Reinoehl of Mishawaka

drewboy78

The situation you describe sounds very similar to the Wesley English situation.  He became emancipated and was all set to wrestle at Crown Point before he decided that he changed his mind and wanted to go back to Merrillville.  Crown Point wouldn't release him so he had to sit out.  If he would have just stayed at CP it would have worked fine.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The situation you describe sounds very similar to the Wesley English situation.  He became emancipated and was all set to wrestle at Crown Point before he decided that he changed his mind and wanted to go back to Merrillville.  Crown Point wouldn't release him so he had to sit out.  If he would have just stayed at CP it would have worked fine.

are you sure that is how it happened?  i seem to remember m'ville's ad contesting the move and english was not allowed to wrestle for cp.

admittedly, it was a few years ago, and i might have missed something.  can someone shed some light on this?

Too All Wrestling Coaches and Parents

We really need to be honest with ourselves !! Thera is a great deal of unethical behavior taking place all over in sports. I could expose a half a dozen in the progam I just left for family,acedemic and athletic reasons. They all play a part in our decision to change communities. Yes I was angry at the community I came from and still fight that human emotion to strike back. I always come back to the same conclusion. IT WOULD ONLY HURT THE KIDS   MOST OF ALL. They are not to blame. My oldest son once told me(HE IS GRADUATED NOW) if the adults would just "grow up" and behave like they are suppose to we would not have many of these problems. The adults and that includes the behavior of coaches and parents needs to change. This kid and other kids are being made to suffer. For What ??? The almighty WIN or a STATE Championship. The whole truth is not out here. I feel bad for the Kid. That is my point. And I am speaking to the adults that had a part in letting this happen . The IHSAA is  as much at fault as anyone. Did they think about what this would do to the kid. Hell NO ! they are just trying to save face.   Hang in there young Reinoehl !!!! It will all work out.

Pin2Win I definately agree with you....This goes further than sport...This was going to be Trents breakout season...he lost to Roach last year by 1 or 2 in the round to go and he was constantly building off of that looking to win a title this year...But getting that title meant more to him than just sport...it was his way to a good education and a good degree...Now his parents are most likely going to have to pay for his schooling instead of him picking up a scholarship this year like I KNOW he would've.

Let's be honest, wrestling doesn't pay for too many people's education.  Even if he does win a state title this year, he is still going to have to pay for a college education.  Next, I've been in education a long time and I don't recall any good kids who have had problems with the administration. 

I just think it's funny that everyone points the finger at EMD every year for recruiting but when another school gets caught breaking the rules, people want to claim "let the kid wrestle" or "people need to mind their own business." 

I just think it's funny that everyone points the finger at EMD every year for recruiting but when another school gets caught breaking the rules, people want to claim "let the kid wrestle" or "people need to mind their own business." 

I was waiting for this to be brought up.

Two things here and I am off:

1) Wrestling can be a great way for a kid to get help with his education, financial as well as acedemic. True story, I just ran into an inner city Indiana kid who went JC and wrestled with assistance for two years. He did well in school and wrestling. He is now being offered 2 more years from another 4 year college to finish his education and wrestle. This kid will end up with a good education and all because of wrestling. My guess is he would be working at a dead end job if this opportunity had not come through wrestling. If you have been in education a long time please.... make yourself more aware.

2) The Catholic School do have an advantage that is why some of this public school shifting takes place. Get over it !!!  I am catholic and my kids attend public schools and I can afford catholic schools. I choose not to because in the end it is about education and I chose to save the money for college. The catholics need to stop denying that they have an advantage. I could sight many examples were public school kids ended up at private catholic schools and got financial assistance. No names !!

It is just the way it is so lets move on and "work hard" and wrestle. 

Weird because wrestling paid for my schooling at a major university....and Ian Hintons...and Alex Dolly....and most recently Josh Harper and Steve Sandefer.....

Good for you guys.  My point was simply that with only 9.? scholarships to hand out at the DI level, most college wrestlers have to find other ways to help pay for their schooling whether it be need based aid, academic scholarships, student loans or mom and dad.

Oscar, does this help my awareness level or should I keep working on it?

i could not even count the number of times ive said the bs word out loud the last 10 minutes since reading the article. im shocked hes handling it so well, if it were me id be calling or sending letters to the ihsaa everyday. id also see if i could get the "package" sent to police to bust someone for stalking and all that.  And whether its for athletics or not isnt thins supposed to be a free country? This whole thing upsets the heck outta me, and i could care less about mishawaka(i actually hate them cuz they knocked us out of the state tournament for football last year) but this ruling by the ihsaa is...a bunch of words i shouldnt say in public

[quote I just think it's funny that everyone points the finger at EMD every year for recruiting but when another school gets caught breaking the rules, people want to claim "let the kid wrestle" or "people need to mind their own business." 

thats because no one has actually gone out of their way to photograph peoples homes just because of high school athletics, and if emd did recruit they wouldnt get busted for it because theyre a catholic school so they wouldnt get investigated anyway. Not saying the recruit and i wouldnt care if they did but just saying

And whether its for athletics or not isnt thins supposed to be a free country? This whole thing upsets the heck outta me, and i could care less about mishawaka(i actually hate them cuz they knocked us out of the state tournament for football last year) but this ruling by the ihsaa is...a bunch of words i shouldnt say in public

Yes, it is a free country.  However it is a free country with rules and regulations.  It may stink, but IF a proper investigation was conducted and the family was found to violate the rule, then there are, and should be, consequences. 

I guess I'd just like to understand the "let him wrestle" people's point of view.  Are you saying he didn't break any rules?  Are you saying the rules should be disregarded because someone violated his privacy, or because he is a senior, or because he could have gotten a scholarship? Are you saying there shouldn't be any rules?  Or do you feel you have more facts available than the family was able to present to the IHSAA? Do you think they were incorrect in their decision?  Could they have been biased or "bought out"?

I see a lot of "let him wrestle" but I'm curious why you feel that way.  I am really only looking for non-emotional, fact-based answers.  We all feel bad for the kid, but that should not sway the independent decision-making process, should it?

Also, do you always beleive 100% of what you read in the paper?

Weird because wrestling paid for my schooling at a major university....and Ian Hintons...and Alex Dolly....and most recently Josh Harper and Steve Sandefer.....

Good for you guys.  My point was simply that with only 9.? scholarships to hand out at the DI level, most college wrestlers have to find other ways to help pay for their schooling whether it be need based aid, academic scholarships, student loans or mom and dad.

Oscar, does this help my awareness level or should I keep working on it?

Sorry to offend you SB25. What I would like to see happen  is the cheating stop, because in the end only the kids get hurt. Wrestling is a great sport and can be used as a tool to help kids. Year in and year out I see kids get trashed by unethical behavior on the part of coaches and parents. It is just too involved to discuss here. They got caught cheating no doubt about that, but I am more interested in the root cause and how to stop the behavior. You are right to put education at the forefront. I believe the two can go hand in hand. Wrestling simply opens up opportunites to education as I sighted in my example. The EMD thing is not a slam on EMD it is just true they have an advantage in sports when it comes to drawing kids to particpate. This preciptates some of the cheating and I do not agree with it. I like to play hard , fair and square and by the rules. I believe that EMD does that and others should accept things and stop rationalizing cheating. I hope this helps explain my position. 

Just so you know Division I accounts for less than half of the approximately  220      four year colleges or university that offer collegiate wrestling. This does not include Junior Colleges.  GO EMD !!!!!!!

Well I am glad haper doused that one... doesn't surprise me.... guess it takes a mishawaka guy to bring class to penn.... seems to be what it takes for them to have good wrestling programs ;-) wilk, harper.... who will be next great talent they take from Mishawaka? Josh Harper or maybe someone we have yet to see?

By the worst i mean what happened back in 97 (i think it was 97) though... where some students kinda got into it after the match in the commons.

The "where is Trent came from the student section" and it was very uncomfortable.  Trent came unglued and stood at the corner of the mat with his hands outstretched and said "I'm right here."  Snyder pushed him off the mat.  He did not handle it well at all.  Looked like he was wiping tears from his eyes. Had to be tough for him, but in Penn's defense, their chants were in response to the Mishawaka students chanting "where is Alex", referring to a wrestler who was sick tonight,  and their continued booing of Stevens (who ended up pinning his guy).  Stevens showed some real grit being able to take all of the negativity that was hurled at him tonight.  He did it with class, too.   It really doesn't matter who started the chants, though, it was pretty crass on both sides.  

guess it takes a mishawaka guy to bring class to penn.... seems to be what it takes for them to have good wrestling programs ;-) wilk, harper.... who will be next great talent they take from Mishawaka? Josh Harper or maybe someone we have yet to see?

Much like Mishawaka needs talented Penn wrestlers to transfer to their school.