What is the definition of a tough wrestler

ontherise219

I would define semistate as solid wrestler not avg.  Semistate kids usually have under 10 losses and you'll see a decent portion of those ranked kids lose there.  I would think during the season a ranked kid would be considered pretty tuff,  and how often does the kid thats ranked #1 that everyone is so positive is going to win actually win.  If that was the case there would be no pick the champions at state.

All wrestlers are tough

Wrestlers that don't quit are tough!

Agreed...all wrestlers are tough (you've got to be to survive in this sport).  There are tough kids who don't make it out of regionals.  That's what makes wrestling so exciting...ANYTHING can happen, all it takes is one small misstep.

Definition of a tough wrestler?

Someone that walks into the room each week, win or lose with the intent of becomming a better wrestler. The kid that no matter how he measures success, either by winning the big tourney, or just making it out of the 1st period, comes in and works their tail off trying to become better.

Definition of a tough wrestler?

Someone that walks into the room each week, win or lose with the intent of becomming a better wrestler. The kid that no matter how he measures success, either by winning the big tourney, or just making it out of the 1st period, comes in and works their tail off trying to become better.

I would agree, all you can ask of anyone either in wrestling or not, is to work hard, and to try and become better.

The kids that give you the most joy would have to be that kid that never wins, comes in and works his butt off for you and never complains about it. And then to see them reach a goal whatever it is has got to be the best feeling in the world. The best wrestler with a horrible attitude is just that, but a bad wrestler with a great outlook on life is so much more then they realize. I saw a kid a couple of weeks ago at the JV meet in Beech Grove. This kid due to physical defects has virtually no chance of being a great wrestler, but watching him step out on the mat and going at it as hard as he did was the most inspiring thing thing I saw all day long. While he may never be a great wrestler, he is without a doubt, a great person, and I made sure to tell all the kids on our team to make sure they watched him that day, and any time they felt like giving in, or thiinking something was to hard, to think about this kid, what he goes through just to get on the mat and then decide if quitting is an option.

It can be easy to put a title on a kid as tough just because he makes it to state, semi-state, etc....the great thing about wrestling is that I bet every coach on this board could name you 10 kids without thinking who he thought of as tough that never made it out of sectionals through state champions.  So many ways to think about "tough".  Good thread!

My Definition of "Tough"?

The kid who shows up each and every day...Never appears in the varsity line up, maybe gets J.V. mat time, but is ALWAYS there and working.

The one key componet of "Tough" is CHARACTER...For my moeny it is much easier to show up if your reaping the common rewards.

To show up each and everyday and never receive the spotlight...Now that is One Tough Kid.

Several years ago I coached a kid that went something like 0-70 over two seasons. He did not win a single match those two years. He also never got pinned. The kid tried real hard but just did not have any natural ability on the wrestling mat. His last match he ever wrestled was in the sectional first round against  a guy that was either undefeated or only had lost only one match all year. The guy he  wrestled went on the place 3rd in the state that year. My wrestler had lost to this guy two times during the regular season by either major decision or tech fall. I don't remember all the details of the match but my guy hit a 5 point throw and held the guy on his back most of the first period. My wrestler lost the match by a score of something like 8-7 or 9-8. He never won a match in high school. He was a tough wrestler. He never gave up in a match and always believed in himself.

Several years ago I coached a kid that went something like 0-70 over two seasons. He did not win a single match those two years. He also never got pinned. The kid tried real hard but just did not have any natural ability on the wrestling mat. His last match he ever wrestled was in the sectional first round against  a guy that was either undefeated or only had lost only one match all year. The guy he  wrestled went on the place 3rd in the state that year. My wrestler had lost to this guy two times during the regular season by either major decision or tech fall. I don't remember all the details of the match but my guy hit a 5 point throw and held the guy on his back most of the first period. My wrestler lost the match by a score of something like 8-7 or 9-8. He never won a match in high school. He was a tough wrestler. He never gave up in a match and always believed in himself.

That is Tough, I hit yo with a Wahoo for that

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.