Biggest Crowd

AJ

Iowa and Iowa St. are trying to break the attendance record this weekend.  Outside of the tournament series, what was the largest crowd you have either been apart of or know about, that happened at a high school meet here in Indiana. 

I was told in the early 80's when Muncie Southside and Delta wrestled at Southside that the school brought in extra bleachers and it was still standing room only.  People were actually standing in the hall looking through te glass on the door.

Adams Central and Bellmont used to consider 2000 an average crowd.  There was one match at Bellmont when they had all four bleachers upstairs open as well as the two sides downstairs.  I believe there were 3000+ plus for that dual.  Unfortuneately, I don't remember the year.  Late 1970's or early 1980's, I think

I have yet to ever see a crowd that rivaled the Indianapolis Cathedral - Delta battles between Rhodes and Palmer/Patton in the 80's. Cathedral had to rent out whole seperate venues to accommodate the crowds. I think there was legitimate hatred between the programs. Rhodes used to wear a tuxedo in all his brashness to fuel the fire. It was a great series between two programs in their prime. 

for me, the crown point at merrillville matchup from last year stands out.  it probably wasn't really as crowded as it seemed, but they had it in their field house (seating for about 50) instead of the gym. 

the basketball team probably had to practice or something.

clive and AJ,

I have been around wrestling 55 years. I know, you will say he doesn't look that old.

And in my mind nothing will beat the state finals at "the pit" at Southport HS.

Another one was the last finals at MSA when the crowd was so large that they raised the curtains to the upper seats.

1999 attendance 36,527.

Delta - Cathedral dual matches in th '80s. If my memory serves me correctly at one match the Cathedral coach came out wearing a tuxedo and the Delta coach came out wearing a royal purple robe.

TAE

Could you imagine how the discussion board would blow up today if rival coaches wore a tuxedo and a robe to the match! 

I remember the 1999 finals.  It was awesome being a part of that crowd.

AJ,

Last year's Perry Meridian-Cathederal match had a great crowd. I am guessing about 2500 people, maybe more.

The biggest crowd I have ever seen for a competion was a tournament in Iran called the Tahkti Cup. There were about 20,000 people jammed in the aisles and the rafters. It would have caused a Fire Marshall in the United States to drop over dead. All of them undertood wrestling and all of them were great fans and very appreciative of good wrestling.

• 2 weeks later...

Adams Central and Bellmont used to consider 2000 an average crowd.  There was one match at Bellmont when they had all four bleachers upstairs open as well as the two sides downstairs.  I believe there were 3000+ plus for that dual.  Unfortuneately, I don't remember the year.  Late 1970's or early 1980's, I think

Actually it was like that for the Bellmont vs Adam central dual of the 88-89 season and It was like that the same year for the Delta vs Adam Central dual at Adam Central.

Back in 2003.....Valparaiso Team SEMI-STATE.... Portage vs. Griffith.....probably the biggest match and crowd i seen others than team state at center grove...they opened up the balcony bleachers and packed it pretty well. Griffith edged out the meet.. back when they had the escobedo's and tsirtsis

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.