Funny wrestling stories.

SeanMcMurray

Does anyone have any funny wrestling stories?  I love to listen to these and I know Pendoski has his fair share of them...

I got a pretty good one, atleast it will be funny to you...

I was wrestling one of them Gladiator boys from IL at Tulsa Nationals.  During the match, I ended up putting the kid to his back.  I had him in a headlock-type position.  After kicking like a fish for a couple seconds I hear his coaches yelling, "Stick it in the hole!"    ???

So, this kids is sticking HIS fingers in MY hole.  :-[  haha.  Can't say I have ever squeezed someone so hard in my life... The kid went to sleep... and yes, with with his fingers in the hole...  :o

Let's hear some more wrestling stories.

That is statutory rape in most states. There was case a few years ago of a wrestler in the Dakotas that was doing that to some of his teammates.  I think he go into some amount of trouble over the whole deal.

**WARNING** If you are eating you just might want to wait before you read this(Clive suggested this the last time I wrote it 2 yrs ago)

When I wrestled many moons ago, we had a kid that had an acne problem...a very very bad one. To start things off, in the wrestling room one day we were practicing takedowns and I got to practice with you know who. Well, on one of my takedowns he went down on his back, nothing unusual about that........except.......uh......ok here it goes..... he had a zit about the size of a pea on his upper lip that popped and went into his mouth. He rolled over and started gagging and I must say that I did the same. Really nothing funny about that but I wanted to share. I have another story about this kid and I believe his only match he got to wrestle if you want to hear more but for now I'll stop.

ff

There was a kid from one of the Lafayette  schools a few years ago that had such bad acne that the pimples on his back started to pop during the match.  The ref had to give him an injury timeout so the coaches could tape his back.  Did anyone else see this at Merrillville semi state?

There was a kid from one of the Lafayette  schools a few years ago that had such bad acne that the pimples on his back started to pop during the match.  The ref had to give him an injury timeout so the coaches could tape his back.  Did anyone else see this at Merrillville semi state?

That is right in line with my continuing saga of the kid I was talking about.

ff

OK, just to make sure here What on earth is so funny about someone "checking the oil", or a zit popping in the mouth... Dont any of you have stories that say involve someone doing something that is not disgusting.

Since I have a horrible memory I can only remember one thing, I am sure most of you have seen something just as bad.

During one of my sons middle school matches, the ref was a rather rotund fellow, the parents of both schools were tallking in the stands, and were actually afraid that he might hurt one of the kids when he went to the mat to check on a fall at some point in the meet. We soon found out that we had nothing to worry about, as during the first match, he called the fall with his foot while standing, and not once during the meet did he ever go to the mat to call anything. It got to the point where parents from both schools were trying to call the fall from the stands with our feet. It was maybe the most fun meet we ever went to. He was so ridicules that we all had a rather good time wondering how he would screw it up next.

Ok, I have two stories...

I will omit the names to protect the guilty.

A former NCAA Champion for Iowa in the 1980's was in an Iowa City campus bar partaking in his favorite beverage other than Gatorade. As the establishment was very crowded, the line to the men's room was also very long so he decided to do "his business" in the parking lot. When he was finished he turned around to go back into the bar and was face-to-face with and Iowa City Police Officer. The Officer explained the he had violated several city codes and he was going to be placed under arrest. The wrestler asked the officer "Do you have any idea who I am" ? (Remember this was during the Gable era and Iowa was in the midst of winning 9 NCAA titles in a row). The officer replied " I have no idea who you are. Now let me see some ID".....at that exact moment the NCAA champ turned and took off on a dead sprint. He figured that if he got enough of a head start he could out run anyone because he was "Gable Trained". The officer did chase him and thankfully didn't shoot him and the NCAA champ did get away when the officer realized that he could not keep up with him.

The next story involves another former NCAA Champion who was also a very successful international wrestler. He was on a tour of Russia for a tournament and several dual meets in either 1979 or 1980. Keep in mind Russia was then the former Soviet Union and the "Cold War" was very much a reality.

Convinced that his room was somehow "bugged" with listening devices to monitor the conversations and the activities of the US wrestlers, he searched his room high and low for the "bug". He moved all the furniture to one side of the room and pulled back the area rug that was on the floor. There in the middle of the floor was a metal disk that he was sure was the "bug". After close examination he began turning the disk and when it came loose he lifted the disk to find the electronic device. Seconds later he heard a loud crash and realized that he had unscrewed the ceiling light fixture in the room below him.

This is a good one!

It was one of the first years we attended the Traicoff Tournament and I don't remember who we where wrestling on the floor, but we put in a J.V. kid in to wrestle to get him a match. Well the kid he was wrestling was a stud and our kid took a shot on him to only be put into a front head lock from H- E- double hockey sticks!!! The stud puts our kid to his back and with about 5 seconds left the official calls the pin. When the stud got off of our wrestler he was SLEEPING. When the official relized that our kid was sleeping, the buzzer went off and our wrestler sit up and stretched his arms like he had just woken up in the morning! We all started laughing,

and I had walked out to check on him and he stated that he thought his alarm clock had went off and he was sleeping in his bed. He did not remember what had happened! I simpley stated, "You lost!"

When I was in High School we had a Freshman 103 pounder that was overweight for a tournament at Twin Lakes.  We stayed in a hotel the night before, and he was cutting weight like the whole day.  We'll everybody wakes up in the morning to go to the tournament and I guess he was so tired from cutting weight the night before the little guy forgot where he at.  Right there in the lobby in front of this woman eating breakfast, who had to be in her late 50's, he strips down, BARES ALL, an steps on the scale we had brought with us.  I don't think I have ever seen such a happy 50 year old woman yet.  She was smiling galore and just staring at our 103 pounder.  To top it off he gets off the scale, turns around, and says....."You dropped your spoon mam."

I won't mention any names for face-saving purposes...

I met a guy in his late 20s at a Purdue/Michigan dual meet a few years ago.  I came to find out he was a 3-time state champion from whatever state he was from (It's slipping my mind at the moment).  He also wrestled at Purdue for a few years.  

As a high schooler, in I believe he said his junior year, he finished the season 31-1 and a state champion.  His one loss is the compelling factor...

He received a forfeit in your typical garden-variety weekend super dual.  As he was walking out onto the mat, he tripped over the edge of it.  After he stumbled a few times, he landed on his back and did a handspring to come to his feet.  The ref, who knew the wrestler was very good and looked as surprised as anyone, blew his whistle and slapped the mat.  The ref then went over to the official scorer and informed the scorer that the forfeiting team would get credit for a six-point victory.  The wrestler's coaches instantly became irate and referenced a rules book.

The ref called a touch fall for the wrestlers shoulders being on the mat.  The coaches tried to argue that since there was no opponent, there could be no touch fall.  The guy (upon talking to him years later) said that the ref was right in making this call, though trying to explain to his father (who was absent from that meet) why he lost was quite difficult!   :P

The next story involves another former NCAA Champion who was also a very successful international wrestler. He was on a tour of Russia for a tournament and several dual meets in either 1979 or 1980. Keep in mind Russia was then the former Soviet Union and the "Cold War" was very much a reality.

Convinced that his room was somehow "bugged" with listening devices to monitor the conversations and the activities of the US wrestlers, he searched his room high and low for the "bug". He moved all the furniture to one side of the room and pulled back the area rug that was on the floor. There in the middle of the floor was a metal disk that he was sure was the "bug". After close examination he began turning the disk and when it came loose he lifted the disk to find the electronic device. Seconds later he heard a loud crash and realized that he had unscrewed the ceiling light fixture in the room below him.

That was hilarious!

I also saw that it was like 2002, right?

Back in the mid 80's we had a 185 pounder who wasn't playing with a full deck.  He was a average wrestler ,  and always won by a pin or he got pinned.  Following all of his pins he would shout at the top of his lungs , " I ALWAYS PIN MY MAN , " along with pounding his chest and shaking his head side to side.  The last match he ever wrestled was against a kid he had pinned the previous year.  The opposing wrestler picked up our 185 pounder and put him down with some bad intentions , and half deck had a broken arm .  He hollered out in his growly voice "  MAMA MAMA,. HELP ME MAMA. "  Every wrestler on our team couldnt keep a straight face , including our coach.  I had to walk out of the gym ,  because I do believe in sportsmanship..

**WARNING** If you are eating you just might want to wait before you read this(Clive suggested this the last time I wrote it 2 yrs ago)

When I wrestled many moons ago, we had a kid that had an acne problem...a very very bad one. To start things off, in the wrestling room one day we were practicing takedowns and I got to practice with you know who. Well, on one of my takedowns he went down on his back, nothing unusual about that........except.......uh......ok here it goes..... he had a zit about the size of a pea on his upper lip that popped and went into his mouth. He rolled over and started gagging and I must say that I did the same. Really nothing funny about that but I wanted to share. I have another story about this kid and I believe his only match he got to wrestle if you want to hear more but for now I'll stop.

ff

that is funny in like a "jackass" kind of way! 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.