BLOOMINGTON, Ind.– The Indiana wrestling team fell against North Dakota State, 26-12 on Friday at Wilkinson Hall
• The Hoosiers fall to 0-1 on the season and North Dakota State improved to 2-1.
• Graham Rooks got the first win for the Hoosiers at 149 lbs. Rooks scored on a reversal in the second period that proved to be the difference in his 2-1 decision.
• No. 18 Jacob Covaciu dominated in match and led 5-1 after the second period. Covaciu added two takedowns in the third period for an 11-4 decision with 4:21 of riding time.
Covaciu improved to 7-1 on the season for the Hoosiers. Rooks now has a 1-1 record on the season.
• Rudy Streck battled tough against No. 26 Brandon Metz. Streck narrowed the gap to 2-1 going into the third period, but was called for stalling with 57 seconds left to give Metz a 3-1 decision.
• Jake Hinz at 184 lbs led his bout 2-1 after the first period, 4-4 after the second, and went into sudden victory with the score 6-6 at the end of the third period. His opponent Noah Cressel scored on a takedown in sudden victory.
• North Dakota State had two wrestlers ranked in the top-10 who each secured pins in the match. No. 7 Cameron Sykora at 133 lbs. and No. 10 Andrew Fogarty at 165 lbs.
IU Head Coach Angel Escobedo
"I thought the fans had some energy behind the matches. We were in a lot of close matches. We didn't capitalize on a couple of techniques we have been working on in the room and as far as getting to our offense. I felt like there were opportunities where we could have scored to win the match and turned it in our favor. It's back to work and focusing on those opportunities and helping them identify them when they come up in matches and how we can capitalize on them."
"I thought Graham's first match back in a while. For him I thought he did a great job. His conditioning looked good. He was attacking till the end. For him to get a win for not having as many matches as the other guys was good. It showed some toughness for him. For Covaciu, he is a worker. He is looking to score points. He had the most points of anyone on the team. He was getting after it, trying to dominate and get bonus points for the team, which is huge."
Indiana vs. North Dakota State Results
125: Liam Cronin (IU) forfeit (NDSU) (IU 6, NDSU 0)
133: #7 Cameron Sykora (NDSU) technical fall Jonathan Moran (IU) 15-0/4:45 (IU 6, NDSU 5)
141: Sawyer Degen (NDSU) dec. Kyle Luigs (IU) 13-10 (NDSU 8, IU 6)
149: Graham Rooks (IU) dec. Jaden Van Maanen (NDSU) 2-1 (IU 9, NDSU 8 )
157: Jared Franek (NDSU) dec. Fernando Silva (IU) 5-4 (NDSU 11, IU 9)
165: #10 Andrew Fogarty (NDSU) fall Davey Tunon (IU) 5:28 (NDSU 17, IU 9)
174: #18 Jacob Covaciu (IU) dec. Jimmy Noel (NDSU) 11-4 (NDSU 17, IU 12)
184: Noah Cressel (NDSU) SV-1 Jake Hinz (IU) 8-6 (NDSU 20, IU 12)
197: Cordell Eaton (NDSU) dec. Spencer Irick (IU) 12-5 (NDSU 23, IU 12)
285: #26 Brandon Metz (NDSU) dec. Rudy Streck (IU) 3-1 (NDSU 26, IU 12)
Final NDSU: 26, Indiana: 12
Up next the Hoosiers travel to Northern Iowa in Cedar Falls, Iowa, for the UNI Open on Dec. 14.