How would you rate your local newspaper's wrestling coverage?

AJ

I totally hear ya, Drewboy.

If they would just let Tim report and not cut his stories down, the paper would be great.

I like Creason's work as well.  At meets I see him cover, he seems to have a nose for what the big or interesting story is.  Guess that is part of what makes a good reporter.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This topic seems to come up every year.

There seems to be so many people that get upset about basketball getting more coverage, blah blah blah

Secret: Newspapers are in the business of selling papers!!  There is not that large of an audience for high school wrestling.

I'm sure they have people doing research on what people want to read about, and what will ultimately sell more papers, and in turn get more advertising dollars.

In terms of HOW they cover the sport, Its a little unreasonable to think that the writers should all be experts on the sport, I think we should be happy with what is written.

All that said, my paper, the Hammond Times does a terrific job. Keep it up Waddle!!!

Here is a copy of what the Indy Star has for a lead in to the Marion, and Johnson county and city tournaments that are going on this weekend. Not to complain, atleast they put the times in there.

Wrestling

Third-ranked Perry Meridian has 10 wrestlers seeded either first or second in this weekend's Marion County wrestling tournament, so the host Falcons look like the team to beat. But they should get plenty of competition from No. 8 Lawrence North and No. 17 Roncalli.

Wrestling begins at 6 p.m. Friday and 9 a.m. Saturday.

The Johnson County Tournament for wrestling begins at 8 a.m. Saturday at Indian Creek. The Johnson County Tournament uses a team round-robin format. Franklin has won 12 of the past 13 titles, but the Grizzly Cubs have an inexperienced team this year and No. 19 Center Grove looks like the team to beat.

The City Tournament, won by Cathedral the past eight seasons, is at 9 a.m. Saturday at Howe. The Irish have 11 returning lettermen from last season.

I think th school's A.D. should be the one calling in the scores. I think they should be more involved like they do the other sports.

That would require them to care about a sport that does not use either pointy, or bouncy balls. I know at our school, that is the case. Wrestling is something that they put up with, not something to be taken seriously, and certainly nothing to take any time with trying to support.

The Journal & Courier in Lafayette is really not to bad, but is still very lacking in the knowledge department. I think the key is to get some smart well coached wrestlers in the news rooms all together. Newspapers are one thing but how many local news stations actually cover,  even bigger events?

I think th school's A.D. should be the one calling in the scores. I think they should be more involved like they do the other sports.

That would require them to care about a sport that does not use either pointy, or bouncy balls. I know at our school, that is the case. Wrestling is something that they put up with, not something to be taken seriously, and certainly nothing to take any time with trying to support.

I really think they are the ones to make this sport get reach out there to more of the public/fans. just my opinion

I really think they are the ones to make this sport get reach out there to more of the public/fans. just my opinion

No question they are an integral part of getting the support that is needed. I see it in schools that have great programs, there is a level of support from the school staff that is missing from alot of schools.

I get the Times (Hammond).  They had a decent article about the CP_Merrillville meet, but butchered the acutal scores of the individual matches.  They had Halsted getting teched 6-2, when in fact he got pinned, they had Hawkins winning by tech 10-5, when it was actually 20-5 ,they had Roach winning by tech 8-2, when it was 18-2.  They had Jones (145) teching Bruno, when in fact Jones beat Renn 5-3. This might not be all the reporter's fault though, since Bruno was announced when the teams were introduced.  I saw the Post Tribune's arfticles and they were better than The Times.  The Times does have the individual matches in the dual meets most of the time, which we can be thankful for.

The Evansville Scurrier and Suppress Cover Wrestling? 

If they can fit it in after the 300 articles on U.K. Basketball (WE LIVE IN INDIANA YOU TWITS!) and the always rivetting Intermural Team Underwater Ping Pong scores from U. of E.

I am sure there are a lot of U.K. fans around here, but let them drive to Henderson and read about U.K. in the Henderson Gleener!  Let's use that valuable space in an Indiana paper to actually cover a REAL atheletic competition for once!

The only writter on the Suppress staff I know of that has covered wrestling at all is David Jackson, and he does a pretty fair job when he can sneak a story passed his editors.

Well I just looked at this mornings Evansville paper and with all the schools in the area wrestling in a tourney somewhere, there was NOTHING!! While having stories about football in CA, this is awful!! I cannot believe the coverage this sport gets!!!! :-[

We will get 2 or 3 articals each wrestling season between our 2 local High Schools. If the coaches do not send meet information in it does not get ink in the paper.

Elementary Basketball Tournament, front page

HS Girls Basketball, front page

Home Varsity Wrestling Tournament, scoreboard section

Home JV Wrestling Tournament (at 2nd HS), scoreboard section

I was on my way to school the other day, when for the first time ever, I heard wrestling scores on the radio!  They included team and individual results.  I nearly got in a wreck from disbelief.  I think it was a Kalamazoo station, but they were announcing northern indiana scores.  Maybe coaches should start emailing results to local radio stations as well.

The Murky one, the one and only mad dog was on the loose at Carroll yesterday.  He has always done a great job covering Dekalb county schools.

pretty lame dis sunday here in NW indiana times/ i reaally tink dat dare is a shortage of paper and ink

yeah, how bout it rat.  today's paper had a story about m-ville at an illinoiis tourn (rich east).  so basically they covered one area team. 

meanwhile, yesterday had the munster duals, and the carnahan tourn. at crown point.  you would think that they would cover the indian teams.  it's cool and all that m-ville won a tourn. in illinois, but come on!!!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.