103, to have or not have?

NickS

Does anyone know teh rationale for when te state changed the lowest weight class to 100 around 12 years ago?  Apparently they changed it back to 103, but I was wondering their rationale for lowering the weight class then.  It was very shortlived.

I think the main reason was the weight classes in the middle had huge gaps.  I know I remember a lot of coaches complaining that there was too much space between weight classes from 119-152.

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Which part is hard to follow? The "we want class wrestling to help produce championships at our small schools, but we want to eliminate weight classes b/c our team can field those weights" part, or the adding an upper hwt question?

I can understand what you wrote here.  Just don't understand why your putting words into the mouths of people who support those two issues.  If you have noticed two of the biggest supporters of the redistributing the weight classes in this thread are from Warren Central and Mt. Vernon.  Neither one a small school.  Or do you attribute their support to the every growing cult like mind control powers of the omnipotent one, Sun Yung Y2?

Which part is hard to follow? The "we want class wrestling to help produce championships at our small schools, but we want to eliminate weight classes b/c our team can field those weights" part, or the adding an upper hwt question?

Why weren't you so adamant when they eliminated 275lbs a couple years ago?

103 or 108, I am not sure if it matters. There are Large and Small schools that do not put a 103 lber on the mat. But i have noticed that schools with strong Youth Programs seem to be able to fill that weight class.  I know you are saying,"ahhh shut up" but it is true. I looked at some schools that have strong Youth and Middle school programs over the last few years and I think they all have a 103 lber. From Oak Hill, attendance 496 to Avon with 2436 pupils. Build it and they will come!

Do these schools have a 103lber?

Because they have very good Youth Programs.

Oak Hill      496 Students

MD            571

Reitz         791

Col. City    1088

Ronc.       1139

Cath.       1292

Franklin    1468

Mish.        1641

Bloom. S   1733

P.M.         2141

C.P.         2426

Avon        2438

Just a thought!  You must plan for the future.

Sorry for the programs I left off, I have to earn a living also. ;D

Subtraction.....taking away from the little and giving it to the big

Much in the way adding 10 to the HWT subtracted from those poor 225 lb. heavyweights that now have to wrestle guys that way 10 lbs more then they were used to.  Increasing the advantages to HWTs like yourself who were at the top end of the wt. limit.

103 or 108, I am not sure if it matters. There are Large and Small schools that do not put a 103 lber on the mat. But i have noticed that schools with strong Youth Programs seem to be able to fill that weight class.  I know you are saying,"ahhh shut up" but it is true. I looked at some schools that have strong Youth and Middle school programs over the last few years and I think they all have a 103 lber. From Oak Hill, attendance 496 to Avon with 2436 pupils. Build it and they will come!

Do these schools have a 103lber?

Because they have very good Youth Programs.

Oak Hill      496 Students

MD            571

Reitz         791

Col. City    1088

Ronc.       1139

Lowell

Cath.       1292

Franklin    1468

Mish.        1641

Bloom. S   1733

P.M.         2141

C.P.         2426

Avon        2438

Just a thought!

From Yorktown vs. Lowell

103 Bevans Y by ff

.....Which is why I asked about support for a mid heavyweight.

I think many would support a mid heavy class.  Realistically do you think they will add a 15th class.  That would be ideal to add a class but the realist in me doesn't see that happening.  By the way, I coach at a school of 300 kids and we have both a 103 and 112.

I didnt say anything about hwt. I don't know much about hwt. because I've never been that heavy,  but I do know from experience  that it's a big difference.

Well I'm saying something about heavyweight and it's a more than fair comparison.  I would say it's more unfair for a 230 lber to wrestle a 285 lber compared to 103 wrestling 112, yet it's accepted.  I'm not advocating a 240 lb. class, just saying it won't hurt the few 103 lbers there are to move up.

I said that it's unfair to the kids who wrestle 103 that weigh 90lbs. to have to wrestle 112.  have you ever wrestled 103?  I have and it's a big difference from 103 to 112 strength wise.  I don't know much about hwt. because I've never been that heavy,  but I do know from experience  that it's a big difference.

How many kids are going around at 90 lbs in high school?  A handful, maybe?  I bet the majority of kids have to cut to wrestle 103.  I wrestled 145 and could beat everyone up to 189.  I was on a semi-state team too, not some pushover if you were wondering.  In fact, I wrestled a kid in the 190 lb. range and made him puke.  So don't tell me an average 103 lber can't wrestle with 112 lbs. kids.  What I see being unfair is when a 160 or 171 lbs. class commonly has  3, 4, or 5 kids have to wrestle-off for 1 varsity spot.  While a 103 lb. class has a hard time just giving out that spot.

you wrestled 145 and could beat everyone up to 189 then you must of been a beast!  I wrestled 145 as a senior and couldnt beat our 160lb seniour.  HE WAS TO BIG FOR ME!  my technique was better but he was so much bigger and stronger than me.  when we got out high school and i weighed about the same as him I was able to handle him pretty easy,  but not when I was 145 and he was 160.  I would agree with upping the class to 105 because times change and I'm sure the normal size and weight of high school kids have to.  I know when I wrestled 103 as a freshman those 2 extra lbs. was a great gift for christmas.  I also know that it's not 50% forfeiting it 34% and theres still 66% of kids that wrestle it.  You say kids cut to get to 103 but you might of frogot that kids also cut to get to 112,  so you won't just have the 95lb. kid (exp. Brandon Wright as a freshman) wrestling a kid naturally 112 he will prob. be around 120.  That jump is a little bigger.  Those smaller kids don't have as much body fat as the HWT. so every pount counts down there

you might of frogot that kids also cut to get to 112,  so you won't just have the 95lb. kid (exp. Brandon Wright as a freshman) wrestling a kid naturally 112 he will prob. be around 120.  That jump is a little bigger.

How many Brandon Wright's are wrestling out there today though?  I know by combining 103 and 112 that I'm "hurting" the 103 lbers a little bit.  But there are so few of these guys, that the negative impact will not be that significant.  In my opinion, if the weight classes are redistributed like I've suggested.  The overall positive will outweigh the overall negative.  That's the point I'm trying to make.  Also, 112 was being forfeitted at more than 20%.  If you combined it with 103, that rate should drop to under 15%.  I firmly believe that the average 103 lber can battle well with the average 112 lber.  Brandon Wright and Camden Eppert, two years ago at 103 would still be state qualiifers at 112, at the minimum semi-state qualifiers.

Keith Avon does not have 3 this year as of yet there is one in the room but he is a hall way find. but it is the first time that I can remember of us not having at least 1 and in a few years we should have 2 or 3 battling it out for varsity. I think what you say about the feeder programs is true get them in involved early and it is no big deal but start wrestling as a freshmen at whatever wieght and it is difficult for kids to accept if success is not immediate part that can be linked back to our culture of the quick fix if it doesn't work right away we are fast to give up on it. I am for a larger class between 215 and HWT to many football players won't wrestle because they don't want to cut.103 up to 105-110 I don't think would hurt.

At the meet this weekend 50% of the four lower weight classes were forfiets. There was a few fans talking about the weight classes and here is what some of them came up with

6 weight classes in the 200's... really???  ???  Most of the participation is between 130 and 189.

At the meet this weekend 50% of the four lower weight classes were forfiets. There was a few fans talking about the weight classes and here is what some of them came up with

YEAH let's just watch the boring big kids wrestle that will really bring love to the sport!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.