connersville

bandit1990

Ahh, the Connersville discussion. Yes.

Cathedral loves competing at Connersville in the Spartan Bowl. Despite what anyone thinks, Connersville is arguably the 3rd toughest tournament in the state annually after Calumet's Traicoff, and the Al Smith. In the 80s and 90s, the teams at Connersville might have been a little deeper, but there is no debating that when you assemble 32 teams in one gym, the cream rises to the top and nothing is easy. Are there teams as deep as Cathedral there? Certainly. Evansville Reitz proved that last year. Every year there is a contender other than Cathedral.

As to Cathedral bowing out for tougher competition at the North Montgomery Duals, probably not. Cathedral will wrestle or has wrestled 50% of those teams already this year: Highland, Warren, and North Mont we beat handily. We have Perry Meridian upcoming in an individual dual. So, Connersville affords us the chance to meet the Ethan Raley's of the world that we would not see until Conseco and gives us a different sampling of the state competition.

Plus, Connersville gets us city slickers to the train capital of Indiana, lets us experience the best dive bar in Indiana (Mousie's), and the baked potato bar from heaven at one of the last Rax fast food restaurants in all of America.

With Cathedral's annual football run, it takes until around Connersville for the team to really get in shape and let the weights work themselves out for the State Tournament Series. Will we see some further weight swapping of Cathedral's lineup? Hmmm, we will have to wait and see. In the meantime, bring on Eastern Indiana for 2 great days of wrestling.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I could just be a fluke but every year Batesville gets getter after wrestling at connersville. when I say better i mean they beat kids at and after connersville that they could beat before. I see this from other teams too. Connersville is also good at letting a wrestler know where they stand in the state. just about every weight class has at least one state placer every year and most years has at least one wrestle under the lights... that could be every year. as far as dodging is consern how one of tri's best wrestlers not wrestle Batesville's best wrestler when him jumping up hurt the team imo.it's one thing when you make jumps and the team win because of it... it's another thing when a wrestler jumps and it doesn't help the team.

Class A  (296-746)

Batesville

Centerville

Eastern Hancock

Hagerstown

Hamilton Heights

Indian Creek

Lawrenceburg

Milan

Northeastern

Talawanda

Triton Central

Union county

Class AA  (814-1366)

Broad Ripple

Cathedral

Connersville

DeKalb

Franklin County

Greenfield-Central

Mt. Vernon (Posey)

Pendleton Heights

Roncalli

South Dearborn

Western

Class AAA  (1427-3311)

Bedford North Lawrence

Evansville North

Evansville Reitz

Ft. Wayne Northside

Ft. Wayne Snider

North Central

Richmond

Why not have the schools evenly split? Possibily into four divisions?  I didn't realize they weren't even. Seeding the top 8 individuals only makes

sense.

I agree they need to atleast get all the state placers, state qualifires, SS qualifires and past connersville placers seperated as best as possable. this will help have an honest team score. That way you don't have wrestlers who looses to 2 of the top 3 guys there and not even place. just about every year that happens once. also just abouyt every year there's a weight class where 2nd and 6th are on one side of the bracket and the other 6 placers are on the other side. I think that happened in the 130 pound weight class last year

Last year was the first year I had been to this tournament. I thought it was great. I know my kids were much better after they wrestled in this tournament.  They had seen some great wrestling and met alot of great people. I loved the trip, made the holiday season more exciting.

Connesrville should have the best wrestling quality in the state as far as this weekend goes.  So the question really is are you better served to go to a Super Six dual or 8-team dual tournmanet or staying at Connersville?  I think it really depends on the state of your program.  If you got alot of youth on your squad, you maybe better off trying to get as many guaranteed matches as you can.  What I mean by youth isn't necessarily young or underclassmen, but experienced or seasoned.  What real good does it do for a team when most are double-dipping?  You should always look to challenge your team.  But for alot teams, Connersville is "biting off more than what they can chew."

Connesrville should have the best wrestling quality in the state as far as this weekend goes.  So the question really is are you better served to go to a Super Six dual or 8-team dual tournmanet or staying at Connersville?  I think it really depends on the state of your program.  If you got alot of youth on your squad, you maybe better off trying to get as many guaranteed matches as you can.  What I mean by youth isn't necessarily young or underclassmen, but experienced or seasoned.  What real good does it do for a team when most are double-dipping?  You should always look to challenge your team.  But for alot teams, Connersville is "biting off more than what they can chew."

Mishawaka?

Mishawaka?

Well 2nd best then, forgot about them.  Still doesn't change the argument though.

Mishawaka?

Well 2nd best then, forgot about them.  Still doesn't change the argument though.

wcs145 is correct if Connersville is this weekend. Mishawaka is next week.

ff

Alright, so it is a slow day in Indianapolis today and the weather sucks. Here is a breakdown of the ranked folk by IndianaMat's standards at the Spartan Classic. It is certainly Cathedral's tournament to lose, but our good friend Dave Cloud and the Arabians seem to have the most ranked outside of the Irish.

103 - Brian Kuhn (E. Reitz - #1), Cody Phillips (Union County - #6), Brian Harvey (Cathedral - #11), and Mason Todd (Pendleton Heights - #13)

112 - Josh Kieffer (Roncalli - #4), Blake Roytek (Cathedral - #13)

119 - Alex John (E. Reitz - #2), Ethan Raley (Indian Creek #4), Justin Kieffer (Roncalli - #8), Justin Eschelman (Pendleton Hts. - #15)

125 - Brandon Wright (Cathedral - #3), Blake Rueger (E. Reitz - #12)

130 - Johnny Grey (Cathedral - #5)

135 - Dominic Corsaro (Cathedral - #9)

140 - Tony McGinley (Cathedral - #2)

145 - Gavin McGinley (Cathedral - #3)

152 - Calvin Sullivan (Cathedral - #4), Nick Holt (Pendleton Hts. - #9)

160 - Mason Todd (Pendleton Hts. - #3), Tyler Willis (Cathedral - #12)

171 - Michael Duckworth (Union County - #1)

189 - Zach Garrity (Hamilton Heights - #11), Aaron Stevenson (Indian Creek - #9)

215 - Jake Buchanan (Cathedral - #16)

285 - Alex White (Mt. Vernon - #4)  not sure if this is Posey or Fortville, Ethan Cuevas (North Central - #13)

Connersville does look a bit down this year to some year's past. 119 looks to be a pretty brutal weight class. And, 103 doesn't look a heck of a lot easier. Cathedral has 10 ranked wreslters, Pendleton Heights has 4, and Evansville reitz has 3, but rankings don't mean much.

I had no data on Talawanda out of Ohio. They weren't incredibly strong last year, but you never know. I was also looking for a Shepard from Western. Are there really no Shepards on the Western squad this year? If so, it must be the first year in a couple decades. I also thought is was kind of depressing that there were only 4 ranked wrestlers coming out of the 7 "large" schools there (1427+ in population).

A good couple days of wrestling are in store and some folks from the smaller schools will no doubt make a name for themselves for the first time.

I don't know mush about Hamilton Hieghts but I do know that the bild draw could have an affect on the A championship pluss they only have one ranked wrestler so i don't know how good the rest are. But i predict Union county to have 2 champs and atleast 4 others place and maybe more if the blind draws go their way

"It is certainly Cathedral's tournament to lose, but our good friend Dave Cloud and the Arabians seem to have the most ranked outside of the Irish. "

I have to disagree but understand. It's Evansville Reitz's to lose by winning last year team tourney trophy. It will be tough for anyone to have a team effort like last year with four champions and seven in the finals. If anyone will it would be Cathedral. Cathedral looks impressive, but you never know with Connersville blind draw. It wouldn't be unrealistic for some other team to compete for the top spot. We heard there will be three championship rounds on day one this year? Is Cathedral going to be juggling their lineup? Rumors are there is going to be some weight class droppings. As always it looks to be another meat grinder.

"It is certainly Cathedral's tournament to lose, but our good friend Dave Cloud and the Arabians seem to have the most ranked outside of the Irish. "

I have to disagree but understand. It's Evansville Reitz's to lose by winning last year team tourney trophy. It will be tough for anyone to have a team effort like last year with four champions and seven in the finals. If anyone will it would be Cathedral. Cathedral looks impressive, but you never know with Connersville blind draw. It wouldn't be unrealistic for some other team to compete for the top spot. We heard there will be three championship rounds on day one this year? Is Cathedral going to be juggling their lineup? Rumors are there is going to be some weight class droppings. As always it looks to be another meat grinder.

yes there will be three championship rounds on day 1 because day 2 falls on New Years and they try to speed up the tournament. it does help. we had to do it once when i was in school and we were out by 630 on New Years.

I don't know mush about Hamilton Hieghts but I do know that the bild draw could have an affect on the A championship pluss they only have one ranked wrestler so i don't know how good the rest are. But i predict Union county to have 2 champs and atleast 4 others place and maybe more if the blind draws go their way

They might only have one ranked wrestler at this point but i saw hamilton heights wrestle a couple weekends ago at the western super six and they dominated with many of their wrestlers winning their weight class. Also i cant see why some of their kids arent ranked because they looked good out there even against some tough other wrestlers. They looked to be a solid team all-around.

Hamilton Heights lost 4 seniors last year in which 3 were starters. In the lineup this year, they have 11 out of 14 weight classes filled with seniors and they are good. This is to be a big year for HH. Currently, 13-2, only losing to PH who has a great team, and Portage 30-35. People to watch would be.... Jarrid Logan (119/125), Colin Bullock (135), Zach Bowers (140), AJ Miller (145), and a few others to boot. Later this year will add Matt Miller at 160 to make it even better. Go Heights!