small school one hit wonder.

rchs88

Lets hear from those small schools that has had that one wrestler that stood out.  Who is your best wrestler of all time.  I'll start it out.  Rensselaer in my opinion has to be Mike Moon.  wrestled in mid to late 80's was a state qualifier  He always ran into kid from merrillville but can't remember his name, he just couldn't beat him but was always so close.

I don't think moon got knocked out at Regionals.  I don't know for a fact in his younger years.  But senior yr. I think he lost to the kid from Merr. 3 or 4 times.  I think he lost to him his jr year.  I really wish I could remember the kids name though.  He was Rensselaers first state qualifier I believe.  Unfortunately he didn't get to wrestle in MSA because of weather had the state meet in New Castle.  That had to be a bummer for the wrestlers.

Then it must have been every year but his senior year he got eliminated.  Remember, that's back when only the top two advanced out of regionals.

I just remember Moon would have either an undefeated or one loss record and lose first round (prior to his senior season).

You could be right.  I'm going to have to find out though.  It's killing me not being able to remember.  Since your around my age do you remember the kid from Winamac I think Miles something. I think he's one of the first wrestlers to come out of Winamac and make some noise.

insan I have done my investigating.  The guy from Merr. was Tom Magera he beat Moon his Jr year in Semis of Regional so he was done. Sr. year he beat Moon in Finals of Reg. and Semi State.  Your right, back then the luck of the draw kept a lot of good wrestlers home that 3rd weekend of the tourney.

What weight did the Miles kid from Winamac wrestle?

And you're correct:  taking only the top two from regionals eliminated a good number of capable wrestlers because of not taking 4 placers.

But you have to admit it did make Merrillville functional as a semistate site with regards to seating.

I think he was around 140. He had a younger brother that was pretty good at Chesterton.

And I will admit that your right about it being less capable now.  I haven't been there for many years and know that the size and poplularity has grown quite a bit.

Turkey Run has had a couple talened wrestles starting with Ryan Pribble (02 8th, 03 140 State Champ), Kevin Fulton (02 5th 152), Jeremy Swaim (96 152 SQ), Davey Walters (99 SQ),  Tyler Shannon (SQ), Dan Cory (2x SQ), Jacob Green (01-03) was a very tough wrestler lost match to go for 3 years. Turkey Run's 2002-2003 team was probably one of the strongest small school teams .  Only lost 2 duals all year and won the 16 team Twin Lakes tournament.

You could be right.  I'm going to have to find out though.  It's killing me not being able to remember.  Since your around my age do you remember the kid from Winamac I think Miles something. I think he's one of the first wrestlers to come out of Winamac and make some noise.

Miles Neilson was a STATE CHAMP and was originally from Chesterton.

I don't know exactly how small Rochester is but thy had a fantastic heavy weight by the last name of Hummel I think.  I would say maybe in the early 90s.  I'm not sure but I think he won semistate 4 times.  He was tall and thin for a heavy weight but he wrestled like a 125 pounder.  Fast and strong.  I don't think he ever won state.  I could be incorrect.

The kid from Winamac was MIles Nielson, hw was a state q in 85 and then in 86 he went coast to coast and won the Most Valuable Wrestler award as he pinned out. However before him Winamac had another SQ in Kerry Ward 177 early 80s

Adams Central may be on top but Winamac is not far behind ;D

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.