Bracket Limitations

AC Computer

Does anyone know if tournaments are restricted to using the brackets in the rule book?  I don't like the ones available for an 8-team individual tournament.  Your best wrestlers only get three matches on the day and your weakest wrestlers, who may need the experience more, are 2 losses and out.  So I designed my own bracket.  Basically, I split the two halves of a regular 8 man bracket into two pools.  Seeded wrestlers stay in the same palce as the normal bracket so the top 2 seeds are in different pools.  The first three rounds are round-robin within your pool.  Then, I place the top two in each pool in the championship bracket and the bottom two of each pool in a consolation bracket (#1 in pool A meets #2 in pool B and vice versa) and let them wrestle two more rounds to determine placements.  Now, I'm finishing up software to run the bracket.

Advantages of this bracket:  Everyone gets 5 matches, but its still an individual tournament rather than team duals.  This gives schools a alternative to the super dual formats.

Disadvantages:  I couldn't find this bracket anywhere in existing software, so I had to decide scoring and tie-breaker rules for the pools.  I'm building the final brackets manually after the third round because I didn't want to program all of the tie-breaker criteria.  I also place any forfeits automatically starting with the lowest seed and progressing upward.  This guarantees the brackets will be balanced, but it always places forfeits in the bracket with the #1 seed first.

I'd like to try this bracket for our invitational, but one of our assistant coaches asked if it needed to be approved by the IHSAA before we use it.  Anyone know if I need to contact Bobby Cox?

I think they scored everything like a dual meet as far as points, but not sure.  I know I remember seeing EXTREMELY high team scores. 

Of course its YOUR tournament so you can so what you want with it as far as scoring.  Such as, if you are from AC you get double points for winning :)

Does anyone know if tournaments are restricted to using the brackets in the rule book?  I don't like the ones available for an 8-team individual tournament.  Your best wrestlers only get three matches on the day and your weakest wrestlers, who may need the experience more, are 2 losses and out.  So I designed my own bracket.  Basically, I split the two halves of a regular 8 man bracket into two pools.  Seeded wrestlers stay in the same palce as the normal bracket so the top 2 seeds are in different pools.  The first three rounds are round-robin within your pool.  Then, I place the top two in each pool in the championship bracket and the bottom two of each pool in a consolation bracket (#1 in pool A meets #2 in pool B and vice versa) and let them wrestle two more rounds to determine placements.  Now, I'm finishing up software to run the bracket.

Advantages of this bracket:  Everyone gets 5 matches, but its still an individual tournament rather than team duals.  This gives schools a alternative to the super dual formats.

Disadvantages:  I couldn't find this bracket anywhere in existing software, so I had to decide scoring and tie-breaker rules for the pools.  I'm building the final brackets manually after the third round because I didn't want to program all of the tie-breaker criteria.  I also place any forfeits automatically starting with the lowest seed and progressing upward.  This guarantees the brackets will be balanced, but it always places forfeits in the bracket with the #1 seed first.

I'd like to try this bracket for our invitational, but one of our assistant coaches asked if it needed to be approved by the IHSAA before we use it.  Anyone know if I need to contact Bobby Cox?

That sounds like a great idea to get more matches. The only thing I would maybe do different is not place the forfeits automatically with the lowest seed and work upward. What if one of the #1 seeds is one match away from breaking the most pins in a row record for the state or for his school? A forfeit breaks the streak.

I'll admit I did it that way just because it's easier to program.  Of course, the forfeits would be the worst wrestlers in the weight class sine they never win.  But you can't just place the forfeits randomly either.  Otherwise you could have 2 forfeits in one pool and none in the other.  If they both fall in the pool with the top seed, the fifth best wrestler would lose the chance to challenge number 4 to see who goes to the championship bracket.  There's no way of guaranteeing the wrestler needing one more pin won't raw the orfeit first anyway.  Since its round-robin, you could always wrestle the round where that wrestler has a forfeit last in that weight class.  The first three rouds don't have to be wrestled in any particular order like in a regular bracket (other than to avoid confusing fans, coaches, and wrestlers).

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.