small school one hit wonder.

rchs88

I don't know exactly how small Rochester is but thy had a fantastic heavy weight by the last name of Hummel I think.  I would say maybe in the early 90s.  I'm not sure but I think he won semistate 4 times.  He was tall and thin for a heavy weight but he wrestled like a 125 pounder.  Fast and strong.  I don't think he ever won state.  I could be incorrect.

Hummel was the prototype for the 215 pound class.  His last 2 years of HS he placed 2nd and 3rd at 275 while not weighing much over 200.  He lost both years to Andy Schneider of Mt. Vernon who weighed in 60-70 pounds heavier than Hummel.  I think that Hummel may have been a 4time State Qualifier, but not a 4 time SS champ.  I believe that he lost his freshman year at 189 to Tone of FW Dwenger who was a SS Champ.

Tim LaMar from Wabash High School.  State Champ at heavyweight....I think in 1998 or 1999.  He was the last State Champ to be crowned in Market Square Arena....correct me if I am wrong, but I think that he was the last one.

Tim was the lightest heavyweight at the state tournament that year.  Won in overtime.

Damon Hummel:  He was not a 4 time SS champ. His freshman year he got pinned at state on Friday night by Jason Tone from FW Dwenger, so he must've lost at Merrillville at semi-state,  because Jason Stewart from LN was the winner in his bracket at state.  His 2nd year he got beat at semi-state by Todd Wieczorek from SB Rileybut did make it to the finals at state and got beat 5-4 by Derrick Robinson from LN.  My wife got the state book marked  "BOO-STALLING" by the final score of that match.  Robinson had cut to 189 from heavyweight in 1991.  Hummel's Junior year he won SS but got beat 11-7 by Schneider at Heavyweight.  His Senior year he won SS, but got beat in the state finals 8-4, again by Schneider.  However, he was the most exciting wrestler that I have seen.  I just wish that they would've had a 215 pound class his last 2 years.

Hammer,  Hummel couldn't have lost to someone from Dwenger @ Semi-state. Rochester is@ Merrillville. I do think he was a 4x SS champ. Help us out TAE .

If Rochester is at Merrillville, then he could have wrestled Tone.  Fort Wayne Bishop Dwenger goes to the Fort Wayne semi-state.

Batesville high school has only 1 state placer... Mike Daley... state champ 91-92

you are correct on the year mike daily placed in 93 we have had a few people go to state. Dave daily, Wayne Gibbs  and a few others cant think of them off the top of my head

and we had ton of people choke in the to go round of semi state ranked in the state

Lets hear from those small schools that has had that one wrestler that stood out.  Who is your best wrestler of all time.  I'll start it out.  Rensselaer in my opinion has to be Mike Moon.  wrestled in mid to late 80's was a state qualifier  He always ran into kid from merrillville but can't remember his name, he just couldn't beat him but was always so close.

Ryan Kaufman placed 5th a couple years ago (160) for Rensselaer and James Oliver was 6th in 97 (145) so I think that these two should be mentioned ahead of Moon.  Kaufman's only losses that year were to the 2nd and 3rd place finishers at State.  Also, Tom Flemming never qualified for state but he would have to be given some consideration as one of the best ever from Rensselaer.  I still cannot believe he was beaten his senior year in the ticket round at Merrillville. 

Of these three I think Flemming was better as he was solid on his feet or on the mat.  Kaufman was good on his feet but absolutly punishing when on top throwing in the legs and working his power half.  Oliver was very good on his feet and above average on the mat.

Moon was good, no doubt about it.  But Kaufman and Oliver won over 40 matches their senior years wrestling a tougher schedule.

Lets hear from those small schools that has had that one wrestler that stood out.  Who is your best wrestler of all time.  I'll start it out.  Rensselaer in my opinion has to be Mike Moon.  wrestled in mid to late 80's was a state qualifier  He always ran into kid from merrillville but can't remember his name, he just couldn't beat him but was always so close.

Ryan Kaufman placed 5th a couple years ago (160) for Rensselaer and James Oliver was 6th in 97 (145) so I think that these two should be mentioned ahead of Moon.  Kaufman's only losses that year were to the 2nd and 3rd place finishers at State.  Also, Tom Flemming never qualified for state but he would have to be given some consideration as one of the best ever from Rensselaer.  I still cannot believe he was beaten his senior year in the ticket round at Merrillville. 

Of these three I think Flemming was better as he was solid on his feet or on the mat.  Kaufman was good on his feet but absolutly punishing when on top throwing in the legs and working his power half.  Oliver was very good on his feet and above average on the mat.

Moon was good, no doubt about it.  But Kaufman and Oliver won over 40 matches their senior years wrestling a tougher schedule.

There was a kid named Baker ? from Yorktown who won the state -he was about 5'4'at 145 -beat the hell out of some stud .

I would have gone with Benji Reichel except back then Northwest had a really good program-I worked with Benji for a long time and became friends with his family -his brother was a state freestyle champ-Brian -he wrestled at Shortridge his Senior year and was city champion-25 -30 years ago Northwest could hang with any school at any sport -they had a 155 lber named Ragland back then and then Young in the 80-s was a top  145 lber in the state .

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.