Leg Riders

Regionrat1

I have been thinkin it is about time da rat give a little instruction on how to defend da legs. Dis is to save da shoulders of some of da less fortunate grapplers who don't have allot of coaching.

1) If da guy is a octopus on top don't take da bottom postion. Dis one is a no brainer. / play da takedown game if you are better on your feet

2) If he put you down like allot of guys tough on da top you better hit a move of da whistle. If your first move is da brace on all fours your in for a long to minutes. I have seen on some wraslin video site where a stand-up id down where da bottom guy shoots forward and away from da top man and hits a stand-up. Dis would work well/ maybe someone can locate da video

3) You can do a few things to help your cause

a) da key is not letting da top guy control your hips

B) Anticapate da leg going in and catch it and elevate

c) if he has both hooks in get to your but and try to seperate da hips / watch out for da cross face

d) one common way da legs get put in off da spiral rid. if he gets your hip down on da near side you start to bring da oppisite side leg is when he is looking tomthrow da hook in / catch it if you can elevate and turn

e) if you are in da crab get your hips higher dan da otter man/ you might be able to catch his head / maldonados boys do this

on dis videos is some good information http://www.championshipproductions.com/cgi-bin/champ/p/Wrestling/Mark-Ironside-Defending-Against-Leg-Riders_WRD-02566.html?id=Xa6FQn6d

help me out coaches !! Lets give the less fortunate a hand it almost x-mass

Mulekicking from the base if he tries to put legs in there helps.

If he goes for the oldschool crossbody, grabbing backwards at the hip and slinging him forward helps.

If he gets in a single leg, you can "swing the gate" with your whole body and come out the open side and into a leg of your own. The crossface into a picture frame on the head will probably be waiting, so you will have to tuck your head and fight through the crossface attempt.  The waist hook is also a good set up for swinging the gate if he climbs back up on top and vice versa if he rides through the "gate" attempt.

If someone tries to initiate a grapevine off of the leg hook for the 3/4, it could be a long day for the bottom man.  When the leg hook happens, start moving your body backwards until you can post the hooked leg with the sole of the shoe on the mat.  From there, push to your feet.  The top guy should be found totally out of position and not sure what to do.  If he is aware of what is going on, it's likely he will can the leg hooking altogether.

I also saw the match where the Moats kid from Tipton stuck Atwood in the Hoosier Conference championship match.  He didn't take it well, but he didn't exactly have a meltdown either.  I liked the way the kid bounced back and learned from that loss.  He ended the season like a man on a mission.  If I remember correctly, he clawed his way to a 4th place finish at State.  I look forward to a rematch between these two young men again at the conference tournament.  I do believe the results will be different this time.  But then again, I've been wrong before.

Marcus Schontube from Lowell is (was) a great leg wrestler. He was a two time state champion at 171 (1999 & 2000) and went on to wrestle at Penn. I also believe he was an all-state linebacker.

That dude was tough....Im pretty sure he could rip trees out of the ground with his bare hands...Roots and all!  :o

Oh yeah,  Schontube was killer .....  I remember us saying "poor soul" for kids that had to wrestle him ......  the worst one that sticks out in my mind was when Schontube got that kid from Mt. Carmel (Illinois) in a guillotine at the Times Braggin Rights meet.....  refs finally stopped it for being potentially dangerous (LOL) but the kid's shoulder was cooked ....   he had to injury default the rest of the match.   

Freddy Joseph was a beast with legs (top) too !

• 2 weeks later...

I saw Schontube a lot, and as a leg rider myself I have to say he was the best I've gotten to see in the past 18 years. I still have video of him and watch it sometimes, I know my kids will be watching that for training.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.