How would you rate your local newspaper's wrestling coverage?

AJ

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Indy Star will run an article once in a great while, only for a large tournament, but otherwise not to good. They will never print the individule scores, only the team resuts of a meet. There online edition has a few more, but you have to know what you are looking for to find it.

Our local paper will print anything I want them to print, but I have to send it in and my wife takes the pictures.  I guess it's a good setup, but I really could make the article say whatever I want and it would be printed.  For all our town is concerned, tomorrow's sports section could talk about we beat Mishawaka and Cathedral 84-0 and very few would know what that means. ;D

When the Star Press does actually run something it seems to have so little information they might as well not run it.

That, or, for example, last year at the Delaware County meet.

Yorktown has 13 out of 14 champions, a phenomenal feat.  What was their report all about?  Steve Gonzales cutting weight... an issue that is nobody's business but his, his coach's, and his parents'. 

This is my first year in the area, and with several good programs in the area I really expected more. Do we need to get high school journalism kids to write stories and submit them? I know they accept that for their Yorktown Edition, it might be worth asking.

I have started a blog on the startpress website about ECI Wrestling.  Who knows, maybe a writer will see it and decide to do an article about wrestling.

Good luck.

Saturday, they didn't even put my resluts in when I called them in.

Like I said before, somewhere between absolutely sucks and completely worthless.

The Evansville Courier has done a decent job this year, so far.  Writer David Jackson has had three or four articles leading up to and following the MD/Castle match-up.

The smaller local papers will print anything you send them, usually.

Creason of the South Bend Tribune does a great job.  Too bad the Tribune consistently revolves around that subpar college football team/university from South Bend.      I'll always be biased since I opened the Tribune Sports Section after the '02 (I think) State Finals and they had an article for a ND Women's BB game (reg season at that) front and center instead of a write up on Pat Day's Individual Championship.  And not even that it was Day....any wrestler from the Tribune area deserves better on such an accomplishment.   

Steve Ford did a good job if you were at Mater Dei!!

If you did not go there then you were not even mentioned!!!

David Jackson has done a great job so far, at least he's including every school and decent articles!!!!

David Jackson has done a great job so far, at least he's including every school and decent articles!!!!

Is this the same David Jackson that wrote for the Courier back in the early 90's?  If so, he did some good stuff back then.  We should expect more coverage if it is the same guy.

I will concur that he wrote a lot for MD, but Reitz definitley got their fair share of coverage from him...He did some great write-ups on my little bro, so I'm a little biased.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.