103, to have or not have?

NickS

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do they tell kids they have to gain if they're below?

No, because some people are naturally lean, they just cannot cut any weight.

How often do they recheck?

They only check once at the beginning of the season

Aren't coaches requires to have the fat checks with them at all weigh ins?

Required, not sure, but I have never seen anyone called on it.

I think someone has already made mention on this post, that some of the state's best 103 pounders have trouble getting up to 103. So I feel it's all relative.

Who was mentioned and what is all relative?

I think it was Brooks for one. As far as relative goes, most teams (Obviously not Mishawaka) have  problems filling any weight class with state contenders ever year, let alone a 103 pounder. Sometimes it's just the luck of the draw.

In general, I am not in favor of an increase to the lowest weight class because of the good wrestlers that weigh 90-95 pounds will be at at even greater disadvantage.  However, if it can be shown there is an increased number of forfeits at that weight over the last 3-5 years and that increasing the weight would reduce the number of forfeits in that weight class, then an increase of weight at the lowest weight class would seem to be the logical solution.

I don't have any statistics but when I wrestled 103 I wrestled 37 time and had 2 ff,  but that was also about 9 years ago now.  that was before they made the hydration, and the body fat test,  which I think was a good idea.  If they do change the class i hope they don't combine it with 112.  I would hope they would just add a few lbs.  on like they've done in the past. Thats just a personal opinion it don't mean it's right or wrong. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.