Changes to Qualifications for Semi-State?

WeeMom

I am thinking that IHSAA was considering taking the top 4 placers from regionals to semi-state, effective this year.  Does anyone know what the result of those discussions were? I thought I read somewhere that it was voted on and passed, but now I can't find that info.

It was passed. From IHSAA.org Media Release 11-12-08

EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE APPROVES WINTER SPORT TOURNAMENT PLANS

General formats, sites and preliminary plans for each of the 2008-09 winter state tournaments were presented and approved by the IHSAA Executive Committee last Friday at its November meeting.

The most significant moves are a return of one of the boys basketball regionals to Butler University?s Hinkle Fieldhouse after a one-year hiatus due to scheduling conflicts as well as alterations to the wrestling tournaments.

Effective with this year?s tournament, the fourth place wrestler in each weight class at each individual regional will advance to the individual semi-state creating a 16-person bracket in each weight class at the semi-state.

Also approved was the elimination of the team semi-states. The eight state finalist teams will now be determined through a four-team format at eight regional sites and made up only of teams that win their respective sectional. Sectional runner-up teams will not advance to the team tournament.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.