103, to have or not have?

NickS

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why not adjust the weight to 105 but not more.  Also, these smaller kids work just as hard or harder than the rest.

Don't say that or all the people that love 103lbs will be stating that you are ELIMINATING the 103lb weight class.

I am guessing within two years there will be a change, just my educated guess.

I think most people would be ok with a slight adjustment (including me), but anything more than 105 is pushing it.  If forfeits are still a problem at 105 then the issue could be reeavaluated.  Y2 you're on my good side so I'll give in a little

I would say 106-108lbs for the first weight class.  Two main reasons:

1. The gap between 103 and 112 is too much.  Too many tweeners that say they can go 106-110 on the body fat tests.  right now if a kid weighs 110lbs naturally he has to have over 12% body fat to make 103lbs.  Back in my day when you didn't have the fat test, if you weighed 110lbs you were going 103 9 times out of 10.

2. The growth of kids and people in general reflect that 106-108 is a more natural weight for kids.

I would say 106-108lbs for the first weight class.  Two main reasons:

1. The gap between 103 and 112 is too much.  Too many tweeners that say they can go 106-110 on the body fat tests.  right now if a kid weighs 110lbs naturally he has to have over 12% body fat to make 103lbs.  Back in my day when you didn't have the fat test, if you weighed 110lbs you were going 103 9 times out of 10.

2. The growth of kids and people in general reflect that 106-108 is a more natural weight for kids.

I agree that the gap is too large.  But today, kids that weigh 114 lbs or less still go 103.  If you can eliminate this, then I'm ok with going beyond 105.

Kids that weigh 114lbs cannot go 103lbs unless they work the system to get the body fat test to say they can go 103lbs.  A 114lb kid has to have over 15% body fat to make 103 in a legal manner.  Not many 114lb teenagers have that much body fat on them. 

That's my point Y2, it shouldn't happen but it does.  How many 103s at state are naturally under 110.  I'd bet 2/3 of 16.

Look at ISWA results for state tourneys or just observe the state tourneys at schoolboy  84,91 and cadet 84,91. They are always packed with talented kids that should be wrestling for a highschool next year.  Do these kids deserve to loose out on their chance?  Most of these two weights have as many or more in their brackets as the juniors do in some of the more accepted weights.  So the smaller kids are there, we should focus on why we can't get them to participate for their highschool team.  Eliminating or raising the weighclass will only encourage the smaller kids to look elsewhere to exercise their talents.  Lets not take our sport down the same ugly path that other sports have gone down, where only the biggest or tallest may even think of participating.  We must work together to get the most athletes involved as we possibly can.

Only cadet?  I know several second year schoolboys from last year that are now freshman. 

I have not been around highschool since 98 was eliminated but I do know that there are plenty of kids to wrestle my smaller club kids that will not be able to gain the 15 -20 pounds needed to make 105 or whatever the larger-kid-type proponents think is too small to be of any value to a wrestling program

Folkstyle state

Cadet 84lbs had 10 kids

Cadet 91lbs had 16 kids

Freestyle state

Cadet 84lbs had 7 kids

Cadet 91lbs had 5 kids

Are you serious?

Where did you find that info?  I was trying to look up some old brackets and numbers.  Unfortunately, I was not having any success.

Some teams just don't work hard enough to find one and yes some teams  can't...

Kind of an insulting statement.  Define "don't work hard enough" 

The problem goes beyond just being able to find a 103 lb. kid, but you have to find one that wants to wrestle, and then hope he has talent.  Now he is in the wrestling room, but has few partners, unless they bring the grade school program in for him to beat on.

Folkstyle state

Cadet 84lbs had 10 kids

Cadet 91lbs had 16 kids

Freestyle state

Cadet 84lbs had 7 kids

Cadet 91lbs had 5 kids

Are you serious?

Where did you find that info?  I was trying to look up some old brackets and numbers.  Unfortunately, I was not having any success.

Trackwrestling.com

Only cadet?  I know several second year schoolboys from last year that are now freshman. 

I have not been around highschool since 98 was eliminated but I do know that there are plenty of kids to wrestle my smaller club kids that will not be able to gain the 15 -20 pounds needed to make 105 or whatever the larger-kid-type proponents think is too small to be of any value to a wrestling program

Because I don't know which ones are 8th graders as schoolboys.  Schoolboys include 6-8th graders so those weight classes will have some good numbers.  I expect 13-14 year old boys to weigh 90-100lbs, not 15-16year olds.

Ok how about this...close up the ranks between 189 and 285.   I know there are occasionally very healthy and athletic kids above oh lets say 260, but COME ON!

It's amazing to me that some of the kids wrestling HWY are as large as they are!  

Keep 103...or make it 105 if you like, there are kids who would be used as human chess pieces without this weight class!  (Sorry couldn't help myself!)

Move 215 to 200 or so to keep the jump from 189 to the next class within a reasonable range, and cap the classes at 260 or 265.

103 could be an all-female weight class

Have to keep HWT where it is at, don't want to discriminate against the terminally obese.

Ahhh...I see...I am just worried one of those 103's will slip on some butter or whatever those 285's sweat if we start a meet at 285!

Keep 103.  I don't think the weight class is as big as a problem as it was about 8 years ago.  Thats around the time when they started the weight restricrions.  back then there were guys cutting from mid to high 120's to 103.

Man,

Get off of it.

103 is a good weight class.

QUIT being mad that you don't have one. and that you can't wrestle it.

The sport is good with it and there is no NEED to take it away.

There are plenty of other weight classes that I have seen forfeits in, why not get rid of those.

How about the schools that can't field a full roster and only have 8 guys...lets tell them to GET RID OF THEIR PROGRAMS!!!

COME ON...get a life and get off the 103 subject....

If you are addressing me, we have a 103lber.

Also take a look at the statistics from last year, they are are quite distubing...

http://www.garrettwrestling.com/brackets/2008/ffdistrubution.html

If 189 had over 25% forfeits I would be calling for a change also.  As with other people, if 1/4 of the state's schools forfeit the weight, something needs to be changed.

I can only speak from my own past here. My son came into high school weighing in at 96 pounds as a freshman, he could have stepped omn the scale with a big mac in his hand eating the entire way. he did not have to cut to get to 103. His soph. year was a bit harder, but he managed. I would say keep the 103, and add some to the upper weight classes to reduce the large weight seperations. I would rather see us go to 16-17 weight classes, and give more kids the chance to get on the mat.

I wish they would bump it up to 105..  Some of the best matches , as far as fast paced action would have to be 103 and 112 -119.  They seem to be moving twice as fast , compared to the upper weights..  NO OFFENSE

Y2,

Our sport is dying, and if things don't change in the next few years we will not have wrestling at the college level in 20 years. You spent all this time putting together a nice message board to promote our sport, and give us some cheap entertainment, but you want to elliminate a weight class that may eliminate 3% of the wrestlers. Y2, you should be promoting more weight classes, get more kids envolved. What if they said forget Arizona State, it's only one school and they are not that good??? I love to read your post however I wish you would look at the big picture on this. 103 is not my favorite weight class, but it is more exciting then some of the upper weights? Once again, thanks for your time on developing this message board.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.