jon McClain (Western Boone) - Connersville, Regional, Semi-State x 2 years. 

A few Cathedral classic battles:

Lance Ellis vs. Paul Sullivan (Beech Grove) - Sullivan inched closer every time almost upending Lance at tech his senior year. I think it was 7 matches.

Jason Terry vs. Marlin Stewart (Brebeuf) - Marlin only won once, but it was always a battle from sectional on I believe for 2 years. Stewart won it the next year after jason graduated. More than 10 mathces.

Matt Hasbrook vs. Nick Hardwick (Lawrence North)

Brandon Wright vs. Camden Eppert (Anderson Highland) - I think they are 3 - 3 now against each other   

Brian Funk vs. Jon McClain (Western Boone) - Connersville, Regional, Semi-State x 2 years. 

I think Terry and Stewart both graduated in '92.  Terry won at 103 that year and Stewart won at 112.

How about Robert Rosbottom vs. Steve Minton in '99.  Minton had like 8 losses and Rosbottom accounted for all but one of these losses I think, the other was to Dan  Jankowski.  They battled all the way from sectionals to the finals at state.  The only blemish on Rosbottom's record that year was to Minton at regionals.  This loss allowed for the big Rosbottom-Jankowski showdown in the semi-state ticket round.  This is what made this series memorable for me.

How about Robert Rosbottom vs. Steve Minton in '99.  Minton had like 8 losses and Rosbottom accounted for all but one of these losses I think, the other was to Dan  Jankowski.  They battled all the way from sectionals to the finals at state.  The only blemish on Rosbottom's record that year was to Minton at regionals.  This loss allowed for the big Rosbottom-Jankowski showdown in the semi-state ticket round.  This is what made this series memorable for me.

actually mintons other lose was to my brother dustin pierson from perry meridian but it was at 152 after that lose Minton dropped down to 145

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.