• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2) Brian Kuhn 11 Evansville Reitz

6) Zac Stevens 11 Merrillville SQ at 103 in '08  

7) Matt Miller 11 Northwestern SQ at 103 in '08

There are even a few sophomores at 103 as well

Come on now...there are well more than 20 of them out there.

You are just mad...because the team you watch doesn't have one and you don't weigh it.

103 has some very good and very sound wrestlers in it.

Actually, I could care less about weighing 103.  In fact, that would look pretty freaking gross if I did.  What bothers me is the fact that 25% of the teams couldn't field a 103 lber (Y2, post those stats for sectional participants from last year to clarify that please).  Anyone else find that slightly disturbing?  But hey, if you like seeing forfeits, then 103 is for you.  Who knows, with how kids growing at the rate they are.  We'll be seeing forfeits at State in about 10-15 years for 103.

Actually, I could care less about weighing 103.

Who would have guessed.

What bothers me is the fact that 25% of the teams couldn't field a 103 lber (Y2, post those stats for sectional participants from last year to clarify that please).Anyone else find that slightly disturbing?

Nope, after 1 round in sectionals the forfeits are pretty much over.

Who knows, with how kids growing at the rate they are.  We'll be seeing forfeits at State in about 10-15 years for 103.

Who knows??? We don't know and if that does happen in 10 or 15 years we'll worry about it then.

ff

Who would have guessed.

You make it sound like I have a personal vendetta against 103 lbers, when in reality that's far from the case.  If 145 and/or 152 was having the same issues, I'd be advocating the same thing.

Nope, after 1 round in sectionals the forfeits are pretty much over.

So you're fine with 25% of teams not fielding a varsity spot... umm ok, just making sure.  This goes beyond just the Sectionals, it's an issue being dealt with during the regular season at EVERY meet and tournament.

Who knows??? We don't know and if that does happen in 10 or 15 years we'll worry about it then.

So don't address a growing issue until it is blown out of proportion... nice.

I do not understand your argument.  In wrestling, the best wrestler gets to wrestle .  Sometimes there will be situations where a room is loaded at one weight, but is that really a reason to take it out on someone else?  The more wrestling grows, the more times the issue you stated will happen.  To punish the 103 wrestlers because 255 of schools last year could not fill that weight is no fair to them.  They work just as hard in the room as the next guy.

What is hard to understand?  Weight classes are adjusted all the time to reflect trends. The data shows that 103 is by far the weight class that most schools can't fill, therefore an adjustment in the weight classes adding an additional weight class somewhere else would give opportunities to those have spent a couple of years in the practice room already and have earned a place on a varsity team rather then just being the beneficiary of genetics to have a varsity spot.

to say that the 103 wrestlers are just a benefit of genetics is not fair?  That implies that they are only in the room because of their size.  I have no problem adding weigh classes, but I am opposed to removing the 103 weight class.

I thought that might generate a reaction.  I know there are plenty of 103s that are legit wrestlers, but you would have to admit that there are many more 'hallway recruited' 1st time wrestlers that are sold on the fact that they will 'earn' their varsity letter at 103 than all the other classes combined.  I am being a realist on the adding a weight class issue.  If it were possible to have both, I would be OK with that, but don't see it happening.  Nothing against 103 lbers.  If the data showed that 160 had 25% forfeits, I would be for eliminating that weight class and adding a class where there are more kids wrestling.

Why not adjust the weight to 105 but not more.  Also, these smaller kids work just as hard or harder than the rest.

Don't say that or all the people that love 103lbs will be stating that you are ELIMINATING the 103lb weight class.

I am guessing within two years there will be a change, just my educated guess.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.