103, to have or not have?

NickS

some people are talking about getting rid of the 103lb. class because 34% of schools forfeit it,  but what about the 66% of kids that wrestle in it?  A lot of these kids can't play other sports because of their size.  103lbs. are not football players,  usually can't hit the homeruns,  don't have the long legs to be runners,  and I'm sure you wont find one tall enough to play basketball

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

some people are talking about getting rid of the 103lb. class because 34% of schools forfeit it,  but what about the 66% of kids that wrestle in it?  A lot of these kids can't play other sports because of their size.  103lbs. are not football players,  usually can't hit the homeruns,  don't have the long legs to be runners,  and I'm sure you wont find one tall enough to play basketball

You don't think that most of the 103 lbers can wrestle 112?  There's an 8% weight difference between 103 and 112.  There are some heavyweights who weigh between 230 and 240.  That means kids that weigh 230 could have to matchup with someone who was 19% more body weight than himself.  Yet that's accepted, but 103's can't wrestle 112?  C'mon.

You don't think that most of the 103 lbers can wrestle 112?  There's an 8% weight difference between 103 and 112.  There are some heavyweights who weigh between 230 and 240.  That means kids that weigh 230 could have to matchup with someone who was 19% more body weight than himself.  Yet that's accepted, but 103's can't wrestle 112?  C'mon.

I didnt say anything about hwt.  I said that it's unfair to the kids who wrestle 103 that weigh 90lbs. to have to wrestle 112.  have you ever wrestled 103?  I have and it's a big difference from 103 to 112 strength wise.  I don't know much about hwt. because I've never been that heavy,  but I do know from experience  that it's a big difference.

For me, it comes down to this:  Will more kids participate (equals less forfeits) if the weight class is moved up?  I think yes.

I didnt say anything about hwt. I don't know much about hwt. because I've never been that heavy,  but I do know from experience  that it's a big difference.

Well I'm saying something about heavyweight and it's a more than fair comparison.  I would say it's more unfair for a 230 lber to wrestle a 285 lber compared to 103 wrestling 112, yet it's accepted.  I'm not advocating a 240 lb. class, just saying it won't hurt the few 103 lbers there are to move up.

I said that it's unfair to the kids who wrestle 103 that weigh 90lbs. to have to wrestle 112.  have you ever wrestled 103?  I have and it's a big difference from 103 to 112 strength wise.  I don't know much about hwt. because I've never been that heavy,  but I do know from experience  that it's a big difference.

How many kids are going around at 90 lbs in high school?  A handful, maybe?  I bet the majority of kids have to cut to wrestle 103.  I wrestled 145 and could beat everyone up to 189.  I was on a semi-state team too, not some pushover if you were wondering.  In fact, I wrestled a kid in the 190 lb. range and made him puke.  So don't tell me an average 103 lber can't wrestle with 112 lbs. kids.  What I see being unfair is when a 160 or 171 lbs. class commonly has  3, 4, or 5 kids have to wrestle-off for 1 varsity spot.  While a 103 lb. class has a hard time just giving out that spot.

I like the 103 weight class. I always like to see the smaller weights battle it out. In my opinion why bother. These weight classes have been here for almost a decade why mess with it ?

It seems that this is the only argument that can be made for hanging on to this weight class.  So we should keep 103 just because it's tradition?  Nevermind the fact that we can open up MORE varsity spots for bigger kids.  Also another point that I forgot to make.  When you drop 103, which would be bumping them up to 112.  Those kids will actually get matches more often instead of having their hand automatically raised 1/3 of the time.

I like the 103 weight class. I always like to see the smaller weights battle it out. In my opinion why bother. These weight classes have been here for almost a decade why mess with it ?

If you look at the history of the weights classes and the lowest weight class in particular you will notice a trend of the lowest weight class being bumped up about every 20 years.  It started at 95lbs, then to 98lbs and in the 80's it became 103lbs. 

103.....believe it or not, I weighed in at 103 at one time in my life!  We have gone without one, and it sucks giving up the BIG 6 points...in a very close match....But I think unless the rest of the nation does away with 103, we coaches just gotta beat down doors and roam the hallways till we find that 103 pounder.  We're pretty lucky here at South Adams, they must put something in the water in Berne, because most of our kids are just small anyways.......

We wrestled in a 10 way, and my 103lber(whose 18 years old) wrestled 10 times.

We wrestled in an 8 way and he wrestled 6 or 7 times. He doesn't even lead the team in wins against For Feit.

and did somebody really say that an increase in 103 will bring out more wrestlers?!?!?!? Because there's some 107lbers walking around the hallways saying, "Man if there was a sport out ther for guys like me, I would be all over it!"

www.DisciplesfoY2CJ41.co......errrrrr...www.Indianamat.com certainly does have a certain flavor to it!

We wrestled in a 10 way, and my 103lber(whose 18 years old) wrestled 10 times.

We wrestled in an 8 way and he wrestled 6 or 7 times. He doesn't even lead the team in wins against For Feit.

and did somebody really say that an increase in 103 will bring out more wrestlers?!?!?!? Because there's some 107lbers walking around the hallways saying, "Man if there was a sport out ther for guys like me, I would be all over it!"

www.DisciplesfoY2CJ41.co......errrrrr...www.Indianamat.com certainly does have a certain flavor to it!

Looks to me like the Disciples of Logic are starting to win out the Legions of Anecdotal Evidence.  No one said it would it would bring out more 107 lb. wrestlers.  Reread the posts.  I think they said those weight classes that traditionally have multiple back-ups would benefit by having the 14 classes spread out.  But I think you know that is what they said.  Time to start making buttons I guess. 

How much would moving the weight class up to 107 or even 110 help?  The data reported earlier showed 20% forfeits at 112. This is not as high as the 36% of 103 forfeits, but 20% is still an extremely high number.  This would make me think that if we eliminated 103 trhen we would have to create completely different weight classes from top to bottom.

How much would moving the weight class up to 107 or even 110 help?  The data reported earlier showed 20% forfeits at 112. This is not as high as the 36% of 103 forfeits, but 20% is still an extremely high number.  This would make me think that if we eliminated 103 trhen we would have to create completely different weight classes from top to bottom.

More then likely.  Remember, no weight classes would be eliminated, only redistributed.

For me, it comes down to this:  Will more kids participate (equals less forfeits) if the weight class is moved up?  I think yes.

I think my reading is fine......

Do you "suppport the little man, kick the little kid" guys support a middle weight HWT Class?

I don't know what that means, but I do support a careful evaluation of data and making adjustments based on that data, if that helps.

The only way the lowest weight class will have very little forfeits is for it to be around the 140lb range.  Teams will always struggle to fill the lowest weight, but at this point it time it is getting pretty ridiculous.  When 1/3 of the teams do not field the weight, its time for careful evaluation and adjustment.  Forfeits are not good for the sport and we need to find a happy median between letting the little guys have weight classes and at the same time try to have the least amount of forfeits. 

If the lowest weight class is raised to 105-108 its not going to magically make the number of forfeits drop, but it will help.  As someone stated earlier, at what point do you determine that there is an issue, 20%, 25% , 30%, 35% forfeits?

Will this debate still hold water if the number of 103 ff's drops this year?  I have been to 4 high school events this year and have yet to witness a 103 forfeit.  Maybe the number of ff's will be down this year.

I know it is off topic, but I agree with other posters about the gap between 215 and 285. 

I think this same kind of discussion went on when 98 lbs. was moved.  There was probably a lot of evidence that it should happen.  There was probably a lot of evidence that some schools didn't have a problem and it would actually hurt their program, in the short term.  I haven't been around the sport long enough to know if the move away from 98 was good or bad for the sport.  Is the sport better or worse for that change? 

Does anyone know the rationale for when the state changed the lowest weight class to 100 around 12 years ago?  Apparently they changed it back to 103, but I was wondering their rationale for lowering the weight class then.  It was very shortlived.

Mt. Vernon vs. Memorial last night had a double forfeit at 103.  There were also a lot of forfeits at the Turkey Classic down here.  Maybe we don't grow them small enough down south.  Very small sample, though.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.