103, to have or not have?

NickS

I'm not trying to bash the heavier guys but don't most people ( not everyone) but most leave during the HWT. matches?  I stay till the end,  because I you never know what can happen

Don't they leave because they have been sitting all day and want to get home rather then because they are HWTs?  During dual meets I don't notice longer lines at the concessions or bathrooms during HWT matches when the start is random.

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some of the most talented wrestlers in the state are at 103's lets face it they are not football players, they are wrestlers and thats all they do.  My son will most likely be there, and i can't see anyone trying to do away with the class.  Someday they will be outstanding college 125's or even higher.  All I can say is quit knocking it and start promoting it.

Mr. Right,  That is not a fair comparison that you are making.  145 lber wrestling a 189 lber is not the same as a 230 lber wrestling a 275 lber.  The majority of heavy weights that actually weigh 270 - 280 could stand to lose a few pounds and do not have very good technique.  I will take the kid that is a legitimate 230 (<12% body fat let's say) with good technique over some roley poley 285 lber that just leans on people waiting to pounce any day.  How many kids weigh in at 275 lbs that are beasts?  One that I can think of recently is Dexter Larimore and these poor little guys named Ruggeri and Kasten still found ways to win against him.  When Dexter's technique improved and he was a legit 275 or so with good technique guess what.  He was pretty much unstoppable because he won state and Senior Nationals and deservedly so.  I think that adding another weight class in the 200s (like 240) is a bad idea and bad for wrestling.  I would like to see the weight classes readjusted starting with 103 being changed to 108 or so and I have posted the weight classes I would like numerous times in the past (on the old crummy board). 

PS I do understand what you are saying with your argument.  I was a 152 lber in high school and a little bit better probably than our 171 lber, but I could not beat him in the room because he was too big for me, but that's just not the same thing.   

I would also take the 230lb. in that case.  I wasnt trying to bash the heavy kids,  please don't think I was,  but i think adding weights higher would be bad for the sport.  just because the upper weights are not usually as exciting as the lower or mid weights.  The upper weights usually just push and fight for underhooks,  doubleover,  exc.  and I agree with  what royboy74 just said

There are not enough heavy wrestlers to fille 6 weightclasses in the 200's.  You would probably have more forfeits than you do now.  Probably the best solution (not that I feel there is anything wrong with the current format) is to insert a weight class between 171 and 189.....

One of the benefits I see of 103 is getting freshmen and sophomores more mat time. I was 103 and got almost no forfeits, it seems to go in waves in different parts of the state. 103 is a great weight class, if anything make it 105 and 115 for the lower 2 just to make them a little more standard.

Every good wrestling club has 103 pounders wrestling-off for a top spot.  It's not the lack of kids, it's the lack of a quality program that begins years before these kids reach high school. How many forfeits do we see at state? Team state? ZERO. 

Every good wrestling club has 103 pounders wrestling-off for a top spot.  It's not the lack of kids, it's the lack of a quality program that begins years before these kids reach high school. How many forfeits do we see at state? Team state? ZERO.   

Actually, there was one at Team State last year, Bellmont.

Your post is poorly thought out.  Of course you dont' see any forfeits at team state.  You couldn't get there and absorb a 6 pt. loss against another good team.  Plenty of quality programs go through periods of no 103 pounder or only one.  Your statement not only says programs without 103 pounders are not quality programs, but it says that you must have multiple 103's wrestling off to be a quality program.  Quite an insulting statement to a lot of people.

Some of the most talented wrestlers in the state are at 103's

Talented?  Yes.  Most talented?  No.  Not one wrestler is being considered one of the "pound for pound" best wrestlers in Indiana.  Granted, these rankings are based on opinions but these opinions are from people in the know.  Looking at the individual rankings, 9 freshman and 4 sophomores are ranked in the top 16 at 103.  There are only 7 freshman ranked in all the other weight classes COMBINED.  Sorry, I have a hard time believing that 103 has some of the most talented wrestlers when so many underclassmen cloud the rankings.

Someday they will be outstanding college 125's or even higher.

The 103 lbers that get an opportunity to wrestle in college will be able to handle a move to 112.

All I can say is quit knocking it and start promoting it.

You mean start promoting a weight class that only two-thirds of schools could field last year?  Umm, ok.   ::)

Every good wrestling club has 103 pounders wrestling-off for a top spot.  It's not the lack of kids, it's the lack of a quality program that begins years before these kids reach high school.

That's a strong revelation.  Good wrestling schools being able to fill 103 more consistently than not-so-good wrestling schools.  :o  Let me ask you a football question.  Who's more likely to find a quarterback, a good one anyway.  A state championship caliber school or a team that never has been out of sectionals?

How many forfeits do we see at state? Team state? ZERO.

How many forfeits do we see at sectionals?  Alot more than zero.

Why are we only focusing on 103?  The data shows that 112 also had a large amount of forfeits last year.  No one is talking about starting a weight class at 115, so why are we discussing 103 and not 112 as well? 

103 actually seems like it may be one of the best weight classes this year!

Why are we only focusing on 103?  The data shows that 112 also had a large amount of forfeits last year.  No one is talking about starting a weight class at 115, so why are we discussing 103 and not 112 as well? 

103 actually seems like it may be one of the best weight classes this year!

I think this has already been answered by the post that said a weight class of 110 would largely combine these two classes and dramatically reduce the number of FFs.

It seems like this just hurts the talented 90-100 pound kids who are just small guys. That gives them an advantage over the guys who cut a lot to get down there.

Is this really an issue?  Is IHSAA seriously looking at cutting 103? This has always been something bigger guys complain about, they want 103 gone and more weight classes higher to make it easier for them.

It seems like this just hurts the talented 90-100 pound kids who are just small guys. That gives them an advantage over the guys who cut a lot to get down there.

Is this really an issue?  Is IHSAA seriously looking at cutting 103? This has always been something bigger guys complain about, they want 103 gone and more weight classes higher to make it easier for them.

There are talented 235 lbrs that currently are at a severe disadvantage over someone 285.  It would seem to be an issure if only 2/3 of high schools are currently filling the spot.  If that doesn't concern you, i guess it isn't an issure.  I don't think it has anything to do with what bigger guys want or complain about.  I think it has to do with reducing the amount of forfeits and increasing the amount of wrestlers on the mat.

I really do think we need at least one more weight class between 215 and 285, that's a huge range. There are great kids at the low end of that trying to fight against a 60-70 pound advantage. I just don't see that many 103 forfeits I guess. Whenever I've been a part of a team without a 103 the coaches went around the school and found one, and I've never been around a big school.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.